Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

April Nielsen Audio #'s for Grand Rapids - WOOD Radio soars; worst showing for WSNX in years

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

April Nielsen Audio #'s for Grand Rapids - WOOD Radio soars; worst showing for WSNX in years

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 22, 2020 5:12 pm

Very interesting stuff!

Not one, not two, but three (!!!) stations cracked 8 shares this time around.

Top honors go to Newsradio WOOD 1300/106.9, which has soared to levels not seen since Rick & Scott were still holding down the fort in late mornings. This is probably one of WOOD Radio's three best books of the past 25 years.

Blunder 107.3 has finally crossed the 2 share barrier - albeit barely - and trails B93 by a staggering 4:1 margin!

The hip-hop format at 104.9 is clearly impinging WSNX's numbers. I think the last time WSNX was in the low 4's might have been 1999 or 2000.

Rock stations were down across the board, except WBFX, whose incumbent AQH share was an already miserable 1.0 share.

The other big loser? Probably not a big surprise - ESPN 96.1. No live sports = boring sports talk & terrible ratings!!! That 1.0 share is probably a record low for the current format. They've lost 50 percent of their AQH share from two surveys ago.

Star 105.7 is also dangerously close to falling to an all-time record low. In fact, they may have reached it! I can never remember 105.7 MHz ever scoring a ho-hum 3.1 share. If it's happened, I bet it's happened no more than two other times in the past fifty years.

It would be interesting to see how COVID-19 has affected station cume.

originalzzmfmjock

Re: April Nielsen Audio #'s for Grand Rapids - WOOD Radio soars; worst showing for WSNX in years

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sat May 23, 2020 9:34 am

MW, you usually put a link to the ratings so the rest of us can see the numbers you are referring to. Any chance this time?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: April Nielsen Audio #'s for Grand Rapids - WOOD Radio soars; worst showing for WSNX in years

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 23, 2020 11:47 am

Thanks for posting the link; my absent mindedness caused me to forget to post it earlier. :blink

After further reflection, I seem to recall Star 105.7 having maybe one book in the upper 2's in a summer ratings period in the not too distant past.

I also failed to mention the big uptick for AM 1480; they're up to a 1.6!

With older folks being more likely to listen to AM/FM radio at home and far fewer people working in offices than usual in April, it doesn't surprise me that both Newsradio WOOD and AM 1480 saw big gains.

It's too bad that WVGR-FM is no longer listed in the beauty pageant numbers

famousprod

Post by famousprod » Sat May 23, 2020 6:10 pm

Good for Magic for doing exactly what the master plan looked like it be. The little station that is throwing the big stations in the Grand River. Why is Thunder still a format they pushing? SNX, are you guys there? Knock knock!

RandJob

Post by RandJob » Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Do WSNX and Star still have PDs or are they entirely piped in?

In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Based on WTRV's increase plus WGVU-AM's upward trend, it seems a lot of 50+ listeners got meters this time. Either that or listeners are actively seeking out 100.5 for softer music - note the nationwide trend of increases for classical stations. I'd be interested to see Blue Lake's numbers.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed May 27, 2020 8:54 am

If I were iHeart, I'd consider either taking WSNX into more of a Rhythmic direction or flipping 101.3 or 96.1 to Urban

option1

Post by option1 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:13 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:54 am
If I were iHeart, I'd consider either taking WSNX into more of a Rhythmic direction or flipping 101.3 or 96.1 to Urban
WSNX has always had the reputation in the market as the rhythmic alternative. They have shifted to a more pop leaning CHR recently, probably to protect themselves from mainstream WHTS and HotAC WLHT. The addition of a true rhythmic in 104.9 will expose them for sure. Adding a few more rhythmic titles to the mix should be enough to keep their P1’s happy long term. But taking it to a more rhythmic direction and selling out would be a mistake.

And flipping a station to Urban in Grand Rapids would be a financial disaster. There just isn’t enough ad dollars to support the format.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Magic 104.9 is hardcore Urban in at least some dayparts. Maybe its playlist isn't as harsh middays and early afternoons, but whenever I've tuned in, it sounds rougher than the WJLBs of the world and far rougher than WQHH.

I agree that ad sales will be a major challenge for 104.9 with its current sound.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic