Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MDOT (read: Whitmer) wants to fuck over Michigan tax payers

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Taco

Re: MDOT (read: Whitmer) wants to fuck over Michigan tax payers

Post by Taco » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:35 pm

What they need to do is take the 6% sales tax from fuel sales and just make it go towards roads. We already pay state and a federal tax on fuel. Basically, what you pay in tax at the pump should all go to roads.

I did the survey as well. I think I'd rather have some form of tolling.
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:32 am
Well, gas tax isn't working well enough, and the issue is out of state trucks not EV. Don't be surprised if the Manufacturers association endorses this.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm

Mark Nelson wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:02 am
I just love how they reel us in by the $10 gift card for participating in their survey.
Michigan halts gift card giveaway after overwhelming response
Officials launched an online survey Tuesday, Jan. 30, and offered a $10 gift card to respondents in return for their input. By Thursday, Feb. 1, the Department of Transportation (MDOT) announced it had received thousands of responses and had run out of gift cards.
Ope!

Deleted User 16173

Post by Deleted User 16173 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:52 pm

Another well planned program by Mother Gretchen. After 2 days, runs out of $10 pre-paid cards. Knowing how she operates, most likely there were never any cards to distribute.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:21 pm

Mark Nelson wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:52 pm
Another well planned program by Mother Gretchen. After 2 days, runs out of $10 pre-paid cards. Knowing how she operates, most likely there were never any cards to distribute.
I bet she did it so that old guys like could complain. The survey is available in English, Spanish, Arabic and Chinese. Tell us, how does the fact that our Muslim and Hispanic neighbors got gift cards make you feel?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:21 pm

If the running out of gift cards mean the survey closed, Makes me wonder how small the survey sample size will be, and the resulting large margin of error. Doesn’t sound like a sound statistical judgment on which to base public taxation policy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:25 pm

radiofann wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:21 pm
Makes me wonder how small the survey sample size will be, and the resulting large margin of error. Doesn’t sound like a sound statistical judgment on which to base public taxation policy.
The initial amount is a statistically adequate sample size. However, trying to use one survey to develop consensus for each of the MDOT districts might create unsatisfactory results. Much of outstate Michigan has different perspective on the roads than those in Metro Detroit.
A spokesperson for the state said they had received 22,900 total responses. They have between 12,000 and 16,000 gift cards to give out after checking responses for duplicates and other non-qualifying responses.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:27 pm

radiofann wrote:
If the running out of gift cards mean the survey closed, Makes me wonder how small the survey sample size will be, and the resulting large margin of error. Doesn’t sound like a sound statistical judgment on which to base public taxation policy.
It's still open, and with a stated survey period of January - March 2024 (per the survey page), should remain open for some time.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:51 am

Mike wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:27 pm
radiofann wrote:
It's still open, and with a stated survey period of January - March 2024 (per the survey page), should remain open for some time.
Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:22 pm

I received my $10 e-giftcard today.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:10 am

I got my gift card earlier this month. I still think some sort of tolling is the way to go, but it has to be done right.
For it is a human number

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:19 am

This chart illustrates our gas taxes in Michigan based on $3.50/gallon. Notice how the sales tax goes towards schools. I think this would better be used for roads IMO. Michigan is among 6 states that levy the state sales tax on gasoline sales. As for the other 5 states, I don't know if their sales taxes are going towards roads or other programs.

https://www.muskegoncountyroads.org/Doc ... own?bidId=
For it is a human number

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic