Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The MEDC needs to be disbanded

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

The MEDC needs to be disbanded

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 pm

This highly corrupt organization has been giving sweetheart deals, at times under false pretense, to politically connected individuals for years.

The majority of its board members are handpicked by the Governor.

Gee - what a shock that an organization run by big Whitmer donor, Fay Beydoun, received a $20 million grant. No one really seems to know what her organization does by way of economic development to deserve such money. This gargoyle of a woman spent $4500 of those funds on a coffee maker and $408,000 on three months of salary for just two (!!!) employees.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 372156007/

The AG's office needs to file suit to attempt to recoup the $20 million Beydoun's organization, Global Link International, received.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Re: The MEDC needs to be disbanded

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 pm

Half of Detroit was rebuilt with EDC funds. I was on a project that received 15 million. It's actually a positive force in rebuilding our economy.

They also attract epic projects like the battery plants that have been popping up recently.

If you recall, Snyder's Executive Director, Steve Arwood resigned after some irregularities, and under Whitmers administration, it's watched closely.

This was a grant recipient who got caught. There is nothing wrong with the organization.
Last edited by TC Talks on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 pm

Nothing wrong w/ the organization? How the hell was the $20 million in question ever approved?

To which battery plants are you referring? Marshall and Big Rapids? I wrote here months ago regarding the economic absurdity of the subsidies the Marshall plant was seeking.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 pm
Nothing wrong w/ the organization? How the hell was the $20 million in question ever approved?

To which battery plants are you referring?
The 20 million dollar grant was announced and this woman won the grant. There is a ton of opportunities available, but you have to actually deliver.

Battery plant program:
https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/news/p ... ufacturing

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/news/p ... big-rapids
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:09 pm

No, you don't have to "actually deliver."

Also, in some cases, economics are tilted absurdly in favor of the grant / subsidy recipient.

That's why the MEDC process is a joke.

The press releases to which you linked are misleading. Ford's "investment" in Marshall is conditioned upon receiving over a billion in financial support from the state. I believe the number is $1.6 or $1.7 billion.

Gotion, which is partially owned by an offshoot of the CCP, wants $800 million in incentives.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 134419007/

Why are we giving state incentives to destroy forested land or agricultural land to build manufacturing plants that produce toxic batteries when there are a ton of vacant brownfield sites that are already zoned for heavy manufacturing use?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm

Jobs in one of the most poverty stricken countries in the state?

I do agree they could have used Wolverine World Wide's former plant site. But brownfield site development is complex.
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm

Unfortunately, the meth head hillbillies won't suddenly change their behavior or lifestyle simply because a new manufacturing plant opens, sad to say.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm

I do agree they could have used Wolverine World Wide's former plant site. But brownfield site development is complex.
Just who makes it that complex?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am

km1125 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm
TC Talks wrote:

PFAS isn't a who. Brownfield sites come with problems.
Last edited by TC Talks on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am
km1125 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm
TC Talks wrote:

PFAS isn't a who. Brownfield sites come with problems.
Ooooo... scary PFAS. They could probably use a lot of brownfield sites as-is, with little risk to the environment. Cap the existing soil with concrete (for the floor of the building) or asphalt for the parking lot and seal in anything in the soil so it doesn't leech into the rest of the environment. OR we could let that site sit and absorb rainwater for decades (while it leeches into the environment anything that was left in the soil) and then spend millions and millions of dollars digging it up and treating the soil before it can be reused.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 pm

So you are a researcher on carcinogens? Cause you just seem like an old dude with some b.s. opinions with nothing to back them up.

I don't know any corporation that would accept that liability.
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 pm
So you are a researcher on carcinogens? Cause you just seem like an old dude with some b.s. opinions with nothing to back them up.

I don't know any corporation that would accept that liability.
Remember when Limbaugh would brag about his nicotine stained hands? Whatever happened to him?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 pm

A properly prepared Baseline Environmental Assessment could shield a successor owner from liability associated with preexisting environmental hazards.

There are shopping centers, ski hills and even subdivisions built on former landfill sites.

I believe the LG Chem battery plant in Holland was built on a brownfield.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:01 pm
A properly prepared Baseline Environmental Assessment could shield a successor owner from liability associated with preexisting environmental hazards.

There are shopping centers, ski hills and even subdivisions built on former landfill sites.

I believe the LG Chem battery plant in Holland was built on a brownfield.
Partly true, just establishing the issue does not completely absolve the current property owner from past issues. Brownfield trusts are designed to manage residual clean up, but I am aware of two developers who ended up paying millions when the I and II Environmental Assessments missed issues that surfaced during construction. There is always a greater risk using brownfield property, and in the case of Big Rapids, there remain unresolved issues at the former Wolverine WW tanning plant.
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:30 pm

You are certainly correct that a risk exists that the environmental consultants will miss issues (recognized environmental conditions) during phase I and phase II assessments that could bite a property owner in the ass later.

I suspect the number of borings performed and soil samples collected on a known brownfield are far more extensive in number than those collected from an "ordinary" site.

Indeed, building on the former WWW site may not be a good idea. There are a number of other large former industrial sites that are currently unoccupied, mostly in urban areas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic