Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jay Allen has cancer

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Big-D

Jay Allen has cancer

Post by Big-D » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:20 pm

There’s a post on Jay Allen’s Facebook page that he has been diagnosed with gallbladder cancer that has spread to his liver and lungs and possibly in his lymph nodes.

Jay Allen was best known as the sports guy on WKLQ’s Q Morning Zoo in the early 90s working alongside Darla Jaye and the late Rick Beckett. Jay Allen left KLQ in the mid 90s to join WOOD Radio as the sports guy on the morning show with Gary Allen. He was just hired by the Detroit Tigers as their public address announcer earlier this season.

I hope Jay kicks cancer’s ass.

Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; WMTB-LP 96.7, St. Petersburg, FL. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.

TC Talks

Re: Jay Allen has cancer

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:23 am

Big Bummer.

We hired Jay to do the PA announcing for the Grand Rapids Hoops after Rick Berkey left.

He and I started swapping our favorite cheap ass radio station owner stories and he told me about the time he was given a set of snow tires as a Christmas bonus.

Get well Jay.
Last edited by TC Talks on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

SteveL

Post by SteveL » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:58 am

Well, a set of snow tires certainly beats the $2.99 clock radio they gave us as a "Christmas bonus" the year after LAV/KLQ merged. That being said, Jay is a terrific broadcaster and an even better person. All the best to him and his family.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 pm

I do not know this fellow, nor have I ever met him, but I send my best well wishes his way and hope he makes a complete recovery. Kick cancer's ass!!!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Localnewsisdead

Post by Localnewsisdead » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:44 am

Tigers PA announcer Allen diagnosed with cancer:

https://www.woodtv.com/sports/detroit-t ... th-cancer/

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:53 am

That is a shame.......may God help him thru this

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Enjoyed listening to Jay Allen during his time at WOOD 1300.
Jay Allen left KLQ in the mid 90s to join WOOD Radio as the sports guy on the morning show with Gary Allen.
Not quite. He left KLQ around 1993 to co-host mornings with Michelle McCormick at WGRD. He was hired to fill the vacancy that was created when Kevin Gossett left to join WASH-FM in Washington, D.C.

Jay's time at WGRD didn't last long. Back at KLQ, Scott Winters replaced Jay.

Jay and Michelle on WGRD were replaced by Kevin Matthews (simulcast of his WLUP-FM morning show), who in turn was replaced by Rick, Darla & Scott.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Jay was at WOOD and left just as they were set to carry Whitecaps games, where he would have been in the booth with Rick Berkey as their first broadcast team in 1994.

That didn't alienate him with the Clear Channel crowd, as he filled in as 1300's morning show sports guy on many occasions in the years that followed.

I pray that he beats this and gets to continue as desired at Comerica.

Big-D

Post by Big-D » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:08 am

This very sad update was posted to “Jay’s Crazy Cancer Journey” Facebook page:

“I don’t even know how to write this. Jay is in kidney failure due to the cancer. There isn’t anything they can do to reverse the damage to the kidneys. They are going to try dialysis but they really don’t think it will help. Jay wants to try because then he knows he has done everything. No more chemo. They have given him 7 days. His faith is still strong. He amazes me. Dont stop praying because as Jay says “as long as there’s breath, theres hope”. We can’t thank you enough for all your love and support. Our hearts are breaking but we will love him through this. Aj and Erica are flying in tomorrow so we can do this as a family. God is still good and he didn’t make this happen. We can’t be angry. I have my questions for the Big Guy but I don’t blame him. Please pray for my kids, I lost my dad and I know the pain.

Love, Peace and Friendship
Lisa, Jay, Aly, Aj, Erica, Faith and Brett”

Southpaws airs Saturday nights at 11:00 on Global Community Radio Channel 1; weekly on Pacifica Radio affiliates KCEI-FM 90.1, Taos, NM; KZGM-FM 88.1, Cabool, MO; WMTB-LP 96.7, St. Petersburg, FL. Available on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, & Pandora.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:46 am

On MLive just now, Jay passed away earlier today.

God Rest and Welcome his soul. I remember him doing Hoops public address in Van Andel 20 years ago, where he sounded great on that job. Wish I had heard him at the task at Comerica.

grsportsguy

Post by grsportsguy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:08 pm

Such a shame. He was a really good guy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:02 am

So this initial post was made in early August, and he just recently lost the battle. Maybe a time frame of 5-7, from potential diagnosis to death. Really puts things in perspective. Your life is comprised just like that. In the event any family or close friends read this, I hope for the very best for all of you and I'm saddened to have read this news. Peace be with you!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic