Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The ACLU is against this bill. I'll be on my 2 meter or HF radio if you need me...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
ZenithCKLW

Re: The ACLU is against this bill. I'll be on my 2 meter or HF radio if you need me...

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun May 07, 2023 6:01 pm

Get a boomer to place a signature on a PDF. LOL

Turkeytop

Re: The ACLU is against this bill. I'll be on my 2 meter or HF radio if you need me...

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 07, 2023 6:48 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:38 pm
Have a teenager dial a rotary phone. LOL

Ask a guest at Hampton Inn what time it is.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun May 07, 2023 8:59 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:38 pm
Have a teenager dial a rotary phone. LOL
There are some hilarious videos of teenagers trying to do just that.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 09, 2023 10:15 am

The bottom line is, driving is a licensed activity, not a right. As such, government can pass whatever restrictions it wants on said activity. Me personally, I'm all for banning the use of cell phones by the driver, even including handless. Frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to banning touchscreens in all vehicles and going back to knobs and dials.

And while we're at it, I think we should also pass a statewide limit of 65 MPH being the max speed limit on interstate and 60 MPH on any other highway.

I'm tired of people who think that their car is their second home and that they can do whatever they want in their second home, regardless of the amount of danger their behavior poses to others, all because their attention span is such that the mere act of driving isn't enough mental stimulation for their brains.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue May 09, 2023 10:30 am

In my state it is a 250 dollar fine the first time, it goes up after that, to be holding a mobile device while driving, in use or not, and the police enforce it on out of state drivers too. I am lucky that my phone works through the infotainment system for calls and texts. It should be a federal law as my youngest daughter was almost killed by a driver more interested in texting than driving and her car was a total loss. If you can't be bothered o pull over turn the damn thing off.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue May 09, 2023 10:34 am

bmw wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:15 am
The bottom line is, driving is a licensed activity, not a right. As such, government can pass whatever restrictions it wants on said activity. Me personally, I'm all for banning the use of cell phones by the driver, even including handless. Frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to banning touchscreens in all vehicles and going back to knobs and dials.

And while we're at it, I think we should also pass a statewide limit of 65 MPH being the max speed limit on interstate and 60 MPH on any other highway.

I'm tired of people who think that their car is their second home and that they can do whatever they want in their second home, regardless of the amount of danger their behavior poses to others, all because their attention span is such that the mere act of driving isn't enough mental stimulation for their brains.
Hmmm. Interesting discussion. Anything pulling a trailer are way out-driving conditions on winter covered roads. Semi doing 65 MPH on anything except clear, perfect, lightly traveled roads is dangerous to other vehicles.

My large car (16 feet long) can get near 60+ MPG when driven 55 MPH on a warm day. Bump that 70 MPH and maybe you'll get 50+ MPG. Speed has a H*** effect on economy. Also the survival rate of crashs goes way down on two-lane roads above 55 MPH. Expressway at least everyone is going the same way. The danger on expressways comes in whiteouts, fog or icy roads.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 09, 2023 6:38 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:34 am
bmw wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:15 am

Hmmm. Interesting discussion. Anything pulling a trailer are way out-driving conditions on winter covered roads. Semi doing 65 MPH on anything except clear, perfect, lightly traveled roads is dangerous to other vehicles.

My large car (16 feet long) can get near 60+ MPG when driven 55 MPH on a warm day. Bump that 70 MPH and maybe you'll get 50+ MPG. Speed has a H*** effect on economy. Also the survival rate of crashs goes way down on two-lane roads above 55 MPH. Expressway at least everyone is going the same way. The danger on expressways comes in whiteouts, fog or icy roads.
What sort of large car are you driving with your foot clearly not on the accelerator at 55 mph down a hill?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 10, 2023 4:32 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:25 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:50 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:45 pm
Sat May 06, 2023 7:48 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:42 pm
Sat May 06, 2023 5:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:48 am
Sat May 06, 2023 1:58 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:19 pm
Fri May 05, 2023 5:31 pm
It's bullshit. I am perfectly safe to drive hands free. The people eating and doing makeup while driving are far more dangerous.
They want you to drive hands free. They don’t want soccer moms driving 2023 Lincoln navigators which have multiple hands free systems still using the damn phone to their ear veering all over the road. I don’t get it… with a way to be hands free in a new car… why do people screw with holding the phone to their ear still?
No, I mean I drive with it in my lap. And I may dial a number at a light. That should be legal. The information essentially says the phone cannot be touching your person.
Time to get CarPlay or android auto on your car radio.
I have a 2009 Saab, and I am not getting shit. They said they won't fine you unless you get into an accident. Other than a drunk idiot backing into me in a crowded area after Ferndale Pride, I don't have an incident to my name. Totally not my fault. There were pedestrians all around me so I couldn't back up. Idiot rear ended the guy in front of me, panicked, and threw it into reverse and hit the gas.
I upgraded my 2008 Lucerne… great idea. It’s like having a new car. $600. You can get cheaper ones. If you must hold the thing and fool with it while moving… famous last words.
I have my phone in my lap or in the passenger seat when talking. I only dial at a light. I am good.
Are we to the point that a phone is an appendage or something?
Not at all. I am only saying this when I have to call or someone calls me. Being I am on the board for my condo complex, I have to be reachable during the day. Shit happens and I am not always at home.
It literally can’t wait till you’re where you’re going and it’s too inconvenient to pull over?
I have a mother, father, and brother who have health issues. So, not always.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed May 10, 2023 4:56 pm

Wed May 10, 2023 4:32 pm
Rate This wrote:
It literally can’t wait till you’re where you’re going and it’s too inconvenient to pull over?
Because your folks have health issues, you can't stop the car to use the phone?
I'll need a little more reason please. Seems, and I could be mistaken, if there's a medical emergency, you would want to pull over somewhere and give first responders a fixed location.

Freak:
"Hello 911? Yeah my dad's having chest pains, Right now we're a moving target on 696.
Ma, was that Ryan or Mt. Elliot we just passed?"

Dispatch:
" ... 7 .... 8 .... 9 ..... 10. Okay. Ready or not here we come".

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 10, 2023 6:40 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:56 pm
Rate This wrote:
I'll need a little more reason please. Seems, and I could be mistaken, if there's a medical emergency, you would want to pull over somewhere and give first responders a fixed location.

Freak:
"Hello 911? Yeah my dad's having chest pains, Right now we're a moving target on 696.

Dispatch:
If I am in heavy ass traffic on Van Dyke, one does not simply "pull over".

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 10, 2023 8:09 pm

Wed May 10, 2023 6:40 pm
Round Six wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:56 pm
Rate This wrote:

Freak:

Dispatch:
If I am in heavy ass traffic on Van Dyke, one does not simply "pull over".
One finds the nearest safe opportunity (any driveway) and pulls in.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 11, 2023 4:43 pm

No, I was talking about me receiving a call from a distressed parent/brother while I am in the car alone in bottle necked traffic.

Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 11, 2023 4:47 pm

Thu May 11, 2023 4:43 pm
No, I was talking about me receiving a call from a distressed parent/brother while I am in the car alone in bottle necked traffic.
Put it on speaker and set it down I suppose.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 11, 2023 4:54 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:47 pm
Which is what I do.

Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 11, 2023 5:20 pm

Thu May 11, 2023 4:54 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:47 pm
Which is what I do.
Perfect. But coming real soon look around you first.

Too bad this isn't like idling trucks and buses in New York City where they pay you a reward to report people. I'd quit my job and stand on a busy corner 8 hours a day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic