Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Move to Michigan for safe abortions and transgender protections

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Move to Michigan for safe abortions and transgender protections

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:48 pm

For once, the state will highlight our progressive values to attract young educated people.
Abortion access part of state’s pitch to attract new residents

More than six months after Michigan voted to make access to abortion a constitutional right, the issue remains at the forefront for policymakers.

State lawmakers recently added abortion to the state’s civil rights protections, and nearly 40 bills are pending in the Legislature related to reproductive rights.

Abortion access is a talking point of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s marketing effort to jump-start Michigan’s stagnant population, while a progressive group bought a billboard in Florida promoting Michigan’s abortion rights.

While the amendment passed with 57 percent of the vote, a Bridge Michigan analysis shows support was not evenly distributed.

Nor did the results of the amendment perfectly align with where Whitmer prevailed over conservative Republican challenger Tudor Dixon in the November election.

Here are a few takeaways:

MANY DIXON VOTERS SUPPORTED PROPOSAL 3
During the campaign, Dixon argued abortion, which she opposes except when the mother’s life is in danger, shouldn’t be a part of the governor’s race because Proposal 3 was on the ballot.

And many people voted for her, but disagreed with her position on abortion. In nearly one-fifth of the precincts where Dixon beat Whitmer, a majority of voters also supported Proposal 3.

Dixon, of Norton Shores in West Michigan, got 80 percent of her votes in precincts that opposed Proposal 3.

Whitmer cruised to reelection by 11 percentage points, and the link between support for her and Proposal 3 was more direct: 99.5 percent of her votes came from voters in precincts that also backed Proposal 3.

URBAN CENTERS
Some of the strongest support for Proposal 3 — and Whitmer — came in Democratic strongholds of Detroit, Flint, Saginaw and Pontiac, where high percentages, often more than 80 percent, backed Proposal 3 while also giving Whitmer H*** margins over Dixon.

Statewide, more than 80 percent of voters in 588 precincts voted “yes” on Proposal 3.

Although the results as depicted on a state map make it appear that residents are predominantly opposed to abortion, there are far fewer voters in the rural areas. Metropolitan Detroit is home to 40 percent of the state’s population.

The amendment won with 68 percent of the vote in Wayne County and 64 percent and 55 percent in Oakland and Macomb counties. It picked up nearly 55 percent of the vote in Kent County, which has more than 650,000 people and is the fourth-largest county after Wayne, Oakland and Macomb.

COLLEGE TOWNS
Voters in many college communities, where voters are typically younger and more liberal, strongly backed Proposal 3.

It passed by large margins in Ann Arbor (University of Michigan) and much of Washtenaw County, and in Kalamazoo (Western Michigan), Ingham (Michigan State), Isabella (Central Michigan) and Marquette (Northern Michigan) counties.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Re: Move to Michigan for safe abortions and transgender protections

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:57 am

I could just imagine the next "Pure Michigan" ad campaign with you and Gretch in charge.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:29 am

"Abortion access is a talking point of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s marketing effort to jump-start Michigan’s stagnant population"

Something about that statement just screams "oxymoron"!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:54 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:29 am
"Abortion access is a talking point of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s marketing effort to jump-start Michigan’s stagnant population"

Something about that statement just screams "oxymoron"!!
:rollin

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:10 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:48 pm
For once, the state will highlight our progressive values to methodically eradicate POC while fooling them in to thinking we are their saviors..
abortion rate/population by race in the USA

39%/59.3% white
28%/12.6% black
25%/18.9% Hispanic
6%/5.9% asian
3% other.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:13 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:57 am
I could just imagine the next "Pure Michigan" ad campaign with you and Gretch in charge.
It's amazing how freedom is so threatening to you. Republicans want to force Americans to live by "Kristian" values. Democrats want you to be free to make your own health decisions. This is why Democrat values enjoy so much support, even from Republican voters.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:56 am

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:10 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:48 pm
For once, the state will highlight our progressive values to methodically eradicate POC while fooling them in to thinking we are their saviors..
abortion rate/population by race in the USA

39%/59.3% white
28%/12.6% black
25%/18.9% Hispanic
6%/5.9% asian
3% other.
You understand that the way you changed his quote is to a bullshit conspiracy theory right?

The numbers are also rather misleading. It matters how many total abortions there were in raw numbers. The ratio of percent of abortions to percent of the population doesn’t. If you’re gonna do this… do it right man.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:03 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:13 pm
Democrats want you to be free to make your own health decisions.
Oh, that's right. I forgot. A big time Democrat promised me that If I like my Doctor I could keep my Doctor. If I liked my plan, I could keep my plan. Silly me.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:15 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:03 am
TC Talks wrote:
Oh, that's right. I forgot. A big time Democrat promised me that If I like my Doctor I could keep my Doctor. If I liked my plan, I could keep my plan. Silly me.
Millions more people now have healthcare in the US. Name an inconvenience you've experienced.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:56 am

Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
We’ve had this discussion before… there was something about that plan that fell below some threshold somewhere for a bare minimum plan. That was part of what the ACA was designed to do. Eliminate insurance that didn’t provide enough benefit when push came to shove. As for your doctor… he accepts some sort of insurance… you could go buy a plan from the marketplace for whatever insurance he accepts and keep going. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:34 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:15 am
Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Millions more people now have healthcare in the US. Name an inconvenience you've experienced.
Although that is true, many more people are under insured than they were prior to ACA. The cost of my current plan is almost double the cost of my old plan and the deductibles are considerably higher than they were in 2010.

Again, ACA limited my healthcare options so don't spout off about how Democrats are all about healthcare choices.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:34 am
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:15 am
Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Although that is true, many more people are under insured than they were prior to ACA. The cost of my current plan is almost double the cost of my old plan and the deductibles are considerably higher than they were in 2010.

Again, ACA limited my healthcare options so don't spout off about how Democrats are all about healthcare choices.
ACA is not responsible for price increases... Lack of regulation by Republicans. Tell me they didn't turn a blind eye to price gouging.

Case in point:
NEW YORK, June 6 (Reuters) - Merck & Co (MRK.N) sued the U.S. government on Tuesday, seeking to halt the Medicare drug price negotiation program contained in the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), which it argues violates the Fifth and First Amendments to the U.S. Constitution.

This is the first attempt by a drugmaker to challenge the law, which the pharmaceutical industry says will result in a loss of profits that will force them to pull back on developing groundbreaking new treatments.

Americans pay more for prescription medicines than any other country. The Biden administration's drug pricing reform aims to save $25 billion annually by 2031 through price negotiations for drugs paid for by Medicare, the government health plan for those age 65 and over.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, argues that under the law, drugmakers would be forced to negotiate prices for drugs at below market rates.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:48 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 pm

ACA is not responsible for price increases... Lack of regulation by Republicans. Tell me they didn't turn a blind eye to price gouging.
Horseshit. Don't try and deflect. Barry sold it by touting the fact it would bring health insurance prices down, if I liked my plan, I could keep my plan as well as my Doctor. He and the dems wrote it and passed it without any Republican input nor single Republican vote. It reduced my ability to choose my health care (So much for being pro choice) options as well as increased my deductible considerably.

Go sit down.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:04 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:48 am
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:46 pm

Horseshit. Don't try and deflect. Barry sold it by touting the fact it would bring health insurance prices down, if I liked my plan, I could keep my plan as well as my Doctor. He and the dems wrote it and passed it without any Republican input nor single Republican vote. It reduced my ability to choose my health care (So much for being pro choice) options as well as increased my deductible considerably.

Go sit down.
Or the insurance you had didn’t meet a bare minimum standard as outlined in the law. I assume you are buying your health insurance yourself?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:25 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:56 am
The numbers are also rather misleading. It matters how many total abortions there were in raw numbers. The ratio of percent of abortions to percent of the population doesn’t. If you’re gonna do this… do it right man.
Good to know because the whole "Black Lives Matter" police brutality movement depends on percentages NOT raw numbers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic