Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOOD-TV Looking for a Meteorologist.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Thunderstorm

WOOD-TV Looking for a Meteorologist.

Post by Thunderstorm » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:43 am

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 / 01:50 PM EDT / Updated: Oct 22, 2021 / 01:50 PM EDT

REQUIREMENTS: West Michigan’s legacy station, WOOD TV8, has a rare opportunity to join Storm Team 8 and work alongside some of the most experienced meteorologists in the country. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about weather – able to deliver and clearly communicate an accurate forecast – and creatively tell the weather story on TV and digital platforms. It’s critical to be actively engaged on digital platforms. This position will require work on the weekend. AMS seal of approval is required.

West Michigan’s legacy station, WOOD TV8, has a rare opportunity for a Meteorologist to join Storm Team 8! We’re looking for someone who is passionate about weather and would embrace the challenge of forecasting in an active weather market along the Lake Michigan shoreline. The Meteorologist will forecast weather conditions and produce and anchor weather reports for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging, and meaningful to news consumers.

Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms
Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner
Assists in writing, copy editing, researching, and coordinating weather programming and other content
Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations as required
Works closely with weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage
Participates in promotional activities including public appearances
Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis
Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites
Requirements & Skills

Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
AMS Seal of approval
Fluency in English
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
Minimum two years’ experience in weather reporting or anchoring
Superior on-air presence
Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution
Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting
Valid drivers license with a good driving record
Flexibility to work any shift with weekend work required.
Physical Demands & Work Environment.

The meteorologist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the meteorologist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.

Trophyhead

Re: WOOD-TV Looking for a Meteorologist.

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:35 am

Filling Bill Steffen's spot on the roster, undoubtedly. Emily Schuitema will wind up off weekend morning casts, it would seem.

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:15 pm

I gotta feeling that Laura is going to sit for six months and then Re-Appear on WOOD TV, in her old position.

humblenewsman

Post by humblenewsman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:03 pm

BirdieKingBobo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:15 pm
I gotta feeling that Laura is going to sit for six months and then Re-Appear on WOOD TV, in her old position.
That would be doing weekends - beginning anew and paying her dues toward, ummm, what?

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:23 pm

BirdieKingBobo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:15 pm
Non-competes start from the end of the contract, not from the time you leave. She clearly left her contract early so she'd have to sit out for more than a year and a half by my calculations.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:02 am

I don't see Laura returning to Wood TV I think she has left the business.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:39 pm

Anyone think we will see any of the multitude of ZZM meteorologists showing up now at WOOD?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Honolulublue4life

Post by Honolulublue4life » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:44 pm

So I take Bill will be totally off tv as soon as they hire someone for the weekend? If we are talking former ZZM meteorologist could see Laura Hartman take the job.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:06 pm

Assuming that no one else is leaving, then I'd assume this is indeed to scale Bill's schedule back even further (maybe he'll only do the 6pm on weekends and/or show up for severe weather coverage and special events).

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:36 am

That would be a great hire if Wood TV did hire Laura Hartman I thought she did well on OnTarget Weather Network, that was only time I got to see Hartman do weather was on WZZM OnTarget Weather Network when Spectrum had it before it was gone since TEGNA wanted them to air Quest.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic