Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Right to work ends Tuesday (13th)

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Re: Right to work ends Tuesday (13th)

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:56 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:33 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:40 pm
Mike wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:27 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:00 pm
I was unaware that RTW had an automatic sunset date.

I agree that it's dumb that the law was structured in such a fashion.
It didn't. Repeal is among the pile of laws that take effect 90 days after 2023 sine die - which is the 13th.
Ah, that makes more sense now. Thanks for the info.

The MSM don't devote enough attention to the goings-on in Lansing. This one slipped under the radar on me.
Right to work being repealed was a rather big deal when it happened… maybe they should have devoted more time to the repeal date though.. but it’s just back to the way it was before 2012. The way the right to work law was structured was intentionally unfair to unions.
But yet it was fair to the citizens.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:07 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:56 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:33 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:40 pm
Mike wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:27 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:00 pm
I was unaware that RTW had an automatic sunset date.

I agree that it's dumb that the law was structured in such a fashion.
It didn't. Repeal is among the pile of laws that take effect 90 days after 2023 sine die - which is the 13th.
Ah, that makes more sense now. Thanks for the info.

The MSM don't devote enough attention to the goings-on in Lansing. This one slipped under the radar on me.
Right to work being repealed was a rather big deal when it happened… maybe they should have devoted more time to the repeal date though.. but it’s just back to the way it was before 2012. The way the right to work law was structured was intentionally unfair to unions.
But yet it was fair to the citizens.
Sure. You got Union representation without paying any dues if your workplace had a union. It was designed to bankrupt the unions by making them spend money that wasn’t put into it.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 pm

My union dues are the best money I spend and it's about the cheapest regular bill that I have. No freeloading, pay your dues.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:51 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 pm
My union dues are the best money I spend and it's about the cheapest regular bill that I have. No freeloading, pay your dues.

You're absolutely right. My Union dues were the best investment I ever made. I recoverd every nickel of it in Pension benefits during the first six months of my retirement.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:17 am

Rate This wrote: Sure. You got Union representation without paying any dues if your workplace had a union. It was designed to bankrupt the unions by making them spend money that wasn’t put into it.
Actually you got the CBA benefits but NOT union represntation.
If you had a dispute with management the union is under no obligation to help a nonmember.
I am 99% sure that's accurate.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:26 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:17 am
Rate This wrote: Sure. You got Union representation without paying any dues if your workplace had a union. It was designed to bankrupt the unions by making them spend money that wasn’t put into it.
Actually you got the CBA benefits but NOT union represntation.
If you had a dispute with management the union is under no obligation to help a nonmember.
I am 99% sure that's accurate.
From what I understood they had to represent them as well which was the disincentive to paying dues. Why bother if you get everything anyways?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:32 pm

In Ontario, anyone can opt out of Union membership, but they're still required to pay dues and the Union is required to represent the person

But they don't get a Union card and they can'r participate in the Union. They can't attend meetings or vote in Union elections.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:40 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:32 pm
In Ontario, anyone can opt out of Union membership, but they're still required to pay dues and the Union is required to represent the person

But they don't get a Union card and they can'r participate in the Union. They can't attend meetings or vote in Union elections.
That surprises me but this is more or less what I understood right to work to be.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:

That's the way it is here. It's a misnomer to think you HAVE to join the union.

My advice (and Craig take note) without a doubt join if you have to pay dues anyway. Then stir things up.
I have several friends that were Right To Work until they were forced to join. Once they did, with a wee bit of prodding from myself or others, they went to management and said:
"Okay, now here's the job I want based upon my newfound seniority".
Now they are getting preferred shifts and jobs and pay rates that they couldn't touch before they join.

And here's another aspect to think about, Get involved with the union. Start showing up for the monthly meetings at the hall.
Act like you care and you can parlay yourself into being a union or safety rep in less time than you think.
(I'm not kidding here).
Now you don't have to worry about doing any actual work. Just walk around, glad hand, etc. And you're off the shop floor.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:19 pm

Round Six wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:33 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

My advice (and Craig take note) without a doubt join if you have to pay dues anyway. Then stir things up.
I have several friends that were Right To Work until they were forced to join. Once they did, with a wee bit of prodding from myself or others, they went to management and said:
Now they are getting preferred shifts and jobs and pay rates that they couldn't touch before they join.

And here's another aspect to think about, Get involved with the union. Start showing up for the monthly meetings at the hall.
Act like you care and you can parlay yourself into being a union or safety rep in less time than you think.
(I'm not kidding here).
Now you don't have to worry about doing any actual work. Just walk around, glad hand, etc. And you're off the shop floor.
Can't argue with anything you said there. Rings true with any experiences I've had with unions and union shops.

However, if you really want to be successful in life and get off the plantation, don't take a union gig. Take your career in your own hands and promote yourself, do great work and reap all the benefits directly. Without paying union dues or having to carry any card at all.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:29 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:19 pm
Round Six wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:33 pm
Turkeytop wrote:

(I'm not kidding here).
Can't argue with anything you said there. Rings true with any experiences I've had with unions and union shops.

However, if you really want to be successful in life and get off the plantation, don't take a union gig. Take your career in your own hands and promote yourself, do great work and reap all the benefits directly. Without paying union dues or having to carry any card at all.
And if we all could take your advice we would call that communism. You might as well tell people to go play the lottery. They have similar odds of being very successful promoting themselves or whatever happy sounding horseshit you are selling. 100 people get to be unbelievably successful. 1000 get to be moderately successful and make a living. 10,000 tried and didn’t make it for whatever reason you’d like to use and are screwed now. Good job champ.

Gee that high union wage and protection sure as hell looks good now.
Last edited by Rate This on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:31 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:22 am
Starting Tuesday in Michigan if you work under a CBA and are not currently in the union that ends Tuesday.
The texts and other notices where I work (Ann Arbor Public Schools bus driver, working under Durham Transportation) make it sound like come Tuesday if you aren't in the union you are out of a job till you sign up.
Pay up, working stiffs.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:35 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:29 pm
And if we all could take your advice we would call that communism. You might as well tell people to go play the lottery. They have similar odds of being very successful promoting themselves or whatever happy sounding horseshit you are selling. 100 people get to be unbelievably successful. 1000 get to be moderately successful and make a living. 10,000 tried and didn’t make it for whatever reason you’d like to use and are screwed now. Good job champ.

Might want to rerun those numbers.

Less than HALF of the workforce is currently unionized, and they're not the communists. Most of them are doing just fine too.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:38 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:35 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:29 pm

Might want to rerun those numbers.

Less than HALF of the workforce is currently unionized, and they're not the communists. Most of them are doing just fine too.
But they haven’t gone out and marketed themselves and blah blah blah… you’re describing some sort of freelance work either on purpose or by accident.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:41 pm

Without a pension, unions are not that desirable. And really, raising the 401k/403b match to 12% from the traditional 5% would match the S&P 500 lifetime average, a better benefit than anything else for most employees. Not sure what the rules are on offering a match, I know the cap for employees is 20ishK a year and it lowers your agi dollar for dollar cutting your tax bill. I believe Michigan is phasing out 401k state income tax as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic