Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

LAV STA/application status

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
cckadlec

LAV STA/application status

Post by cckadlec » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi all. I believe that the old post about LAV's transmitter location, STA, etc. was wiped out during the last site issue as it appears to be, well, wiped out.

I'm doing some radio work (involving station distance, which requires the accurate location of the station over the summer) and attempting to find the current(ish) location of the transmitter given all the moves, predicted and applied-for moves, and so on.

I assume that it's still running from the STA site at 107.3's tower. I can still hear K-Love (W245AK) in its null here in Fremont and of course, The Drive still beats it up badly, both of which started when it moved to that site. The signal seems to remain unchanged in its power and behavior since that initial move and I recall others echoing that point that they had not moved to Allendale as of a few months ago.

I don't ever find myself in Allendale or out by the 107.3 tower, so testing the signal levels myself would be burdensome. Can anyone who has more info chime in on this to help me out? It'd be appreciated.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

originalzzmfmjock

Re: LAV STA/application status

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:02 pm

From information I've seen, heard and read, I believe they are now transmitting from the Allendale site.

weathernut

Post by weathernut » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:06 pm

Definitely transmitting from Allendale. When they were transmitting from 107.3 sight they were fading out at the 97/31 interchange and were not coming in well in Holland. They are now consistently listenable to Shelby and to the Ganges area. When on 107.3 tower they were also coming in quite well north of Big Rapids. Now they are getting lost around M-20/131.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:27 pm

Any idea of just *when* this move to Allendale may have occurred? This is the problem with the crappy issue of this site losing tons of posts whenever something happens; all this information gets lost.

I have numerous bandscans over the summer that include LAV. It would be nice to have an accurate transmitter site for all of them. I suppose I may have to ask the station (as if THAT would get much of a response) for a specific date...

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:34 pm

The recent thread wasn't lost; it appears on the very first page of the Grand Rapids forum thread listing, in fact.

The switchover occurred in late July.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45500

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Oh snap!! I had browsed the results through two pages of the Grand Rapids forum (obviously missed it despite it even being marked with the little flame) and then to be sure, I used the search function searching for both "LAV" and "WLAV" and that post appears under *neither* search terms. I had recalled it being re-created to some extent, but still managed to skip over it in my searching, followed by the site's search ignoring it.

Either way, I e-mailed the station hoping they can clarify the information without speculation among us all (about a minute before your reply). I have numerous Lake Michigan bandscans performed over the summer, so I had thought it would be nice to know from which site they originated during each, being sure where they were at what time, at least being certain of it specifically.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Unfortunately, search doesn't work well with acronyms or short words. Sorry about that.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:08 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:57 pm
Unfortunately, search doesn't work well with acronyms or short words. Sorry about that.
Ha, it's okay. I should have seen the topic to start with (as detailed as I usually am!)

Nice to have some information to start with though. It's always a complication with those STAs, applications, CPs, etc. and never quite knowing what a station may be operating under. Or even stations operating under expired STAs. The ones up in the Soo are still on STAs (permanently I assume) and struggle to stay on the air reliably.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:01 am

cckadlec wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:08 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:57 pm
Ha, it's okay. I should have seen the topic to start with (as detailed as I usually am!)

Nice to have some information to start with though. It's always a complication with those STAs, applications, CPs, etc. and never quite knowing what a station may be operating under. Or even stations operating under expired STAs. The ones up in the Soo are still on STAs (permanently I assume) and struggle to stay on the air reliably.
The odd thing about the Soo stations under STA (99.5 WYSS and 105.5 WMKD) is that they have a sister station (101.3 WSUE) still operating at 100kW

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Definitely broadcasting from Allendale.

Didn't get a listenable signal until the Ionia exit off I-96. Still some fluttering and picket fencing.

Didn't get a clean signal until the Lake Odessa exit.

My guess is they are on the STA facilities still in Allendale. Very good signal in SW Kent County.

wsummers

Post by wsummers » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:59 pm

The odd thing about the Soo stations under STA (99.5 WYSS and 105.5 WMKD) is that they have a sister station (101.3 WSUE) still operating at 100kW
Not so odd since WSUE uses a different tower.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 pm

WLAV is coming in crystal clear indoors in Byron Twp. Not a surprise, as even 98.3 Holy Family Radio tunes in easily on that same receiver.

WLAV is a bit stronger here from the GVSU site than its longtime Egypt Valley site. Will be fun to see how powerful the signal gets once they crank up to full power. :)

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:19 pm

Word from the station is that the signal came into use from the Allendale site at 7pm on July 16th. Until the Nash move occurs on 97.5, LAV is running their licensed 7.2kw. They hope to be at full power - 43kw - by January, but don't seem to have high hopes for that at this time.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:44 am

Wow, that is a long way off still.

Why not run 97.5 at reduced power via STA so WLAV can complete its upgrade sooner?

I'd be stunned if 97.5 bills more than 6 or 7 percent of what WLAV bills.

Anyway, thanks for the info. :)

radionut

Post by radionut » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:44 am
Wow, that is a long way off still.

Why not run 97.5 at reduced power via STA so WLAV can complete its upgrade sooner?
It's not a power thing. It's a physical location issue. Yeah...Stupid I know. The commission is so concerned about this, but not the Translators stepping on Full Power stations and even short spacing them (WLCS for example)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic