Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Meteorologist Aaron Ofseyer Leaving WZZM

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Localnewsisdead

Meteorologist Aaron Ofseyer Leaving WZZM

Post by Localnewsisdead » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 am

WZZM weekday morning Meteorologist Aaron Ofseyer announced Monday morning that he is leaving the station.

Here is his statement:

As leadership has recently changed, it has become clear now is the time to part ways with WZZM after almost nine years. Tuesday will be my last day on-air at 13 On Your Side.

This job has allowed me to work with some amazing people. I have made many lifelong friends. Past and present, some incredible people have graced the hallways of 645 3 Mile. Despite the tough hours, you all made it a bit easier to get up at 2:30 AM.

To West Michigan I say thank you. Thank you for being so welcoming to me after I moved cross-country from Oregon. Thank you for being so genuinely nice, not just “Michigan nice”. It has been fun getting to know so many of you. Even though I may have mispronounced Ravenna or Trufant a time or two, most of you didn’t hold it against me.

To my wife and kids, you have sacrificed a lot because of my career. You won’t have to be quiet in the afternoon anymore because dad is napping. And I won’t be tip-toeing around the house in the middle of the night trying not to wake everyone up. Plus, there’s a chance that I may grow to actually enjoy late summer sunsets now.

We won’t be leaving West Michigan anytime soon. If you see me in Meijer please say hello. Feel free to continue to blame/praise me for the weather. Just know that starting Wednesday I won’t be able to control it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Meteorologist Aaron Ofseyer Leaving WZZM

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:43 am

WOW.

They are dropping like flies over there.

Ofseyer was good. Really good. Sad to see him go.

This statement of his was quite interesting:
As leadership has recently changed, it has become clear now is the time to part ways with WZZM after almost nine years. Tuesday will be my last day on-air at 13 On Your Side.
So,
1) He is ticked off at somebody (new GM? new News Director?)
2) He is leaving the station abruptly, it would appear. My guess is we won't see a nice send-off article on the WZZM web site like we've all seen on the WOOD-TV web site for Marlee Ginter, Eva Aguirre Cooper, etc.

Honolulublue4life

Post by Honolulublue4life » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:35 pm

Wow!! So now they have to hire at least two meteorologist. My guess the people quitting over there isn't done yet. I really thought Aaron could have been the eventual replacement for chief. So far they haven't listed that job opening yet.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:51 am

Will be interesting to see where Aaron winds up given his statement they are staying in the area but does not say what he will be doing.

Gut feeling that once the non-compete clause expires, he'll wind up on WOOD doing the 7pm weather segments and become chief meteorologist there when Bill Steffen retires (Bill has to be in his late 60s or early 70s).

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

grsportsguy

Post by grsportsguy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:37 am

Sounds like a pretty good “eff you” to ZZM.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:44 pm

dwp49423 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:51 am
Will be interesting to see where Aaron winds up given his statement they are staying in the area but does not say what he will be doing.

Gut feeling that once the non-compete clause expires, he'll wind up on WOOD doing the 7pm weather segments and become chief meteorologist there when Bill Steffen retires (Bill has to be in his late 60s or early 70s).
I have a feeling Kirkwood is in line for the Chief spot when Bill retires.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:26 pm

A sincere blow to the entire broadcast community. We lost one of the good ones.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

Honolulublue4life

Post by Honolulublue4life » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Looks like Phil Dawson left too as his bio is no longer on the website

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Wow I didn't see Aaron leaving WZZM as it seems a lot are leaving TEGNA stations nationwide.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:31 am

WZZM must be pretty shitty to work at if on air staff go ti completely different fields (marketing, real estate, boat sales only one remotely close was Faran Fronczak who went to work for Russian Pro Trump network RT America

I imagine the longest stayed staff there (George lessens, val lego, Catherine Behrendt and Juliet dragos) are upper managements ass kissers.

Can Kristin Mazur on mornings and middays go somewhere, she is so repetitive and annoying in her segments She said "very cool" 10 times in one segmenr

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:17 pm

48125er wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:31 am
WZZM must be pretty shitty to work at if on air staff go ti completely different fields
I'm sure part of that is also because, at least for those who have put down roots in the GR area and own homes and are raising families, it's far easier to stay in the area and work in a different field (especially if it pays better) than to get a job at a tv station in a different market and have to pack up the family and move.

Not everyone can just pack up and move to a different market, or ride things out until the non-compete expires to stay in-market.

hanson

Post by hanson » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:05 am

Bull Shannon wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:44 pm
dwp49423 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:51 am

I have a feeling Kirkwood is in line for the Chief spot when Bill retires.
Kirkwood giggles too much to be taken seriously as a "chief" meteorologist

TC doesn't Talk

Post by TC doesn't Talk » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:14 am

:lol:

Localnewsisdead

Post by Localnewsisdead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Laura Hartman announced on Thursday morning that she'll be taking over week day mornings:

Real talk: In an effort to be transparent after two members of my weather team are departing, I wanted to share some news with you - I am excited to announce I'll be moving to weekday mornings.

This will be a tough transition for many - Aaron has a tremendous sense of humor, sharp wit and over a decade of weather experience, none of which can be replaced.

I have struggled with feeling happy for myself amidst the departures in the weather department. Aaron and Alana are two very talented meteorologists, not to mention good friends, and their departures will leave H*** holes. But they will go on to achieve great things, no doubt in my mind.

West Michigan is my home and I look forward to continue telling you the forecast.

Pot it up

Post by Pot it up » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Tegna loves to cut costs, always has, always will. Many thought the revolving door might slow once Janet Mason left, but no. Hard to watch that station.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic