Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOTV Post Repack

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Jason Kragt

WOTV Post Repack

Post by Jason Kragt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:16 pm

Has there been any news on WOTV's signal lately?

Before repack, they were one of my best signals in Saugatuck. Their STA is about to expire (April 3?). WZPX is coming in great so I assume this is just WOTV's temporary antenna height and pattern. I expect their signal to return soon out here, but am getting nervous. When will they be done?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WOTV Post Repack

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:33 pm

WMLW-TV in Milwaukee broadcasts on physical channel 17 (same channel as WOTV) from a very tall antenna that is maybe 2 miles from the waterfront.

If you are using an outdoor antenna, it would not surprise me if radio frequency interference from WMLW is disrupting your reception of WOTV.

WZZM really should have a fill-in translator in the Holland/Zeeland area. It's obvious to me that their owner, Tegna, doesn't give two rips about over-the-air signal penetration. A lot of people along & south of M-21 who watch over-the-air seem to have a very difficult time getting reception from WZZM and opt to watch WOTV instead.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:33 pm
WZZM really should have a fill-in translator in the Holland/Zeeland area. It's obvious to me that their owner, Tegna, doesn't give two rips about over-the-air signal penetration. A lot of people along & south of M-21 who watch over-the-air seem to have a very difficult time getting reception from WZZM and opt to watch WOTV instead.
I think that's the main reason why WZZM is reluctant to serve anyplace south of Grand Rapids, because they know viewers in the southern end of the market are more loyal to WOTV for ABC programming.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:26 pm

Just today Nextstar filed for six more months for WOTV, citing among other things that contracting a tower crew is unfortunately restricted due to the COVID-19 situation (as can be expected).

The attachments to this Tolling request (construction permit extension) provide the insight:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... e&goBack=N

The second filing, for the extension of STA, wasn’t as informative.

I’m going to guess that WLLA will soon have similar filings, since they also are using an interim antenna on the side of their tower across the street from WOTV.

I believe the only other TV station in our market on a STA is WMKG. They recently filed to have their current arrangement considered permanent. Their past filings noted they had ideas on where to locate their new antenna, but needed the FCC freeze on major modification filings to end.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info!

The one station that could really use a fill-in translator out here is WWMT. I never quite got why they wanted channel 8. WMVS is really powerful and that frequency floats across the lake easily.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:44 am

I suspect WOTV/Nexstar will not need the full six months. I am hopeful WOTV will be on its permanent facilities by the end of June.

I believe STAs in general are granted in six month increments.

WWMT probably wanted RF channel 8 because (a) it didn't want to be stuck on VHF-lo, and (b) it didn't want to pay the larger power bill associated with operation on UHF. With WOOD-TV, WGVU-TV and WZZM all being VHF-hi stations, WWMT probably wanted to "join the club."

WWMT definitely should have one or more translators along the lakeshore.

Too bad WMVS didn't go directional; there's really no need for them to throw a ton of RF across Lake Michigan.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 am

WOOD and WXMI were smart when they put translators on in the northern/western portions of the market (WOOD in Muskegon and Holland and WXMI in Muskegon and Hesperia). I also think WXMI has a translator or two in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area

I know WZZM had a translator in Kalamazoo in the station's very early days (before now-WOTV came on), but I'm somewhat surprised WZZM never put a translator in Cadillac, Manistee, or Traverse City before 29&8 came on.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:15 am

I wonder if Disney even cares about OTA. Even though they have two full-power ABC affiliates here, neither one is able to adequately serve the southwest corner of the DMA right now. Kind of sad when you think about it.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:43 am

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 am
WOOD and WXMI were smart when they put translators on in the northern/western portions of the market (WOOD in Muskegon and Holland and WXMI in Muskegon and Hesperia). I also think WXMI has a translator or two in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area

I know WZZM had a translator in Kalamazoo in the station's very early days (before now-WOTV came on), but I'm somewhat surprised WZZM never put a translator in Cadillac, Manistee, or Traverse City before 29&8 came on.
Maybe there is a limit to how far a signal can stretch outside of a market? If I recall from some cable information I found, Northern MI either pulled from ZZM (west side of 75) or JRT (east of 75) before WGTQ signed on

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:44 am
I suspect WOTV/Nexstar will not need the full six months. I am hopeful WOTV will be on its permanent facilities by the end of June.
Hey MWmetalhead, Jason Kragt, and All,

MW's prediction was very close regarding when WOTV would be using a new top-mounted antenna. Depending on any paperwork delay, they might have had things transitioned on 6/30. Further, today's License to Cover included a rather inconsquential surprise:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... d&goBack=N

From one of the two "Engineering Techincal Statement.pdf" attachments:

"...the station will operate with a Dielectric model TFU-26GTH/VP-R 04 elliptically polarized, nondirectional, top-mount antenna instead of the authorized Dielectric model TFU-22GTH/VP-R 04 elliptically polarized, nondirectional, top-mount antenna. ..."

and

"...the TFU-26GTH/VP-R 04 has four more bays than the TFU-22GTH/VP-R04...."

However the form's attached "Exhibit 2 - Countour Map.pdf" shows no real affect on predicted contours. Maybe a hair broader, but not enough to be depicted. And no ERP change is being made.

Jason, Are you receiving WOTV better now in Saugatuck? (Don't answer until this late afternoon's/evening's cloudbursts conclude. Much of Kent County has had quite the soaking these last few hours.)

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm not able to check right now but should be able to later this week. I did see the update online so I've been itching to try it out. Based on the documents and my strong reception of WZPX, I have high expectations for the new WOTV signal.

I just wish WWMT could be better out here. Milwaukee channels float over the lake way too easily here in summer. I hope WWMT can get the extra 200 feet they are requesting.

I've been thinking of pointing a spare attic antenna west to see how reliable Milwaukee and Green Bay can be here. Back in the analog days they were actually pretty reliable this time of year. Even a portable TV with a single rabbit ear could sometimes pull from across the lake.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:56 pm

Reception of most stations is very bad out here today on all my antennas, but WOTV comes in strong. WOTV fixed its problems out here for sure. It might even be my strongest signal now. I’ll know more when this current anomaly passes.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:30 pm

Jason Kragt wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:31 pm
I'm not able to check right now but should be able to later this week. I did see the update online so I've been itching to try it out. Based on the documents and my strong reception of WZPX, I have high expectations for the new WOTV signal.

I just wish WWMT could be better out here. Milwaukee channels float over the lake way too easily here in summer. I hope WWMT can get the extra 200 feet they are requesting.

I've been thinking of pointing a spare attic antenna west to see how reliable Milwaukee and Green Bay can be here. Back in the analog days they were actually pretty reliable this time of year. Even a portable TV with a single rabbit ear could sometimes pull from across the lake.
I once had steady signals from Chicago market TV stations 32 and 50 (virtual channels) from Manistique, using an unfurled jumbo paperclip for an antenna.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:08 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:30 pm
Jason Kragt wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:31 pm
I once had steady signals from Chicago market TV stations 32 and 50 (virtual channels) from Manistique, using an unfurled jumbo paperclip for an antenna.
Was this before or after the sign-on on WACY-TV in Green Bay (which, like WFLD Chicago, was on channel 32)?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:34 pm

I believe before.

Our last year renting a cabin near Manistique was 2010.

EDIT: The Door Peninsula may have also blocked WACY from being carried over Lake Michigan.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic