All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Andy O quits?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
learn to fly

Andy O quits?

Post by learn to fly » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:37 pm

what happened here? it's on facebook.

Hombre Grande

Re: Andy O quits?

Post by Hombre Grande » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:37 pm

learn to fly wrote:what happened here? it's on facebook.
What does your question have to do with Andy O?

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Not much more to report. Philosophically we were on completely different plateaus. I am proud of what I had to do with the project and its purpose and wish them the best going forward

http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:55 pm

:blink

Tried to do to much to soon......................not possible on an LP

:D

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:50 am

There has to be more to the story here. Everyone on that station are pros, including Andy. I can't think of a better person to run a station (in his hometown no less) than Andy O'Riley. Whatever happened, major loss for whomever is calling the shots.

nomorepal

Post by nomorepal » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:38 am

Nothing worse than a station with stale imaging/same liners over and over..."what is Muskegon's 100.9"...and butt rock that WMRR already provides.

With a playlist going from "Stacey's Mom" to Supertramp... :barf

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:37 pm

I tune into 100.9, 98.9 and 103.5 quite a bit to see what they are doing, and while they all like to throw around the word "community" these LPFM's seem to do little more than play old music. Granted some of the oldies are "oh-wows" and some of the segues i.e. Feels Like Teen Spirit into Yellow Submarine are priceless, these stations really don't do much in the way of community service or provide anything more of what is already offered on the FM dial.

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:14 am

:blink
Well....you should listen to mornings on 98.9 A ton of community info ....interviews every tuesday and thursday mornings and a lot more. Plus the music you want to hear.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:20 am

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:32 am

It's a shame about Andy, but 100.9 is NOT living up to the hype.

The jocks are voicetracked, and I've heard a number of screwups (like front-and back-announcing the wrong songs), just like the big boys do.

And, as observed above, 100.9's playlist is really no different than WFGR's combined with maybe WMRR's. Too many burnouts.

In spite of the hype about being "all Muskegon", the only truly local programming they have is an hour with the Lumberjacks weekly. Otherwise, they're just a jukebox. They're less an alternative to the big boys than just an underpowered big boy wannabe most of the time.

At least WAWL-LP 103.5 has local high school sports (something that would fit 100.9 to a tee, especially now that the Cumulus Muskegon stations have just about given up on it) and even local news (WAWL out-hustled and out-reported WGHN during the recent incident at the Grand Haven Coast Guard Station, which happened on a Sunday when WGHN was caught napping. WAWL and Eric Kaelin were all over the story!)

I do wish WAWL would air less burned-out songs, though they do seen to be slowly improving.

As for WAXT-LP, I can barely get them; they get a big kudos for their playlist, which is magnificent; but other than Jim Cox in the morning (hi STARKY) they don't do much locally. Another station that might benefit from carrying high school sports, as Whitehall and Montague High Schools don't get much coverage of their games, except once in a while from WLCS 9WHen it airs its onece or twice monthly game) and WWKR.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:40 am

well, i will disagree with the lack of local on 100.9. i was there every morning, talking to people about the good and dynamic things happening in muskegon. one look at the website and you'll see that we didn't rely on anything but people and events in muskegon. bill and matt.....yep....they put some voice tracks in but the reality is, they both have full time jobs and come on only to help build the thing.

again, i think what i set out to build.....a station that sounded like it was from about 1982 with a little of everything and not such a pin pointed format one way or another was a good one. the concept is what muskegon needs and i will have zero issue with putting 100.9 on my resume.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:20 pm

I would also say about 100.9 (And the other LP FM's) is that everyone there is LOCAL. Nothing is out of market talent, spots, ownership. That alone is one of the biggest factors the make them different than the big guys.

wonderkid69

Post by wonderkid69 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:36 pm

"All Muskegon" "What is Muskegon?" "What Muskegon needs!" What are people talking about? Muskegon is a shithole. Period. When was the last time any of you reading this drove to Muskegon to eat dinner? Drove to Muskegon from Grand Rapids for any special occasion? Visited their beach? This is a town that has nothing to offer but 187's and a decent high school football team. Drive downtown on any given day and you will find that you are just a handful of people in the area. How in the hell does that Holiday Inn stay in business? I would never have entertained the opportunity to try my luck with a low budget Muskegon station but then again I do not have the passion anymore that Andy O does. Be honest Andy, aren't you tired of the game yet? It must be exhausting!

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Let's award Wonderkid the trophy for "Most ignorant" post of the month.

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:01 pm

wonderkid69 wrote:"All Muskegon" "What is Muskegon?" "What Muskegon needs!" What are people talking about? Muskegon is a shithole. Period. When was the last time any of you reading this drove to Muskegon to eat dinner? Drove to Muskegon from Grand Rapids for any special occasion? Visited their beach? This is a town that has nothing to offer but 187's and a decent high school football team. Drive downtown on any given day and you will find that you are just a handful of people in the area. How in the hell does that Holiday Inn stay in business? I would never have entertained the opportunity to try my luck with a low budget Muskegon station but then again I do not have the passion anymore that Andy O does. Be honest Andy, aren't you tired of the game yet? It must be exhausting!
just getting my second wind

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic