Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What am I missing?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Graham Wellington

What am I missing?

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:39 am

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 438996007/

So police receive a call that a person ran into a Meijer store with a gun. Police respond, find person that matches description provided. Said person runs out of store when confronted, and police follow. Suspect pulls gun, prompting police to fire and ultimately drop the suspect.

Despite all that, the judge rules that police were in the wrong because they didn't see the alleged crime take place, and therefore racially profiled the suspect by approaching him. Even though he matched the description provided to 911.

If this was a school, should Police do "more work to verify the tip" before responding and looking for the suspect, as was suggested in court?

What an idiotic ruling by Judge Aquilina.

Rate This

Re: What am I missing?

Post by Rate This » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:50 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:39 am

So police receive a call that a person ran into a Meijer store with a gun. Police respond, find person that matches description provided. Said person runs out of store when confronted, and police follow. Suspect pulls gun, prompting police to fire and ultimately drop the suspect.

Despite all that, the judge rules that police were in the wrong because they didn't see the alleged crime take place, and therefore racially profiled the suspect by approaching him. Even though he matched the description provided to 911.

If this was a school, should Police do "more work to verify the tip" before responding and looking for the suspect, as was suggested in court?

I have no idea… so they sit there and try to find the 911 caller and verify the story and meantime the guy kills a few people or takes a hostage… I mean… we don’t have time for that. The AG’s office was bringing the charges too… I’d say the judge went a little rogue… not even close.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:35 am

We have an epidemic of moronic judges in this state.

The judicial tenure commission is a joke. The foxes are guarding the hen house.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:35 pm

[police] saw VanAtten with a handgun that was later found beneath a parked car. VanAtten's fingerprints were found on the weapon, police said.
should be case proceeds..he had weapon.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:56 pm

He was simply a young Black man with a face mask in a Meijers.
So are we talking like a Covid mask, or a full-size mask with a couple of eye holes that you'd wear if you were robbing a bank? If the latter, then that may be the most ridiculous sentence ever uttered in that Judge's career.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:33 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:

I’ve seen other rulings she’s made in the past on hot button issues and she normally gets it right

So she says that she may reconsider the ruling and adds that it should possibly go to the Court of Appeals? She’s almost coming out and saying she knows she made the wrong decision

I’ve read other decisions she’s made in the past on hot button issues and she normally get it right

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:46 pm

Realist wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:33 pm
Graham Wellington wrote:

I’ve seen other rulings she’s made in the past on hot button issues and she normally gets it right

So she says that she may reconsider the ruling and adds that it should possibly go to the Court of Appeals? She’s almost coming out and saying she knows she made the wrong decision

I’ve read other decisions she’s made in the past on hot button issues and she normally get it right

Agreed, she typically is pretty sensible in her decisions, which makes this one even more off the wall. Kind of seems like she wasn't in the mood for this case on that day and just threw out a decision in order to get out the door.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic