Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

97.3 Grand Rapids shut down

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
jm

Re: 97.3 Grand Rapids shut down

Post by jm » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:00 pm

OriginalWZZM and Trophyhead. There is still work to be completed.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Getting back to 97.3 in Grand Rapids - the audio sounds the cleanest it"s ever been and signal strength is now on par with 103.7.

The station clearly is not going off the air. Perhaps someone else is running it these days; I have no idea.

jm

Post by jm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Trophyhead and ZZM, I'd be interested in signal reports now. The main transmitter wasn't back on until yesterday (2/14).
Before then the ERP was probably only 650 watts. It should be better to the south, because there was a shadow from a tower leg at the old location.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 pm

jm wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 pm
Trophyhead and ZZM, I'd be interested in signal reports now. The main transmitter wasn't back on until yesterday (2/14).
Before then the ERP was probably only 650 watts. It should be better to the south, because there was a shadow from a tower leg at the old location.
WDEE has a better signal than they had before after they came back on the air, but the signal level is at about 75% of what it original was, according to my radio's dBµ (I use only one radio at this same location over many years, so the signal comparison is legit and is rarely affected by conditions as it's not far enough away for that).

It was always a steady 45dBµ, which is pretty darn strong, never any signal holes short of strong tropo and even then, move the radio 1mm. and lose whatever else is there. Before this week, it was down to 20dBµ and would actually near completely drop out on the car radio through downtown Fremont even - as recently as last week - which is ABYSMAL for a local that used to crush everything else. I was flabbergasted at that, figuring it was at its full-power after whatever they did. Its signal level is all over depending on where I walk with the radio, generally between 25 and just under 40dBµ. I can still hear Milwaukee in spots, so they've had a pretty hefty signal downgrade, whatever they did.

And with a signal like that, the big ones on 97.3 (Oak Harbor, among others) will be rather easily heard here in the summertime. Hard to complain about that...
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:13 pm
Getting back to 97.3 in Grand Rapids - the audio sounds the cleanest it"s ever been and signal strength is now on par with 103.7.

The station clearly is not going off the air. Perhaps someone else is running it these days; I have no idea.
Clearly the "station going off the air" was resolved a day or two after they came back ON the air after the original post was made. I doubt there has been any concern since. Some crap went down, they went off, and obviously someone picked up the ball and gave them whatever they needed to get back on, and that was that.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic