Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Guns kill Children

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Guns kill Children

Post by TC Talks » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:47 am

Anti-abortion nuts, eplain how you can defend guns and yet claim abortions kill children (they don't btw)...

Guns are a leading cause of death for children. Is this God's will?
A 2-yearold boy in Michigan has died from a gunshot wound after police believe he was left alone in a car with an unsecured firearm. Lansing police said the incident took place outside a gas station Tuesday afternoon, where they found the boy with a gunshot wound. The toddler was transported to a hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.

“It is believed the child was alone in the car and had unsupervised access to an unsecured gun,” Jordan Gulkis, a spokesperson for the Lansing Police Department, told The Associated Press in a statement Thursday.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

craig11152

Re: Guns kill Children

Post by craig11152 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:59 am

A gun is an inanimate object that just sits there until somebody picks it up.
While cars technically kill people its the bad driver we actually blame.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:53 pm

When you look at the stats, it seems poor gun ownership behaviors and participation in illegal drug trade are among the main reasons younger people die when firearms are involved. Obviously, many gun owners do not practice safe storage practices in their homes. Considering the frequency at which kids shoot themselves or others with unsecured weapons, perhaps communities should maintain records of gun owners with underage children that are used to do audits on how well their firearms are being stored in the home.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:56 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:53 pm
When you look at the stats, it seems poor gun ownership behaviors and participation in illegal drug trade are among the main reasons younger people die when firearms are involved. Obviously, many gun owners do not practice safe storage practices in their homes. Considering the frequency at which kids shoot themselves or others with unsecured weapons, perhaps communities should maintain records of gun owners with underage children that are used to do audits on how well their firearms are being stored in the home.
I have a feeling that most of the firearms that cause these kind of accidents aren't registered in the first place or are in the possession of people that own them illegally. I'd love to see a study done on that.

Are responsible gun owners to be penalized because of the actions of an irresponsible few? Or, should we crack down harder, with much harsher penalties, on people caught in the possession of an illegal firearm?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:59 pm

Nothing is going to change. In the days following the Sandy Hook shootings, a video was shown on TV of one of the victims, a little girl. She was playng Come Thou Almighty King on the piano. She ended with the sweetest missing tooth smile. If that didn't change anyone's heart, nothing will.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:32 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:56 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
I have a feeling that most of the firearms that cause these kind of accidents aren't registered in the first place or are in the possession of people that own them illegally. I'd love to see a study done on that.

Are responsible gun owners to be penalized because of the actions of an irresponsible few? Or, should we crack down harder, with much harsher penalties, on people caught in the possession of an illegal firearm?
The surveillance image from the Maine shooting which was at a youth bowling league is a guy going in Rambo style with a weapon nobody has a valid rationale for owning with one purpose… to quickly and efficiently kill things. Prove to me its existence isn’t for that purpose and it has a valid use other than that. Go ahead and tell me how many other things it can do. I’ll wait. Handguns like those often used in cases where a kid shoots himself or something may have a slightly better rationale but not much better. But the technology of 1789 is what should be legal. We are told the context of when it was ratified matters. None of these other things existed at that time. They can be made illegal and it should easily stand a court challenge using logic we were provided last year in the New York case about gun bans.

Outside of countries in the third world we are the only place either mass killings or accidental shootings happen regularly… that’s instructive.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Bryce wrote:
It seems like there hasn't been much recearch on that. From what I can find, it seems like in most cases, the gun was legally owned. However, enough data exists that a robust study could be done on this, that would be nice, but it just seems that plenty of gun owners are not careful with their firearms.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2801915

But then the research was probably done by libs.
Bryce wrote:
When about 18% of people in a sample are admitting to being irresponsible and most cases involve legally owned firearms, then I think we are stretching the definition of "few" a bit thin. But yes, crack down harder on people found to possess a firearm illegally. It won't scare criminals away from possessing the weapon but it will get criminals off the street, particularly those in drug and sex trafficking.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:33 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:32 pm
Bryce wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:

The surveillance image from the Maine shooting which was at a youth bowling league is a guy going in Rambo style with a weapon nobody has a valid rationale for owning with one purpose… to quickly and efficiently kill things. Prove to me its existence isn’t for that purpose and it has a valid use other than that. Go ahead and tell me how many other things it can do. I’ll wait. Handguns like those often used in cases where a kid shoots himself or something may have a slightly better rationale but not much better. But the technology of 1789 is what should be legal. We are told the context of when it was ratified matters. None of these other things existed at that time. They can be made illegal and it should easily stand a court challenge using logic we were provided last year in the New York case about gun bans.

Outside of countries in the third world we are the only place either mass killings or accidental shootings happen regularly… that’s instructive.
It would seem that the "gun" wasn't the driving force in this situation.
Family of Maine shooting suspect says his mental health had deteriorated rapidly
Robert Card’s sister-in-law said relatives contacted his Army Reserve unit and police after he began hearing voices
Seems like the Army and police dropped the ball on this one.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:57 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:33 pm
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:

It would seem that the "gun" wasn't the driving force in this situation.
Family of Maine shooting suspect says his mental health had deteriorated rapidly
Robert Card’s sister-in-law said relatives contacted his Army Reserve unit and police after he began hearing voices
Seems like the Army and police dropped the ball on this one.
We really need to set the mental hospitals back up.... That would start with repealing the community mental health act of 1963.

But how many people could he kill with a musket before someone stopped him or with some sort of other low capacity gun? If you want the things lets at least make them reasonable ones you can own. An AR15 isn't really reasonable... it's cartoonish. Besides... The government can annihilate any rebels without even showing up in person if that's the hangup here.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:05 pm

Didn't work so well in Israel and their military is better than ours.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:12 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:05 pm
Didn't work so well in Israel and their military is better than ours.
I'm not so sure that's true. They talked about invading for a week and a half before they did anything on the ground. Nice element of surprise. But if push comes to shove a bunch of bombs or a nuke solves many problems that will vaporize or blast a gun to bits. I do not recommend you bring a gun to an aerial bombardment.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:16 pm

Rate This wrote:

Where were all the good guys with guns, while this was going down?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:55 pm

Israel has numerous gun restrictions on who can own guns and what type of guns they can own.

Betcha 50 bucks those restrictions will be loosened in the near future.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:01 pm

Unrelated, but my heart breaks for that poor child. To have your life ended at two years old just hurts. That isn't right.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:02 pm

And, how about anybody reported to a government agency by a family member purporting mental illness we have a home visit, ask questions, and have a search of the entire premise for weapons and if found confiscate them.

If that happened in this case, probably could have saved 18 lives.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic