Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Move capital to Detroit?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Graham Wellington

Move capital to Detroit?

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:43 am

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/con ... 838495007/

The author of this drivel comes across as one of those douchebags that lives in Bloomfield Hills buts tells everyone they "live in the D". I'm pretty sure she hasn't ventured any further into Detroit than 2 blocks from her downtown office building.

Edit: I stand corrected, the author claims to live in SW Detroit. Which makes her assessment of Lansing being a sad little city even more baffling.
Last edited by Graham Wellington on Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graham Wellington

Re: Move capital to Detroit?

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:01 am

To recap, Nancy Kaffer thinks the capital should move because:

-Only 500 people showed up for Whitmer's second inauguration

-You can park directly in front of the capital building currently

-The capital building used to not have many security checkpoints, but it does now

-Detroit has better tacos than Lansing

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:01 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:43 am

The author of this drivel comes across as one of those douchebags that lives in Bloomfield Hills buts tells everyone they "live in the D". I'm pretty sure she hasn't ventured any further into Detroit than 2 blocks from her downtown office building.
Of course the original capital was… Detroit.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:06 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:01 am
Graham Wellington wrote:

If one wants to make an argument to move it back, they should at least use coherent, rational reasoning. I get that the author's main goal was to generate clicks and engagement, but what a seriously stupid piece it is.

Having an "outstate" capital helps ensure the rest of the state isn't forgotten completely. If anything, it should move further north.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:23 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:06 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:01 am
Graham Wellington wrote:

If one wants to make an argument to move it back, they should at least use coherent, rational reasoning. I get that the author's main goal was to generate clicks and engagement, but what a seriously stupid piece it is.

Having an "outstate" capital helps ensure the rest of the state isn't forgotten completely. If anything, it should move further north.
I think Mackinac Island would be a wonderful choice.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:43 pm

I was reading a book about the history of Genesee County, and back around the time when Michigan became a state there was talk about making the little town of Goodrich in southeastern Genesee County the state capitol.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:54 pm

Nancy Heffer is from Alabama - maybe it is time for Nance to return home.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:51 pm

Not happening I was 9 or 10 years old when I knew that Detroit was the capital of Michigan before Lansing. I always thought it was Lansing was the capital I learned something new when I heard that, I don't think many go to Governors inauguration something I wouldn't ever go to.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:48 pm

I have never cared for Lansing. I can sum it up in one sentence.

Lansing is too far from shore.

(Sorry, Lake Lansing, and Lake Haslett don't count) :lol

Being a "neutral" place for the capitol is the only good thing I can say about it. Lansing is bland in every sense of the word. But hey, it's not my hometown. My apologies to Calvert Deforest, if he's still around. Bringing the capitol to the Motor City would probably put a damper on the RINO parades that usually start in Grand Rapids.

I do miss Westside Deli from my Lansing radio days, but my moles tell me they are long gone.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:15 am

Bland is the perfect word to describe the Lansing Metro.

Detroit, meanwhile, is a rathole.

Either city is perfect for housing the scourge known as politicians and lobbyists. Keeping those slime balls centralized in Lansing - away from the few nice areas of the state - works fine for me.

Lansing doesn't have congested Detroit traffic and enjoys excellent freeway access to/from most areas of the lower peninsula.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:24 pm

Lansing is a more centralized location, and there is nothing wrong with it. The two biggest centers of people in the state are in Detroit and Grand Rapids. Lansing is almost smack dab in between.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:07 pm

Move it to Flint so they can be surrounded by reminders of what poor policy does.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:08 pm

Strange how kaffer story had no comments section. It seems her and some of the radical left columnists and Mitch Albom are protected from getting their widdle feeeeeelings hurt

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:12 pm

Move it to Ironwood. That'll fuckin' show 'em.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:28 am

Move the capital to Warren, MI!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic