Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer bans guns

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Whitmer bans guns

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:04 pm

Round Six wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:25 pm
I have no problem with what TC started this thread with. The key word is convicted. Only those who are convicted. Unfortunately, I truly feel it won't be too long before accused will be good enough.
Fear tactic? We all can speculation outlandish concepts.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:06 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:14 am
bmw wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:46 pm

This law will end up challenged in court at some point.
Chicago judge rules federal statute barring felons from possessing guns is unconstitutional but says it’s a ‘close question’
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ch ... r-AA1jYoYq
But wait, you have told me that gun owners are law abiding citizens. This new law shouldn't matter to gun right activists.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:14 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:06 pm
Bryce wrote:
bmw wrote:

Chicago judge rules federal statute barring felons from possessing guns is unconstitutional but says it’s a ‘close question’
But wait, you have told me that gun owners are law abiding citizens. This new law shouldn't matter to gun right activists.
You're an idiot.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:53 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:14 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:06 pm
Bryce wrote:
bmw wrote:

You're an idiot.
Nope, I think guns are the biggest threat to US citizens. You choose to be ignorant that felons need guns. Keep being creepy.
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:07 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:53 pm
You choose to be ignorant that felons need guns. Keep being creepy.
That statement is just plain stupid.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:40 am

TC Talks wrote:
Bryce wrote:
You're an idiot.
Nope, I think guns are the biggest threat to US citizens. You choose to be ignorant that felons need guns. Keep being creepy.
Although I'm always uncomfortable calling someone an idiot, you do seem to live a sheltered life. Don't get me wrong, I'm a little jealous of your life by the bay, oblivious to the realities of the world.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:01 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:07 am
TC Talks wrote:
You choose to be ignorant that felons need guns. Keep being creepy.
That statement is just plain stupid.
Really? Criminals should have guns? That's genius
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:02 am

Round Six wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:40 am
TC Talks wrote:
Bryce wrote:
You're an idiot.
Although I'm always uncomfortable calling someone an idiot, you do seem to live a sheltered life. Don't get me wrong, I'm a little jealous of your life by the bay, oblivious to the realities of the world.
Bryce? I have called him many things,but not an idiot, yet.
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:49 am

Round Six wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:40 am
TC Talks wrote:
Bryce wrote:
You're an idiot.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss…

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:02 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Nope, I think guns are the biggest threat to US citizens.
This statement is just plain factually incorrect as less than 2 percent of deaths each year are caused by guns (and this number includes justified shootings and suicides). Now eating one too many Big Macs on the other hand...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:02 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Nope, I think guns are the biggest threat to US citizens.
This statement is just plain factually incorrect as less than 2 percent of deaths each year are caused by guns (and this number includes justified shootings and suicides). Now eating one too many Big Macs on the other hand...
Nice attempt... How many forced feeding resulting in deaths happen each year.
How many people die from gun-related injuries in the U.S. each year?
In 2021, the most recent year for which complete data is available, 48,830 people died from gun-related injuries in the U.S., according to the CDC. That figure includes gun murders and gun suicides, along with three less common types of gun-related deaths tracked by the CDC: those that were accidental, those that involved law enforcement and those whose circumstances could not be determined. The total excludes deaths in which gunshot injuries played a contributing, but not principal, role. (CDC fatality statistics are based on information contained in official death certificates, which identify a single cause of death.)
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:51 am

So your metric is how many people died through involuntary actions?

Suicide is a voluntary action and accounts for a little over half of the gun deaths per year, knocking that number from 48,000 down to around 22,000. Even just stopping right there, about 46,000 people die in a car accident every year, and I'm going to assume that roughly half of that total is people who died who weren't at fault, so 23,000. Driving is a necessity in modern society, so without even further chipping away at that gun death total, vehicles are already more dangerous than guns, even by your own metric.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:42 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:51 am
So your metric is how many people died through involuntary actions?

Suicide is a voluntary action and accounts for a little over half of the gun deaths per year, knocking that number from 48,000 down to around 22,000. Even just stopping right there, about 46,000 people die in a car accident every year, and I'm going to assume that roughly half of that total is people who died who weren't at fault, so 23,000. Driving is a necessity in modern society, so without even further chipping away at that gun death total, vehicles are already more dangerous than guns, even by your own metric.
A Car's main purpose is to transport us. A gun's only purpose is to kill. If we regulated guns like cars, they would have safety equipment and testing before you could be permitted to use one.

That's part of the reason why we should have mental health and felony restrictions on gun ownership.
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic