All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Fox 17 News at Eleven?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
NewzKiller

Re: Fox 17 News at Eleven?

Post by NewzKiller » Mon May 26, 2014 8:53 pm

I was in television sales in this market for over 10 years and I can flat out tell you the VIEWING levels at 10-11pm are higher than 11pm. Hell it's like that in EVERY market. I'm guessing you're confusing ratings with viewing levels. More than likely WXMI figures it's cheaper to sell all the inventory versus syndicated shows since news is an easier sell. I think it's safe to say it's going to be easier to sell news than Arsenio Hall in West Michigan.
JackAttack FM wrote:
Actually not true. Viewing levels at 11PM are down compared to 10PM. This market doesn't have much television viewing after 11:30pm. This is an early to rise and early to bed market.
OK then prove it.
Post a source link with some ratings that makes my post untrue.

I'm talking specifically about the 11pm newscasts not all of primetime (nor 11:30pm).
Stations that air an 11pm show can see their highest news ratings at 11pm.
The only other daypart out of primetime that can rival that is 6pm.
So if there is still a lot of news viewing going on at 11pm why would a station continue to ignore 11pm to air a newscast.

The fact that a fourth station in the market wants a piece of the 11pm audiance actually says it is true.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue May 27, 2014 7:53 pm

for stations that air an 11pm newscast that time offers the most ratings then any other newscast during the day...
I'm not comparing HUT levels at 10pm versus 11pm. I'm comparing the HUT levels at 11pm to HUTs during newscasts in other dayparts (5am, 6am, noon, 5pm, 6pm) for the stations that air or already air or have been airing an 11pm newscast.
Nobody ever said 10pm has less viewers. That's primetime.
Why even bring up 10pm when Fox 17 has a 10pm newscast? The topic is about adding one at 11pm.

And since the HUT levels at 11pm are higher then anywhere else Fox 17 could add another newscast in their schedule it makes sense to air one at 11pm. (7pm could be close though.)

Since news ratings were brought up. Pew compiled Nielsen data within the last 3 years that showed 11pm news viewing is more then 3 times higher then 10pm news viewing.
10pm newscasts on Fox affiliates are actually showing declines while 11pm news viewing overall has gone up.

NewzKiller

Post by NewzKiller » Wed May 28, 2014 12:52 am

Ok wasn't clear on your point. Still when you have 3, 8 & 13 doing newscasts of course there's going to be more newsviewers when primarily that's what's available on the local channels. The only reason Fox 17 is going with news at 11pm isn't because of demand but inventory. Just like why WXSP & CW air news at 10PM not due to demand but inventory and cost.
JackAttack FM wrote:
for stations that air an 11pm newscast that time offers the most ratings then any other newscast during the day...
I'm not comparing HUT levels at 10pm versus 11pm. I'm comparing the HUT levels at 11pm to HUTs during newscasts in other dayparts (5am, 6am, noon, 5pm, 6pm) for the stations that air or already air or have been airing an 11pm newscast.
Nobody ever said 10pm has less viewers. That's primetime.
Why even bring up 10pm when Fox 17 has a 10pm newscast? The topic is about adding one at 11pm.

And since the HUT levels at 11pm are higher then anywhere else Fox 17 could add another newscast in their schedule it makes sense to air one at 11pm. (7pm could be close though.)

Since news ratings were brought up. Pew compiled Nielsen data within the last 3 years that showed 11pm news viewing is more then 3 times higher then 10pm news viewing.
10pm newscasts on Fox affiliates are actually showing declines while 11pm news viewing overall has gone up.

brianbcomedy

Post by brianbcomedy » Sat May 31, 2014 12:16 am

Another reason they're going to news at 11 PM;
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2 ... d/9785733/

Milk

Post by Milk » Sat May 31, 2014 8:50 am

Doesn't surprise me that Arsenio got canned. There's too many late night shows fighting for an audience that's not as big as one thinks. I remembered when Jimmy Fallon moved to 11:35, NBC was talking about all of his competitors and Arsenio was left out of the montage. A few days later, NBC apologized to him and talked about his new show.

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:10 pm

Just noticed that Mitch and Anne Marie, while still on the Polar Plunge promos, are NOT on at 11pm anymore. Its Christian and Janice.

I can guess why, but anyone with any real insight?

Great Faces, Great Places

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic