All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Andy O quits?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Mediate

Re: Andy O quits?

Post by Mediate » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:09 pm

wonderkid69? YOU'RE the shithole...where to begin...Muskegon is equal parts Grand Haven, Detroit, Grand Rapids, and 'Up North'...beaches, hard working proud folks, kick ass pride for local athletics, craft beer, character, nuance...white collar, blue collar, no collar pride...and it has a great advocate/cheerleader/comm professional in Andy O.

Radio Chili

Post by Radio Chili » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Radio1 wrote:some of the segues i.e. Feels Like Teen Spirit into Yellow Submarine are priceless
Who in the World did THAT??!!

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:09 am

:rollin

YOUR ALL TOO FUNNY.............................................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wonderkid69

Post by wonderkid69 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:56 am

Mediate wrote:wonderkid69? YOU'RE the shithole...where to begin...Muskegon is equal parts Grand Haven, Detroit, Grand Rapids, and 'Up North'...beaches, hard working proud folks, kick ass pride for local athletics, craft beer, character, nuance...white collar, blue collar, no collar pride...and it has a great advocate/cheerleader/comm professional in Andy O.
First of all Muskegon is not equal parts Grand Haven and Grand Rapids. I believe it does have equal parts of Flint and Detroit. Muskegon is not a tourist destination Dick! You are right that there are hard working people there but that was not even in my summary. Dumbass there is white collar/blur collar in every city stupid. B.T.W. get off Andy's nuts he knows exactly what he is doing and does not need your idiotic cheerleading.

B.T.W. Out of 256 cities in Michigan....Muskegon is the fifth dangerous to live in. Mediate for Muskegon Mayor!!!!!!

http://www.movoto.com/mi/most-dangerous ... -michigan/

With just under 11,000 residents, Muskegon may be one of the smaller cities on our list, but that certainly doesn’t mean it’s safer. In fact, it is largely due to its small population that it is so dangerous.

In 2012, it had a total of 892 crimes. This may not seem like a lot, compared to, say, Detroit’s 55,967, but considering the fact that its population is about 70 times smaller, that’s quite a lot. In fact, it was the fourth highest number of total crimes per person in the state.

It also had the fourth highest number of property crimes, the sixth highest number of violent crimes, and the 10th highest number of murders per person.

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 am

I LIKE THE SAND................

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:20 pm

well, as i see it.....i am here on the street every day. i know all the good and bad going on, and to be honest....if you look past the statistics, size and what is portrayed in the news....you'd see it too. muskegon is awesome

is muskegon perfect? nope....but i never imagined that i would find a community with such pride....such resilience and honest and good people. there is scum in every town, can't be avoided, but i have never even so much as had my car broken into here.

the next 5 years are going to be a monumental shift in how muskegon is seen and perceived......i am proud to be here to help usher in in.

i moved here with an alcohol problem and a couch, it's a well told story.....muskegon has provided me more than i ever imagined possible in life....no negativity from some asshole hiding behind a screen name will change that and i promise ya....they don't call people "fighting irish" for nothing. i have lots of fight left

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:58 am

I'll back Andy up and say that there are definitely some good things starting to happen around Muskegon; things that aren't so easily apparent to those who don't live here.

I mean, the fact that there are actually things to do in downtown on a semi-regular basis is a H*** step.

I'll give Andy props to helping start a local, community radio station (though I was hoping for more of a WYCE-type station that highlights local/underground music rather than being another classic rock station), and I'm sure whatever his next venture will be that it will also bring some good to the community.

Hombre Grande

Post by Hombre Grande » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:59 pm

I've lived in many cities large and small all over the country. Muskegon is no different than many other cities. Mistakes were made in the past in many of the cities (usually putting too much value in just one or two industries). It always takes time for any city to dig itself out of a hole and Muskegon is the same. Work is going into the turn around and the pendulum IS swinging back in the positive direction. Will it be perfect tomorrow, next year or in the next few years? Sadly no but it takes "cheerleaders" like Andy (amung others) to do it. Andy is smart enough to realize when Muskegon does bounce back, and it will, he is going to OWN this place. Anyone who wants to give up on Muskegon is welcome to leave...but don't come down on the people who are trying to do whatever they can to facilitate the comeback.

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:48 pm

:blink
Gosh....maybe andy should go over to real gold radio...

:)

wonderkid69

Post by wonderkid69 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:19 pm

"he is going to OWN this place" Hombre what do you mean? Are you retarted?

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:58 pm

wonderkid69 wrote:"he is going to OWN this place" Hombre what do you mean? Are you retarted?
if by "owning the place" do you mean how i am treated as "kind of a big deal" the rumors are all true i get all the good parking spots at best buy and meijer......they've been knowing to give us a little extra cinabutter at the brann's and....ya i might as well go ahead and admit it.....the kids at the hockey game think i am really the most wild and fun thing they have ever seen and them i give them a $10 gift card and put them up on the big screen for their friends to see them. Come to think of it kids at the race tracks who i watch grow up. they think i am the best t-shirt thrower in the world.....or the teenagers who used to listen to you in the car with her dad in the car who are now young mom's.....just last week it seems they were shy little girls and now POP. they are someones mother....you see them in the mall, yuo pass them in the store and they are your friends and neighbors......you see kids you thought were 12 last year getting engaged......you see life go by and the steady cast of characters...some seen more often than others....but they all weave in and out of your life, you say hi to them on the street, you say hi to them on facebook.....the "people of your life"

and if you do somehow think i "own this place" you're right......i do. it's my neighborhood.....these are my friends and neighbors and these are good people and i watch over it and them A LOT.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

BOATMAN

Post by BOATMAN » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 pm

Andy.... You're quite popular :blink not only around town, but on the internet as well I see. Starky you crack me up :lol play that Minnie Riperton song for me would you...or some Roger Miller.and on a side note something interesting side note "there are people who look at the situation and try to improve upon it. Then there are people that bitch about how bad it is, and do nothing."and finally Andy I noticed a lot of potholes downtownmneed to get a realignment on the Chevy Venture :horns do me a favor send a letter to the City Council stating my disgust at the conditions of the roadways downtown :rollin peace

format this

Post by format this » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:12 am

Excuse me people... you are talking about Andy O'Riley, mayor of Facebook...

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

BOATMAN

Post by BOATMAN » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:49 am

[quote="format this"]Excuse me people... you are talking about Andy O'Riley, mayor of Facebook...[/quote]
how about mornings on the loop and he could still be Mayor of Facebook

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Local personalities and "interviews" doesn't really make compelling radio. Radio stations that have big audiences have either (or a combination) interesting air talent, heritage, a unique format or style or content the audience WANTS.

Just because Jim Cox interviews the head of the White Lake PTA or a local drain commissioner doesn't make for good radio. I doubt if you would hear during a research focus session of potential listeners that they would be asking for more Chamber of Commerce news on the radio.

Listen to FB&HW, they take a national news story, or even local news stories from around the US and put thier own INTERESTING spin on it. Much of their commentary is very sophomoric or guy-humor, but they are ENTERTAINING their audience. On WOOD radio Steve Kelly and Rick Albin conduct interviews that not only are amusing, but engaging and informative to the audience.

On WAWL 103.5 in Grand Haven, they have a morning show that is very basic, time & temp. Granted they have local sports, nothing wrong with that, limited audience, but a revenue generator. They also have a show on weekends spotlighting local bands. Except for a few relatives and a handful of fans, who really wants to hear bar bands on the radio?

103.7 in Muskegon has a very good talk show in the afternoon. They target THEIR audience. The few times I have listened to it, I found it to be very interesting. Its the black perspective that is rarely heard on radio.

I realize that these LPFM's are operating on a shoe string budget, probably paying just above minimum wage, so yes you don't have the resources to bring in great talent or do stellar production. (Although 98.9 probably has the best production of all the LPFM's) So really all these stations can rely on is music.

Bottom line, you have to have admiration to those who jump in to put together these low-power operations. They do it as a hobby, a labor of love and to serve their communities.

Just my Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic