Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Townsquare GR scores big name as new OM

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Townsquare GR scores big name as new OM

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 31, 2019 6:32 pm

Per RadioInsight, Brian Thomas is the new cluster OM.

In recent years, he has programmed 101 WCBS and 94.7 WLS-FM.

Until very recently, he was OM/PD of Kicks 101.5 in Atlanta (an appointment that didn't make much sense to me since his background seems to be largely non-country radio).

How interesting that the guy who helped restore 101 CBS-FM now has the reins of WFGR!

Also noteworthy - he helped launch Fresh 102.7 in the big apple, the first successful brand at that dial position in many years.

Realist

Re: Townsquare GR scores big name as new OM

Post by Realist » Fri May 31, 2019 8:22 pm

Maybe he can also help GRD return to its true active rock roots...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 31, 2019 8:36 pm

That would be terrific, but I don't believe he has much if any rock radio background.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:59 am

I've noticed WFGR is playing a lot more 90s music compared to a year ago

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:22 am

Other stations on his resume:
- The former KFRC in San Francisco (classic hits)
- B97 in New Orleans (CHR/Top 40)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:33 am

Here's the type of playlist WGRD *should* feature (minus the crappy "Elevate" song from Papa Roach):

http://wrkz.tunegenie.com/

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:32 pm

Another interesting Townsquare GR item: Doug Montgomery (I assume that it is the same guy that was at iHeart/CC for a number of years) is now PD of WLHT: https://mix957gr.com/help/

A bit odd that there was no press release about this hire.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:32 pm

Until very recently, he was OM/PD of Kicks 101.5 in Atlanta (an appointment that didn't make much sense to me since his background seems to be largely non-country radio).

How interesting that the guy who helped restore 101 CBS-FM now has the reins of WFGR!

Also noteworthy - he helped launch Fresh 102.7 in the big apple, the first successful brand at that dial position in many years.
OMFG, I can't imagine the circumstances that would persuade someone with his resume' to move from Atlanta to Grand Rapids. The shitty weather alone would be enough to talk most people out of it. There would have to be wheelbarrows full of cash, and stock options to get most people up there. What can Clownsquare be paying him?

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:36 am

He's going to be the format captain for Townsquare's Classic Hits stations, and although that might seem impressive on paper, let's remember that Townsquare mostly does business in piss ant-sized markets (and only a fraction of those markets have a classic hits station).

In fact, nationwide, Townsquare's two largest markets are Buffalo and Grand Rapids, and in Buffalo, the Classic Hits station is owned by iFart.

So, basically, the reason he is in G.R. is because that is the largest market where Townsquare actually owns a Classic Hits formatted radio station.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:54 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:32 pm

OMFG, I can't imagine the circumstances that would persuade someone with his resume' to move from Atlanta to Grand Rapids. The shitty weather alone would be enough to talk most people out of it. There would have to be wheelbarrows full of cash, and stock options to get most people up there. What can Clownsquare be paying him?
Maybe he's trying to stay one step ahead of the law...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic