All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Craig Russell Out At WFGR

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Deleted User 8570

Craig Russell Out At WFGR

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Apparently he is looking for his "Next great opportunity". He was the Assistant PD, Music Director and Afternoon Drive host as well as an imaging voice at WFGR and Production Director for the entire Townsquare cluster.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archi ... sell-exits

Milk

Re: Craig Russell Out At WFGR

Post by Milk » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:14 pm

I wish him the best!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Same here; I hope this leads to bigger & better things for him.

I bet Townsquare winds up filling the vacancy from within. Probably one of the folks on 100.5 will be asked to cover the afternoon shift on 98.7, or one of the part-timers will be handed the reins, etc. Wouldn't be completely surprised to see one of the 95.7 jocks voicetrack it. That would suck; afternoon drive should be LIVE.

MEMO TO WNIC AND MIX 92.3: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! IT IS LOUD, DISTORTED, AND MAKES THE LISTENING EXPERIENCE FATIGUING!!!.

farmer161

Post by farmer161 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Just read Townsquare flipped an Albany, NY station to all Christmas music "24/7/365/52". Billing it as "Santa 105.7"...hmmm maybe there is hope for the river.

format this

Post by format this » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:09 am

Craig did mention his options are limited to the state of Michigan (from his FB page)... if that's the case, his options seem rather limited with his air persona... AC and country seem out of the mix, and too wound for rock. I hope he finds a home soon... he is one of the good guys.

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Zamjam

Post by Zamjam » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:59 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Labenz (middays) moves to afternoon drive and middays are then voice-tracked.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:59 am

Tim Harris was on the shift earlier this week, still playing Craig Russell and the Afternoon Hustle liners at that point.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:09 pm

Wow, WFGR aint exactly got the best track record. All of the changes, yet the ratings really haven't moved in YEARS. Classic corporate radio station that could be something, but will never get the support it needs to be viable. A few years ago it looked liked it had a chance (they added the 80's stuff, had live people on the entire day and the station actually sounded alive) Next move will almost not be anything significant, and WFGR will remain background.

I suspect a format change in the very near future with WFGR or WTRV and this could be part of that move. Both WFGR and WTRV have been underachievers for many years.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:30 pm

as sad as it is, and as hard to admit for me as it is.... things like this are the status quo in radio anymore. couple of top performing stations in a cluster and a couple that they keep around to give the companies something to kick the market managers in the dick over. "what happened at WFGR" or "man, the river needs some changes", it's all bullshit and to be honest, they simply don't give a shit and in my humble opinion indicative of a pretty dead and bloated industry.

sure, a lot of people predicted that the end of the world was coming when the 96 act went thru.....but who thought it would die such a slow and painful death at the hands of people who would gladly sell out promising careers so they were not the next one chopped off the payroll. shame on all of you who decided the keep marching right in to the garbage disposal.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:46 pm

i can imagine Tom cook or matt milhouse will fill in craig's spot
probably

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:47 pm

Millhouse might sound OK.

Labenz or Harris would be better. Both are solid air talents.

MEMO TO WNIC AND MIX 92.3: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! IT IS LOUD, DISTORTED, AND MAKES THE LISTENING EXPERIENCE FATIGUING!!!.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic