Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Regarding Steve McGowan

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Pdaly67

Regarding Steve McGowan

Post by Pdaly67 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:55 pm

Steve was one of the original goshow rock jock at WERX. He also worked at WJEF as Cousin Kent. He passed away Wed Feb 19 at the age of 78 from a six month battle with bladder cancer.

originalzzmfmjock

Re: Regarding Steve McGowan

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:45 pm

Steve McGowan was my very first role model in radio. I met him in 1966 when he was working at WERX. I was only 14 years old at the time. Steve let me do some music research for him and even let me compile the end of the year Top 100 for WERX which aired on December 31, 1966. In early 1967 he was hired at WJFM to implement a new format they called the modern sound. He let me and my older brother assist him on the air on Saturday nights answering phones for the request night and pulling/filing away records. At the time WJFM was running it's fully licensed power of 500,000 (yup 5 hundred thousand) watts. We got calls from all over the mid west every Saturday night. Late in 1967 Steve got an offer to work on the country station down the hall and moved over to WJEF and stayed there until late 1969. Steve was a very good radio announcer, a fantastic production guy and a really nice person. Because of the interest he showed in me early in my life, I was able to start a radio career that continues today, 54 years after I first met Steve McGowan. He will be missed. RIP my friend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic