Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MDOT (read: Whitmer) wants to fuck over Michigan tax payers

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

MDOT (read: Whitmer) wants to fuck over Michigan tax payers

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:52 am

Road usage charges in lieu of gasoline taxes are a terrible, terrible idea yet Whitmer's administration - and MDOT - seem to be actively advocating for such a policy change.

This is a hidden tax increase on Michigan residents.

Out of state residents and commercial motorists would get off scot-free. Michigan residents would be subsidizing their use of our roadways.

To make matters worse - Michigan residents would either be mandated to use a smartphone app or tracking device (similar to those used by insurance companies for their phony "safe driver" programs) in all vehicles. That is a massive invasion of privacy and potential data security risk.

Would these devices track out of state miles the same as in state miles? Who the hell knows.

This state cannot even figure out how to disburse unemployment checks properly. To allow the state to keep tabs on the driving habits of every single Michigan resident is a massive disaster in the making.

Finally, just like auto insurance, ya know damn well some people would refuse to pay what they owe under a road usage tax system. With the current sales tax system - no such risk exists.

This is arguably the worst policy proposal I've seen from state government in my lifetime.

I vehemently oppose replacing the gas tax with road usage charges. It is obvious this proposal is the brainchild of the Whitmer administration. The survey is being conducted via MDOT - mostly seen as apolitical - to try to disguise that fact.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/sh ... ge-charge/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 16173

Re: MDOT (read: Whitmer) wants to fuck over Michigan tax payers

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:02 am

I just love how they reel us in by the $10 gift card for participating in their survey.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:08 am

I gladly completed the survey. I used every opportunity in the survey form to communicate why I thought it was a terrible idea.

I will also be writing to multiple legislators on this topic.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:16 am

Several states are looking into this due to EVs not using gas and the loss of those tax dollars. My thought has always been do a tax on EV owners when registering their vehicles every year and let the gas tax stand for those of us that still use dead dinos to power our vehicles.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:18 am

Exactly. Taxation of revenues collected at charging stations could also be used to supplement registration fees.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:36 am

I took the survey as well. It was certainly crafted in a way to elicit positive responses for the per mile option.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:51 am

I agree 100 percent.

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:22 am

I did the survey as well. We will see how Gretchen screws us this time.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:10 pm

zzand wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:16 am
Several states are looking into this due to EVs not using gas and the loss of those tax dollars. My thought has always been do a tax on EV owners when registering their vehicles every year and let the gas tax stand for those of us that still use dead dinos to power our vehicles.
Some state do this but they do NOT collect the federal portion, so the states still get shafted on their funding, and the EV owner gets an additional benefit.

The "per mile" idea has been around for decades. There was a time when they were developing an add-on to track the miles and you'd have to "refill" it periodically in order to drive. Obviously never implemented, but it gets easier as more and more vehicles are "connected" and the authorities (whether private or government) have the ability to track and control where your vehicle is and what your vehicle does (or can do).

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:37 pm

Just a random thought based on MW's originating post. Get a second cell and leave it at home. What would be the mileage cost now?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:52 pm

I don’t have an EV but know someone who does and their registration for plates is considerably higher than a gasoline powered car, I guess under the understanding that EVs don’t pay gasoline taxes.

The govt doesn’t need to have you tracked on an app on cellphone, they can just get the data from Ford or gm or auto OEMs, or from your car insurance company like Allstate where you have the plug in device for your discount.

Kind of likes when the state knows you bought a new car, they sold your info to telemarketers and you get all kinds of unsolicited phone calls for extended warranties.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:06 pm

This surprises anyone about her taxing the citizens of Michigan?

Remember when she was elected in 2018....first thing she wanted to do in office was raise the gas tax .45cents/gallon!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:36 pm

I don't mind paying my share of living in a collective society. What I do have a problem with is wasting it, and then finding another reason to ask for more. And that's the part that never ends.

I look at certain services and say to myself "you know, sometimes I can understand why people hate the government".

Like last night, when I came home and had to shovel out the 10 inches of snow the plow just pushes up on the driveway and takes off.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:08 am

Round Six wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:37 pm
Just a random thought based on MW's originating post. Get a second cell and leave it at home. What would be the mileage cost now?
I agree completely that the risk of fraud would be enormous absent in-person secretary of state office confirmation of odometer readings.

Annual plate renewals through the mail or online would probably need to be discontinued. Yet another reason to oppose this idiotic proposal.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:32 am

Well, gas tax isn't working well enough, and the issue is out of state trucks not EV. Don't be surprised if the Manufacturers association endorses this.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic