Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Spectrum subscribers lose access to WXMI

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Spectrum subscribers lose access to WXMI

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:47 am

https://fox17online.com/2019/01/04/trib ... bscribers/

Horrible timing given the fact NFL playoffs are about to get underway.

Schyster

Re: Spectrum subscribers lose access to WXMI

Post by Schyster » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 am

I think we are going to see a lot more of this, as large station owners continue to demand big money for broadcasts they give away for free over the air. My cable provider breaks down the fee paid to local providers, and it is now up to $13/month. For free over the air channels. I noticed WOOD isn't even promoting the fact that their station can be viewed over the air (for free) to Acentek viewers.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Spectrum claims Tribune wants triple the old amount. Tribune says this wrong and they only want fair compensation. However, neither side has disclosed numbers. Am curious how much it is per subscriber per month.

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am

Saw on Facebook that WXMI is back on Spectrum as of this morning

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Spectrum customers - keep an eye on your cable bills. If your rate goes up, you can thank WXMI.

WXMI is full of shit when they say " you deserve to get the channels you are paying for."

The only reason you are paying for WXMI and other local broadcast channels is because those local broadcasters require cable companies to pay them a fee in exchange for carrying for those channels. The cable company then passes those fees on to their subscribers.

Local broadcasters owned by hedge funds or publicly traded companies hate it when you watch their programming over the air and cancel cable. Major network affiliates often earn 40% or even 50% of their annual revenue from retransmission consent fees paid to them by cable & sat providers.

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Yeah, screw 'em. I have an antenna in the air and get broadcast HD for free. I only subscribe to Netflix.

Whenever I am at someone's house with cable or dish, I am flabbergasted at how many commercials are on the channels they pay (often $100 to $200 a month) for.

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 pm

I have digital antenna and Hulu Live. Between FS1 on Hulu and WXMI on antenna you really only need an internet connection and say good bye to local channel fees.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic