Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Can You Tell Me Before Friday Night...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Trophyhead

Can You Tell Me Before Friday Night...

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 pm

What Cumulus signal will be carrying the Michigan State-Tulsa football game?

The Spartan Sports Network website says it's 107.3 WBBL, which shows a general lack of attentiveness from the content bearers for my alma mater.

I will actually be at the Steely Dan/Rick Derringer concert at Soaring Eagle, but, it's a long season and I hope things become clear, soon.

handbanana

Re: Can You Tell Me Before Friday Night...

Post by handbanana » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 pm

MSU sports cancelled their deal with Cumulus after they dumped sports.

They're now a part of iHeartRadio. I imagine ESPN 96.1 or the Brew on 101.3 would be where it lands. Unless perhaps WOOD would run the games when there's no UM conflict.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:46 pm

I reached out to a Facebook friend who is a heartbeat away from iHeart GR's choice-making and you are right, primarily 96.1, always Spartan games on an FM signal, with 101.3 the likely landing place when there are Grand Valley/MSU conflicts.

It seems that Michigan fans would raise some sort of stink about MSU games airing on WOOD, considering the amount of branding that 106.9/1300 offers as "your Michigan Football/Basketball station."

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:50 pm

When I was in GR, I heard promos about MSU on 96.1 and the Lions on 96.9

weathernut

Post by weathernut » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:02 pm

format this

Post by format this » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 am

ftballfan wrote:When I was in GR, I heard promos about MSU on 96.1 and the Lions on 96.9
WMU football is on 101.3, I believe, so that could open up WMAX for MSU football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:01 pm

weathernut, your brief suggestion to check the Spartan Sports Network affiliate page shows the GR outlet as WBBL, 107.3. No help found there, can't tell by your name if you are a tree nut or a legume.

96.1 has been where iHeart GR parked Grand Valley football, so it's not entirely "open," format this. You are correct in that Western is presented on "The Brew."

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:45 pm

handbanana wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 pm
MSU sports cancelled their deal with Cumulus after they dumped sports.

They're now a part of iHeartRadio. I imagine ESPN 96.1 or the Brew on 101.3 would be where it lands. Unless perhaps WOOD would run the games when there's no UM conflict.
Hi All,

Bret on the WOOD 1300 morning show has been touting how checking their "Sports Insider" link will be useful. Seeing this post caused me to seek it out.

Indeed, I'm guessing this link will remain rather static:

https://woodradio.iheart.com/featured/t ... s-insider/

With the specific line-up for the next few days detailed in this post:

https://woodradio.iheart.com/featured/t ... -michigan/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm with the others that noted that the MSU network site affiliates page needs a makeover to reflect the Cumulus exodus. Spartans fans were not thrilled at all when initially in January Cumulus moved basketball off 107.3 as part of the format flip on to the AM dial (WJRW 1340am). I know, as a coworker was fuming...green steam, I swear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So 96.1 for this Friday night's Spartan action. And I think when iHeart West Michigan announced the affiliation they stated that "generally" 96.1 FM for football and 101.3 for basketball will hold true.

I'm kind of curious in a morbid way to see where GVSU sports land within iHeart on certain dates. Per their recent post, they're expecting to be on 96.1 with no asterisk nor fine print (for now).

And thus far, still no GR affiliate for my alma mater Ferris State.

Go Dawgs! ~~ Statmanmi

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:03 pm

weathernut wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:02 pm
This could help
http://www.spartansportsnetwork.com/Affiliates
You clearly didn't read the original post which says that very link still lists WBBL as the GR-area affiliate station.

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:43 am

statmanmi wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:45 pm

I'm with the others that noted that the MSU network site affiliates page needs a makeover to reflect the Cumulus exodus. Spartans fans were not thrilled at all when initially in January Cumulus moved basketball off 107.3 as part of the format flip on to the AM dial (WJRW 1340am). I know, as a coworker was fuming...green steam, I swear.
Cumulus didn't move the games from 107.3FM, MSU required them to honor their commitment.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Spot on handbanana!

My Spartan work buddy couldn’t recall if at least one or two hoops games were off 107.3 FM & only on AM before Cumulus got pressed hard from East Lansing and/or Tieman’s group to honor the expectation of having the full coverage area that 107.3 affords.

I’ll dare to guess that Tieman had decided by the end of January that broadcasts would be gone from Cumulus in GR. Probably just a matter then if Townsquare or iHeart would yield the best opportunity.

Go Green! ~~ Statmanmi

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:25 pm

statmanmi wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm
My Spartan work buddy couldn’t recall if at least one or two hoops games were off 107.3 FM & only on AM before Cumulus got pressed hard from East Lansing and/or Tieman’s group to honor the expectation of having the full coverage area that 107.3 affords.
Go Green! ~~ Statmanmi
You might be right, some of them may have aired on the AM side early, I just remember listening to the Spartan tourney games on 107.3, I can't even pull in 1340 in my truck.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:59 pm

Regardless of what Michigan fans think, the affiliate agreements all get honored on Saturday night, as 96.1 carries Grand Valley-Edinboro, 101.3 has Western's broadcast from Spartan stadium and George Blaha is heard on 106.9/1300 stating MSU's case against the Broncos.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:49 pm

WMU games on 101.3...

Now that's what I call a shit sandwich!!!

A shitty Division I program on one super shitty FM radio station!

statmanmi

Re: Can You Tell Me Before Friday Night...Spartans

Post by statmanmi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Not to throw gasoline on the fire, but rather to offer the factual truth:

My attempts to tune in Spartan football on the car radio in Kent County Saturday afternoon (10/12) brought to light that the WMU broadcast on 101.3 had to conclude before the transition to the Spartan coverage.

Thus, the first portion of the game was absent.

I'm not sure how long the WMU broadcast continued past the clock reaching 00:00. There was a bit of post-game banter, and then I reached my destination and wasn't listening for awhile. That was at 3:45pm or so.

About an hour later I was back in my auto, and Blaha was available.

I kind of wish now that I had been able to listen to see if 101.3 did a quick cut over from WMU to MSU...or if they perhaps needed to honor some commitment to minimum minutes of post-game chatting. Oh well.

Go Green! ~ Statmanmi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic