All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

C'mon Storm Team 8!!!!

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

C'mon Storm Team 8!!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Why on earth would these ding-dongs simulcast their tornado warning coverage for the Battle Creek area on WOOD AM/FM of all stations?

Are they oblivious to the fact 1300 & 106.9 FM's over-the-air signals come nowhere close to Battle Creek?

106.9 FM is licensed to MUSKEGON whereas AM 1300's signal is severely directional, with the main lobe aimed north and northeastward, away from areas south of GR. Both stations are already fuzzy by the time one gets to Plainwell, and each is completely unreceivable under normal conditions along the I-94 corridor.

Star 105.7 would've been a far more practical choice for such a simulcast.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

uncleducky

Re: C'mon Storm Team 8!!!!

Post by uncleducky » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:38 pm

I like to know why they were on air when the tornado warning was going on in Kalamazoo County.

CrazyCool

Post by CrazyCool » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Why on earth would you blame Storm Cream 8 for it simul-casting on wood radio? When woodTV and wood radio are not the same thing

format this

Post by format this » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:35 pm

uncleducky wrote:I like to know why they were on air when the tornado warning was going on in Kalamazoo County.
Because WOOD-TV is the NBC affiliate for Kalamazoo. Same reason WWMT covers Grand Rapids. I'm sorry but that was a dumb statement.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:11 am

I'm not sure if it is iFart or 8 who makes the call in those situations, Crazy. But it was Kyle Underwood who was plugging the simulcast in his Twitter feed.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Is the WOOD-TV contract solely for the WOOD radio stations, or are they doing news/weather bits for all CC/iHeart stations in the area?

Underwood may have just named WOOD radio out of simplicity, not realizing those stations don't really cover B.C.

Also:
uncleducky wrote:I like to know why they were on air when the tornado warning was going on in Kalamazoo County.
Why wouldn't they be on the air?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Is the WOOD-TV contract solely for the WOOD radio stations, or are they doing news/weather bits for all CC/iHeart stations in the area?
I've heard 8's meteorologists on Star 105.7, B93, and Newsradio WOOD. Not sure if they are heard on any of the other iFart stations in the region, such as WMUS.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Most of the local forecasters (and NWS/NOAA) have been surprisingly restrained and cautious with regard to the severe wx threat on Monday.

In reviewing the SPC short-range forecast products and those provided by AccuWeather's HazWx.com service, I can honestly say numerous severe weather parameters are very high for Monday afternoon and evening. In recent years, this is perhaps the most bullish set of model predictions I've seen with there being anything less than a Moderate risk outlooked for us!

There must be some concern that further model runs will produce different or less favorable results and/or that debris clouds from tonight's activity will help to put a kabash on new development during peak heating hours of the day.

Some considerations:
--HazWx.com "Significant Tornado Parameter" for the area from Traverse City to Hastings is north of 6, with a bullseye of "7" running fairly parallel to M-37 from about Kentwood to west of Baldwin. My understanding is readings this high are considered a rarity.
--Craven-Brooks significant severe index is very high (confidence interval is 90%+ for readings of at least 40000)
--90% confidence that Lift Index (LI) will be -4 or lower.
--There will be a tongue of surface CAPE across central & south central lower Michigan of 2000 joules/KG (not an exceptionally high reading unto itself, but it's fairly significant when considered in tandem with the other factors)
--Supercell composite parameter is >6 with 90% confidence
--Significant tornado parameter is 5 with 70% confidence (not quite as aggressive as AccuWeather's product, but that is still a high reading nonetheless)
--1km Helicity is >150m-squared/s-squared with 90% confidence

bixpchiphead

Post by bixpchiphead » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Most of the local forecasters (and NWS/NOAA) have been surprisingly restrained and cautious with regard to the severe wx threat on Monday.

In reviewing the SPC short-range forecast products and those provided by AccuWeather's HazWx.com service, I can honestly say numerous severe weather parameters are very high for Monday afternoon and evening. In recent years, this is perhaps the most bullish set of model predictions I've seen with there being anything less than a Moderate risk outlooked for us!

There must be some concern that further model runs will produce different or less favorable results and/or that debris clouds from tonight's activity will help to put a kabash on new development during peak heating hours of the day.

Some considerations:
--HazWx.com "Significant Tornado Parameter" for the area from Traverse City to Hastings is north of 6, with a bullseye of "7" running fairly parallel to M-37 from about Kentwood to west of Baldwin. My understanding is readings this high are considered a rarity.
--Craven-Brooks significant severe index is very high (confidence interval is 90%+ for readings of at least 40000)
--90% confidence that Lift Index (LI) will be -4 or lower.
--There will be a tongue of surface CAPE across central & south central lower Michigan of 2000 joules/KG (not an exceptionally high reading unto itself, but it's fairly significant when considered in tandem with the other factors)
--Supercell composite parameter is >6 with 90% confidence
--Significant tornado parameter is 5 with 70% confidence (not quite as aggressive as AccuWeather's product, but that is still a high reading nonetheless)
--1km Helicity is >150m-squared/s-squared with 90% confidence

From Skilling and co. http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have gone through Hell.

I Wish You Well...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Cool site; thanks for sharing that link! :)

bixpchiphead

Post by bixpchiphead » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:Cool site; thanks for sharing that link! :)
I like it a lot too.

When Tribune's Indy cluster picked up the CBS affiliation, the wx pages of their website(s) there upgraded to this model.

It would be neat if 'XMI Fox17 upgraded their wx pages to this model, I'm guessing the only thing stopping them is not enough personnel.

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have gone through Hell.

I Wish You Well...

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:46 am

bixpchiphead wrote:From Skilling and co. http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog
Thanks for the link! I miss Skilling's segments with Garry Meier on WGN Radio. His predictions, both long and short term, were almost always spot-on.

YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic