Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The ACLU is against this bill. I'll be on my 2 meter or HF radio if you need me...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

The ACLU is against this bill. I'll be on my 2 meter or HF radio if you need me...

Post by audiophile » Fri May 05, 2023 8:55 am

On one hand most of my driving is the middle of nowhere and I never do anything unless the road is completely clear. Also have a 100% perfect driving record (over one million miles).

On the other hand there is lot of drivers that can't seem to put it down.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mic ... gan-house/

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Re: The ACLU is against this bill. I'll be on my 2 meter or HF radio if you need me...

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 05, 2023 12:05 pm

Looks like Michigan is catching up to the rest of the world.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

audiophile

Re: The ACLU is against this bill. I'll be on my 2 meter or HF radio if you need me...

Post by audiophile » Fri May 05, 2023 12:23 pm

Amateur radio is exempted...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri May 05, 2023 5:31 pm

It's bullshit. I am perfectly safe to drive hands free. The people eating and doing makeup while driving are far more dangerous.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 05, 2023 10:19 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:31 pm
It's bullshit. I am perfectly safe to drive hands free. The people eating and doing makeup while driving are far more dangerous.
They want you to drive hands free. They don’t want soccer moms driving 2023 Lincoln navigators which have multiple hands free systems still using the damn phone to their ear veering all over the road. I don’t get it… with a way to be hands free in a new car… why do people screw with holding the phone to their ear still?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 pm

Because anyone like my parents have no idea how to connect their phone to the car and use the hands free system, and have no desire to learn. And if anyone’s car is like my old Fusion, it didn’t work most of the time anyway.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 05, 2023 11:53 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 pm
Because anyone like my parents have no idea how to connect their phone to the car and use the hands free system, and have no desire to learn. And if anyone’s car is like my old Fusion, it didn’t work most of the time anyway.
What year was your old fusion? I ditched the sync in my 2011 escape and jury rigged my modern iPhone to the aux Jack and off I went… still hands free. I just leave it on the center console. Pretty crude I’ll grant.

As for old folks not wanting to learn… I suppose this is an example of adapt or parish.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat May 06, 2023 1:58 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:19 pm
They want you to drive hands free. They don’t want soccer moms driving 2023 Lincoln navigators which have multiple hands free systems still using the damn phone to their ear veering all over the road. I don’t get it… with a way to be hands free in a new car… why do people screw with holding the phone to their ear still?
No, I mean I drive with it in my lap. And I may dial a number at a light. That should be legal. The information essentially says the phone cannot be touching your person.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 06, 2023 6:48 am

Sat May 06, 2023 1:58 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:19 pm
No, I mean I drive with it in my lap. And I may dial a number at a light. That should be legal. The information essentially says the phone cannot be touching your person.
Time to get CarPlay or android auto on your car radio.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat May 06, 2023 7:12 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:53 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:
What year was your old fusion? I ditched the sync in my 2011 escape and jury rigged my modern iPhone to the aux Jack and off I went… still hands free. I just leave it on the center console. Pretty crude I’ll grant.

As for old folks not wanting to learn… I suppose this is an example of adapt or parish.
It was a 2014 Fusion. It was a good car, decent mileage, easy maintenance, comfortable ride. But the technology in that car (more than just Sync) made me sell it because it was so frustrating.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 06, 2023 9:00 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:12 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:53 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:

It was a 2014 Fusion. It was a good car, decent mileage, easy maintenance, comfortable ride. But the technology in that car (more than just Sync) made me sell it because it was so frustrating.
Ford has had its share of tech issues. I had a 2010 Taurus for a short period of time… the Sync and AUX Jack (which I believe are all interconnected) was totally dead.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat May 06, 2023 9:27 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
So not being mean, but would you agree or disagree that your folks are the type of people that should pull over to use their phone?

Myself, I'm perfectly capable of driving and texting or talking on my phone with it in my hand. I'm not going to hurt anyone.
BUT I went handfree, or just wait until I get where I'm going. There's a lot of validity in the statement "It can wait".

Think about it. What if somebody pulled out in front of you?
Or even worse some pedestrian just steps out in front of you in the middle of the block in the middle of the night?
Who's tittie is in the wringer if anyone sees a phone up to your ear, even if it's not your fault?

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

kager

Post by kager » Sat May 06, 2023 9:36 am

+1

Unfortunately, too many drivers can't even have another passenger in the car without being distracted. They talk with their hands and feel they need make eye contact with them constantly.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat May 06, 2023 9:55 am

Round Six wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:27 am
ZenithCKLW wrote:
So not being mean, but would you agree or disagree that your folks are the type of people that should pull over to use their phone?
Should? Yes. Will they? Probably not. They aren’t very good at being told what to do, even if the advice is delivered softly and sensibly in good faith.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 06, 2023 1:22 pm

Round Six wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:27 am
ZenithCKLW wrote:

Myself, I'm perfectly capable of driving and texting or talking on my phone with it in my hand. I'm not going to hurt anyone.
BUT I went handfree, or just wait until I get where I'm going. There's a lot of validity in the statement "It can wait".

Think about it. What if somebody pulled out in front of you?
Or even worse some pedestrian just steps out in front of you in the middle of the block in the middle of the night?
Who's tittie is in the wringer if anyone sees a phone up to your ear, even if it's not your fault?
I’m perfectly capable of talking or texting while driving and I’m not gonna hurt anyone… famous last words.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic