Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hunter's Laptop, Russia Russia Russia, Hillary's Emails

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

Hunter's Laptop, Russia Russia Russia, Hillary's Emails

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Sun May 14, 2023 8:12 am

Politics isn't about polices and governing anymore. It's about "own the libs" and "stop the Nazi take over" - culture wars that ultimately demean the process and the nation.

Take DeSantis. First, the Disney debacle. Why on earth does a politician go after a private company, one of the largest employers in his state, over a statement. Not something the company did, but what it said! And then double down by claiming the government can change the way the company does business. Nothing done in this process has made life better for anyone in Florida... but it has shown that we've come a long way from Reaganism.

(I know... before "What About"ism crops up in this thread... In the future, I will pick out someone from the other party doing the same thing, but DeSantis is such an easy target here.)

Then, the governor starts right into the Putin/Erdogan playbook - stop the press from saying bad things about him, change the law so he can run with out resigning and keeping his travel secret. "Anti-woke" is all about government getting involved in personal and professional lives and not about good government or good policy. Show me a thriving democracy full of personal freedoms and a robust economy where the government tells you what books your kids can read.

I credit all of this to the broken system of party only primaries. Look at how small of a percentage of Americans actually participated in the selection of the last 6 candidates for President. I don't know how to fix this, but it certain needs some Gorilla glue somewhere.

km1125

Re: Hunter's Laptop, Russia Russia Russia, Hillary's Emails

Post by km1125 » Sun May 14, 2023 8:41 am

Specifically on the Disney thing....

What other companies in the entire country get to have their own oversight on construction and get to run their own police department? They got "special dispensation" on these things for several decades to build their empire and they should be grateful for that. Now it's time to play like everyone else has to.

And on the primaries...

I still wonder why these exist at all. The political parties should make their own decisions on who they want to support in the general election. If THEY want to have a vote, then THEY should be funding and executing it. They could "piggyback" on local elections for convenience of the voters, but they still should have a significant bill to pay for that benefit.

I also think we should get TWO votes. One "YES" and one "NO" in each election. That could easily eliminate the worst candidates on "both sides".

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 14, 2023 8:47 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:41 am

What other companies in the entire country get to have their own oversight on construction and get to run their own police department? They got "special dispensation" on these things for several decades to build their empire and they should be grateful for that. Now it's time to play like everyone else has to.

And on the primaries...

I still wonder why these exist at all. The political parties should make their own decisions on who they want to support in the general election. If THEY want to have a vote, then THEY should be funding and executing it. They could "piggyback" on local elections for convenience of the voters, but they still should have a significant bill to pay for that benefit.

I also think we should get TWO votes. One "YES" and one "NO" in each election. That could easily eliminate the worst candidates on "both sides".
But the Disney thing is NOT about “you’ve had enough time, times up”… it is SPECIFICALLY about them supposedly being “woke”. The problem is that being “anti-woke” is a loser politically. Why? People can’t define what it means. It works with the base the same way “save the whales!” Works with the base on the left. This is why DeSantis won’t be winning anything anytime soon.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Sun May 14, 2023 9:39 am

First, my apologies for posting this in the Michigan thread. Too early on a Sunday and not enough coffee.
km1125 wrote:

But it's a mutually beneficial relationship... the state and Orange County residents save lots of cash on fire protection, etc. And it's not the only place where this happens. Why bale out of these win-win deals just because of something that was said.
km1125 wrote:
And on the primaries...

Open primaries are the answer. Top 2 vote getters move on to the general.
Isn't that what "ranked choice" ends up being? In any case, it's low voter turnout in primaries that are the biggest problem. Causing the most radical candidates who can rile up the most passionate voters to win.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 14, 2023 9:54 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:39 am
First, my apologies for posting this in the Michigan thread. Too early on a Sunday and not enough coffee.
km1125 wrote:

But it's a mutually beneficial relationship... the state and Orange County residents save lots of cash on fire protection, etc. And it's not the only place where this happens. Why bale out of these win-win deals just because of something that was said.
km1125 wrote:
And on the primaries...

Open primaries are the answer. Top 2 vote getters move on to the general.
Isn't that what "ranked choice" ends up being? In any case, it's low voter turnout in primaries that are the biggest problem. Causing the most radical candidates who can rile up the most passionate voters to win.
Yes ranked choice is exactly that. You cast a vote as 1st choice for a candidate that doesn’t win and your vote goes to your second choice or third depending on who is in the next round until it’s down to one. The country as a whole needs to adopt that system. It works.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed May 17, 2023 12:31 am

Why I didn't vote for either Biden or Trump in 2020 and voted 3RD party will do it again in 2024 I'm dreading the rematch. I wish there was a strong 3RD party to light a fire under the 2 party system in my opinion. In 2016 I wish I voted for Gary Johnson never again voting for the lesser of the 2 evils. I wish in primaries that the voters vote for AG & SOS than at a convention where grassroots get the extreme candidates DePerno & Karomo who shouldn't be the head of the Michigan GOP.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic