All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Shaner out at WXMI

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
grtvjunkie

Shaner out at WXMI

Post by grtvjunkie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:40 am

Woke up to an e-mail from one of my wife's friends who said that Shaner is leaving WXMI.

I'm not a fan, but you have to wonder what is going on there with all these people leaving.

Trophyhead

Re: Shaner out at WXMI

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:50 am

For what it's worth, there are two meteorologist positions for WXMI in the MAB current openings and internships listings. Getting up at 3 a.m., let's say to do 4 hours of forecasts would be a time sucker for a man who appears to be in his child rearing years. If you also have to fill the 11 a.m. forecast need, that could put you back in the market considering options. The WXMI want ads expire on 3/1.

quacky

Post by quacky » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:24 am

Does Kelly Smith replace Shaner on the Morning Show after Shaner leaves. She would be a good fit. Early morning hours and doing the Mix show with Towne and 1100am News pushed Shaner to leave?

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:46 pm

I believe Shaner's wife works in traffic (as in scheduling, not road reports) at WXMI. Wonder if she is leaving as well.

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:28 pm

I know I picked on Shaner in another thread for his weather-related haikus, but all-in-all I think he is a decent broadcaster and forecaster.

I would like to see them bring back Rick Mecklenburg, but I suspect that ain't happenin'.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

grtvjunkie

Post by grtvjunkie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:54 pm

I think it was mentioned in a previous post that Mecklenberg and his "frat-boy antics" were well-suited for morning and not necessarily for the evening news. Although I disagree in that he was fine in the evening, can you imagine the ratings gold that WXMI would have if they brought him back? Shaner is fine, but kind of a snob. Rick seemed like a normal person I would invite to dinner.

MWmetalhead wrote:I know I picked on Shaner in another thread for his weather-related haikus, but all-in-all I think he is a decent broadcaster and forecaster.

I would like to see them bring back Rick Mecklenburg, but I suspect that ain't happenin'.

imstudwell

Post by imstudwell » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:09 am

Linda Paige? ♪♫ Reunited and it feels so good ♫♪

Blister

Post by Blister » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:14 am

It would not be ratings gold to bring Rick back. And like MW said, it ain't happening.

Agree that Shaner is a bit of a snob but got the job done on air.

The musical chairs continue. Any more WZZM castoffs available? Linda Paige?

Blister

Post by Blister » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:15 am

[quote="imstudwell"]Linda Paige? ♪♫ Reunited and it feels so good ♫♪[/quote]

Damn...you beat me to it!!

Biff

Post by Biff » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote: I would like to see them bring back Rick Mecklenburg, but I suspect that ain't happenin'.
He's been making the occasional funny jab at television weather on Twitter. I think he's done with local TV.

I like Rick a lot and still miss him on air.

Pop Evil cannot figure out if they want to be a poor man's Nickelback, a poor man's Staind or a poor man's Godsmack.

grtvjunkie

Post by grtvjunkie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:59 pm

I disagree. The WXMI morning news is all about personality, and if I recall, Rick had tons of it. He would be a perfect foil to Avery and what's-her-face (Can't remember her name right now, whoever took over for Broadhead).

Blister wrote:It would not be ratings gold to bring Rick back. And like MW said, it ain't happening.

Agree that Shaner is a bit of a snob but got the job done on air.

The musical chairs continue. Any more WZZM castoffs available? Linda Paige?

Blister

Post by Blister » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:04 pm

There's no such thing as "ratings gold" in this market. People are set in their ways. They watch what they watch and they're not switching viewing habits unless the new morning meteorologist is Ginger Zee. *THAT* would be ratings gold.

Rick would be ratings meh.

grtvjunkie

Post by grtvjunkie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:19 pm

What is the fascination here with Ginger Zee? She's attractive and can read what the weather service says. I have noticed the print journalists in this area also seem to have a love affair with her. I'm obviously missing a big piece of the puzzle.

Tangent-- I'm watching 17 tonight, and that new guy Derek is anchoring. I know nothing about him except he is wearing a wedding ring. I assume he's gay, and that is fine, but is he married to another man in this area?

Blister wrote:There's no such thing as "ratings gold" in this market. People are set in their ways. They watch what they watch and they're not switching viewing habits unless the new morning meteorologist is Ginger Zee. *THAT* would be ratings gold.

Rick would be ratings meh.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:33 am

Part of the fascination with Zee is that she literally came from here. Returned to her hometown area (was a Rockford HS broadcasting student) after getting her degree at Valparaiso and moved on to Chicago, the #3 market. From there, advances continued to the point where you find her now, on "Good Morning America" and meeting the beck and call of ABC News. I can't immediately name a better career arc for anyone who spent time in this market, beyond Mike Wallace taking his first job here long, long ago.

Derek Francis spent a long time on WZZM's morning news team before moving into and getting out of public relations last year. He's new to WXMI, but that's about it. If you're right about this "assumption," then he's put in significant time and effort on the ultimate dodge. I remember seeing Derek at the Chuck E. Cheese on Alpine more than a few years ago playing the husband and father bit to a tee.

grtvjunkie

Post by grtvjunkie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:39 pm

That makes sense, thank you for the information about Ginger Zee.
And if Mr. Francis reads this forum, I apologize for the incorrect assumption.

Trophyhead wrote:Part of the fascination with Zee is that she literally came from here. Returned to her hometown area (was a Rockford HS broadcasting student) after getting her degree at Valparaiso and moved on to Chicago, the #3 market. From there, advances continued to the point where you find her now, on "Good Morning America" and meeting the beck and call of ABC News. I can't immediately name a better career arc for anyone who spent time in this market, beyond Mike Wallace taking his first job here long, long ago.

Derek Francis spent a long time on WZZM's morning news team before moving into and getting out of public relations last year. He's new to WXMI, but that's about it. If you're right about this "assumption," then he's put in significant time and effort on the ultimate dodge. I remember seeing Derek at the Chuck E. Cheese on Alpine more than a few years ago playing the husband and father bit to a tee.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic