All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

WKZO storm damage

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
phillyb

WKZO storm damage

Post by phillyb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:01 am

WWMT reported last night that one of the four WKZO-590 AM towers was damaged in Sunday's windstorm. The video they aired showed the self-supporting tower "folded in half" with the top half just dangling down.

I assume WKZO is now operating temporarily non-directional at night, at what power I don't know.

Edit: I can't find the story on WWMT's website and WKZO's website makes no mention of a tower being down. But I did see the story Tuesday evening on WWMT's news at 5:30!

Trophyhead

Re: WKZO storm damage

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:26 pm

I tuned them in last night around 8:45 near Fifth Third Ballpark to see if they were carrying the Wings, if that means anything. It was coming in, some talk show.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Trophyhead wrote:I tuned them in last night around 8:45 near Fifth Third Ballpark to see if they were carrying the Wings, if that means anything. It was coming in, some talk show.
Sister station WQLR 1660 airs the Red Wings. (If there is a conflict with another sporting event on 1660 then 590 takes the Wings)

I have heard nothing about a tower being down. I will send Jim McKinney (old friend) a message inquiring of this. I have heard no change in daytime or nighttime reception and I am south of I-94.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Talked to Jim McKinney tonight. 71 year old west tower went down in the storm...the top beacon is hanging 20 ft from the ground... they have FCC permission to run the daytime pattern...but at 20% power. This explains why I get a stronger signal in Texas Corners at 6am than ever before.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

So, they are 1 kW omnidirectional at night for the time being?

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

format this

Post by format this » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:57 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:So, they are 1 kW omnidirectional at night for the time being?
That's the math I'm doing... could be some good DX'ing out of state...

EDIT: Without outside sources like www.radio-locator.com to fall back on, I'm suggesting WKZO runs off one tower during the day... and it's not the fallen tower...

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Tuned in 590 tonight while going between Grand Rapids and Allendale. You can still hear KZO up here at night, but it's mixed in with a bunch of other signals. Pretty much unlistenable.

uncleducky

Post by uncleducky » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 pm

By the time I get between Mattawan and Paw Paw I lose WKZO this is at any time of day. I use to get the really good. This was before the sunday storm too, now they come in great.

retiredfromWWMT

Post by retiredfromWWMT » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:48 pm

I used to do some transmitter engineering work for WKZO--they used the south tower alone for daytime and all 4 towers at night. The comments that their signal is weaker in the daytime suggests they are at reduced power days or possibly the damaged tower has upset the tuning.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:11 pm

No need to guess. The STA application is on CDBS and specifies 1250 watts directional night from the damaged array. That's different from what I expected.

However, the authorization letter specifies nondirectional at 1250 watts during directional nighttime operation. It says nothing about day power. When WWVA went down, it seems like they reduced the day power also, but all towers went down. In this case, the day tower is still standing, and if the rest of the towers are detuned, I would think that they could operate 5000 daytime nondirectional. The damaged tower may not be properly detuned and may affect the day nondirectional pattern.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:48 pm

My reception report from far southern Kent County...

*Day signal sounds great.
*Night signal is very listenable, but not nearly as strong as usual (no surprise there).

This was about 40 miles from the WKZO site. A little co-channel interference was noticeable, but was only problematic if I had the loop antenna turned the wrong way. There were no skywave/groundwave cancellation issues at all from this listening location.

Battle Creek probably gets a damn good nighttime signal right now.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

leadsquirter

Post by leadsquirter » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 pm

I drove by the WKZO transmitter site today and nothing has been done yet to replace the 4th tower. The remains were completely removed from the site last winter and now just the base remains.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:33 am

I suspect they'll never fix it, especially if they are using 1250 watts omni.

They don't earn a single dime of ad revenue from the GR area.

1250 watts omni is better than their 5000 watt licensed directional nighttime array in terms of providing reliable reception to listeners in the Kalamazoo and Battle Creek areas. That licensed 5000 watt array has bad nulls in some inconvenient spots.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:I suspect they'll never fix it, especially if they are using 1250 watts omni.

They don't earn a single dime of ad revenue from the GR area.

1250 watts omni is better than their 5000 watt licensed directional nighttime array in terms of providing reliable reception to listeners in the Kalamazoo and Battle Creek areas. That licensed 5000 watt array has bad nulls in some inconvenient spots.
Maybe--but the 1250 watts is an STA--it's temporary.

My question is, would the FCC license a night ND power that high for permanent use, or insist that they "walk it back" to avoid permanent interference to other stations on the frequency.

They could I suppose operate with less than 5000 watts at night with a new pattern that uses only three towers.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu May 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Any updates on this? To be fully licensed nondirectional, it would presently have to reduce interference to stations it interferes with most, keep the same or less to other stations interfered with, or be under the 25% RSS calculations of the other stations. More than likely, that would be much less than 1000 watts. It's kind of iffy trying to make a pattern work with one less tower, especially a parallelogram. If it were WOOD, and an end tower of the four in a line fell down, they might be able to make it work with somewhere near the old licensed power of 5000 watts. The closer they are to in a line, the more likely it is you could use less towers if an end tower fell down. CFCO has 5 towers that were close to in a line, and they were able to increase night power greatly and have a wildly different day pattern. Four of the towers are or are nearly a parallelogram, but a very "flattened" one. But there are under different rules in Canada, and the treaty is less restrictive than US domestic rules.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic