Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan’s new roads plan: More money for big counties (that vote Democratic)

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Michigan’s new roads plan: More money for big counties (that vote Democratic)

Post by audiophile » Wed May 17, 2023 10:10 am

No one is suggesting all counties should be equal, but this seems like a disproportionate allocation.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-gover ... democratic

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bobbert

Re: Michigan’s new roads plan: More money for big counties (that vote Democratic)

Post by Bobbert » Wed May 17, 2023 10:12 am

audiophile wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:10 am
No one is suggesting all counties should be equal, but this seems like a disproportionate allocation.

It's all about winning elections. All of the rest of it is noise. That's why I avoid the political threads on the Buzzboard.

Rate This

Re: Michigan’s new roads plan: More money for big counties (that vote Democratic)

Post by Rate This » Wed May 17, 2023 10:26 am

audiophile wrote:

You have to spend much more money where the population is… the roads in the most populated counties get way more abuse than do the roads up north or in the middle of nowhere. Trust me… they are fixing all kinds of things up there too.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed May 17, 2023 1:03 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:26 am
audiophile wrote:

You have to spend much more money where the population is… the roads in the most populated counties get way more abuse than do the roads up north or in the middle of nowhere. Trust me… they are fixing all kinds of things up there too.
Maybe you missed this:
A $6.8 billion transportation budget approved by Senate Democrats on Wednesday includes $150 million in extra one-time money for local roads in counties with populations of at least 350,000 residents: Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Kent, Genesee and Washtenaw.
I guess other counties get chicken feed (other than several critical infrastructure projects).

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed May 17, 2023 2:55 pm

With that being the case, northern MI roads have been largely neglected for too long and its getting worse.
Rate This wrote:
audiophile wrote:

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed May 17, 2023 3:27 pm

I really wish Michigan would remove the 6% sales tax on gasoline. We already pay state and federal tax on it. IMO, everything you pay in tax at the pump should go towards roads. I am not opposed to tolling either.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 17, 2023 4:19 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:03 pm
Rate This wrote:
audiophile wrote:

Maybe you missed this:
A $6.8 billion transportation budget approved by Senate Democrats on Wednesday includes $150 million in extra one-time money for local roads in counties with populations of at least 350,000 residents: Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Kent, Genesee and Washtenaw.
I guess other counties get chicken feed (other than several critical infrastructure projects).
Again.. that’s where the people are. It makes sense to focus on the heaviest traffic areas… repaving a road the locals let their children have tea parties in the middle of because there’s a car once an hour just isn’t a priority.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed May 17, 2023 4:59 pm

Some things they out to do, but for some it's probably too late.

Extend I-275 as far as they possibly can between Novi and Holly.

Extend the M-53 Expressway as much as possible from Romeo to Imlay City.

Put a connector expressway between I-75 and US 23 in Northern Oakland and or Southern Genesee County.

If you kook further outstate, nearly every larger city has bypasses like these, often redundantly surrounding them.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed May 17, 2023 5:09 pm

I gotta agree with Rate This. Although I'm not familiar with the roads in Kent or Genesee County, the boulevards in Metro Detroit are truly dismal compared to anywhere I've been outside of SE Lower Michigan.

Interesting quote from the article:

" ... The plan also includes $50 million to build a railroad underpass or overpass near Van Horn and M-85 in Trenton, where two people died in 2019 when their car hit a moving train ... ".

Now I know the project they are talking about. But I don't remember anyone getting killed there. I will be asking around.

EDIT; Two people did get hit by a train (actually, they drove into the side of a moving train) in Trenton in 2019. The engineer had to be flagged down six miles away. He never knew anyone hit the train.
However, this happened about 5 miles east of the proposed underpass project on a different track.
Last edited by Round Six on Wed May 17, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 17, 2023 5:16 pm

Blame the people that can't quit Trump, like ap and bz: you handed the Dems total control in November.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed May 17, 2023 5:37 pm

Actually, there was a plan years ago to extend I-475 south to join up with US-23, but that plan went by the boards. They really screwed up when they built some of these freeways. Case in point...the I-69, I-75 interchange. What a mess. The stretch from Corunna Rd. (M-21, Exit 118) down to the 75-23 split is one of the most dangerous stretches of freeway in the state. There's accidents there every day. If you've ever driven thru there, you know what I mean.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed May 17, 2023 6:49 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:37 pm
Actually, there was a plan years ago to extend I-475 south to join up with US-23, but that plan went by the boards. They really screwed up when they built some of these freeways. Case in point...the I-69, I-75 interchange. What a mess. The stretch from Corunna Rd. (M-21, Exit 118) down to the 75-23 split is one of the most dangerous stretches of freeway in the state. There's accidents there every day. If you've ever driven thru there, you know what I mean.
What's your thoughts about not having a 69/75 interchange?

Instead, re-design the 69/Bristol interchange and make Bristol a limited access (with the exception of the airport) connector to a re-designed Bristol/75 interchange. With the exception of the airport, there's pretty much nothing on Bristol between 69 and 75 anyway. Isn't there empty space around where 69 and Bristol meet? And empty space around where Bristol and 75 meet? Seems to me there's enough empty space around both of those intersections to make big cloverleafs.

Whatta think?
Last edited by Round Six on Wed May 17, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 17, 2023 6:52 pm

I live in a county that don't qualify for this extra credit, and I still think it's a great idea. I really dislike going to large cities in Michigan if it means driving on the roads.

It really doesn't matter the politics, but if lived in Grand Rapids, I would remember who took care of the roads.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 17, 2023 7:41 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:59 pm
Some things they out to do, but for some it's probably too late.

Extend I-275 as far as they possibly can between Novi and Holly.

Extend the M-53 Expressway as much as possible from Romeo to Imlay City.

Put a connector expressway between I-75 and US 23 in Northern Oakland and or Southern Genesee County.

If you kook further outstate, nearly every larger city has bypasses like these, often redundantly surrounding them.
275 was supposed to run between 75 in Monroe County and 75 in Gennesee County as a bypass around Detroit. M-5 in Novi is on the right of way. The locals north of there raised such a fuss in the 70’s that the plan was abandoned. Same with making 23 a freeway north of Standish.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed May 17, 2023 8:00 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:16 pm
Blame the people that can't quit Trump, like ap and bz: you handed the Dems total control in November.
Translation:

Sununu-Cheney, 2024.

Orange man bad.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic