Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Ticket West Michigan

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

The Ticket West Michigan

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Is 106.1 ever going to make it to the air?

The random social media geek at Cumulus (Ken Evans?) two weeks ago blamed the "government shutdown."

That said, the CP was granted February 1. Two weeks ago. Is Cumulus simply waiting on a tower crew?

JeremyAndrews

Re: The Ticket West Michigan

Post by JeremyAndrews » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 pm

They have to order equipment (Antenna, Transmitter, Processing) then they have to setup STL, all of that. Depending on how much of a hurry they are in, it could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. From what I’ve seen elsewhere in the past, it can take a couple months.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:56 am

Usually they wait for Spring. Cumulus WWCK (AM) also has a CP for a translator on 107.3 in Flint. Don't know if the same crew will install all of Cumulus' CPs.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 am

So why did these clowns beat their chest & proclaim the week of January 21 as the week this new station would take to the airwaves?

Some people in radio sure love to mislead their listeners & advertisers, IMO.

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 am

When we were building a new plant for 99.9, we were told feedline for the tx was in HIGH demand due to the tv repack. I think everything right now is either difficult to get or backordered.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Do they need 1/2 inch or 7/8 inch? I have some half inch from a ham's estate sale. He got it in Dayton. I'll trade it for the price of ComStudy. :rollin

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

RedRamage

Post by RedRamage » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Being completely ignorant on this topic, I'm wondering out loud: how much would an install/setup like this be effected by weather? Obviously we had the polar vortex issues but even beyond that we've had plenty of days here in West Michigan with temps well below freezing.

Are these components sensitive to extreme cold at all, at least while being setup?

I'm sure the crews would obviously be sensitive to it, but we've had enough days of warm temps (relatively speaking) that they could have done the work then I'd think.

Localnewsisdead

Post by Localnewsisdead » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:34 pm

(A tad bit off topic but still related to The Ticket West Michigan)

Just had this come across my facebook news feed:

Due to popular demand TheTicketMI.com is proud to welcome one of West Michigan's sports talk pioneers back to Grand Rapids' airwaves.

More info on the return of Sean Baligian coming soon.

Sean is taking over Matt Shepard's show so Shep can handle his duties working as Tigers play by play guy for Fox Sports Detroit.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... WYgYRCwA7c

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Certainly didn't think, despite protests to the contrary that came out at the time of his selection for the Tigers PBP job, defending Shepard as a workhorse that he could manage to do right by his FSD duties and ALSO host a morning show.

The longer they dally on creating this FM local signal, the longer 107.3 carries MSU basketball, which suits me fine. That's all I am after from them.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:13 am

Are these clowns still lying to their audience as to the real reason behind 106.1's sign-on delay?

radionut

Post by radionut » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:09 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:13 am
Are these clowns still lying to their audience as to the real reason behind 106.1's sign-on delay?
Why do you think they are lying? It comes down to the Big guy not knowing what the hell is really going on and announcing to everyone a target date for 106.1 turning on when he doesn't even know for sure.

When you are issued a Construction Permit for any new build. There are conditions of the Permit that must be met. Until all those conditions are met you are suppose to not turn it on. Keep in mind the translator is mounted on the WJRW Tower. This means that once the equipment installed you must file what is called a "Direct Impedance Measurement" for the Tower. Until this is done, submitted to the FCC & Approved. You shouldn't turn it on.

According to the FCC site this form isn't filed yet. From what I've heard the station has been on the air for setup and testing. It's not on at the moment, but I have to guess it's getting close.

It's not necessarily as easy as people on this board think.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am

Accepted for Filing.

Impedance changed more than 2%, so has to file for direct measurement of power. Not a big deal. And I wonder if there should be different threshold for omni vs. DA. Thoughts?

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... num=200865

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

radionut

Post by radionut » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:44 am

CK-722 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am
Impedance changed more than 2%, so has to file for direct measurement of power. Not a big deal. And I wonder if there should be different threshold for omni vs. DA. Thoughts?
It's 2% for the tower that is affected by the change.

RedRamage

Post by RedRamage » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:25 pm

radionut wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:09 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:13 am
Why do you think they are lying? It comes down to the Big guy not knowing what the hell is really going on and announcing to everyone a target date for 106.1 turning on when he doesn't even know for sure.
Because as much of a buffoon I may think he is, he's not a complete and total idiot, so I don't think he really thinks that it will be up and running by [insert date here].

I think it was on Wednesday or Thursday of last week when I heard some promo from him saying it would be up and running within the week... so, we'll see.

statmanmi

106.1 FM on the air right now

Post by statmanmi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:11 pm

I can confirm that 106.1 FM is on the air right now. Jim Rome is talking NHL.

I missed the top of the hour ID.

Solid reception on my car’s radio at 68th St. & 131.

Is it geeky that I was catching up over lunch on mibuzzboard postings, saw this tread being bumped, & could offer real-time status info.? Oh well.

Cheers! — Statmanmi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic