Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ottawa County: The Shitshow

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Ottawa County: The Shitshow

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:33 pm

Very indepth feature story in the Washington Post today about Ottawa County. The have an HVAC contractor running the heath department? Evangelical activism at it's worst.

I have gifted the story, follow the link...

Ottawa County offers a glimpse of what happens when one of the building blocks of American democracy is consumed by ideological battles. https://wapo.st/41N8Hkw

Here's my favorite part:
Moss and the board’s choice to run the county health department was Nathaniel Kelly, an HVAC service manager with degrees from an online university and no experience working in public health. Kelly, who did not respond to multiple requests for comment, had regularly pushed discredited covid treatments, such as the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin.

Before Moss could install Kelly, he needed a reason to fire Hambley. Then came a report on an obscure right-wing website that the health department was a sponsor of a local public university’s “Sex Ed Week,” which included an event called “Kinky Karaoke” and information about polyamory.

Hambley’s office issued a press release saying the health department’s role in the student-organized event was limited to testing for sexually transmitted diseases, which it did monthly on the campus. The new county administrator ordered Hambley to retract the statement, claiming it was a lie.

And Moss, appearing on a conservative radio show, suggested Hambley was engaged in a coverup. “There needs to be accountability,” he said. The next day, Hambley filed a lawsuit in state court, accusing the board of micromanaging the department and illegally attempting to dismiss her without cause.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Re: Ottawa County: The Shitshow

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:29 am

Based on how things are going in the state GOP, the entire party has gone apeshit...

Going only by the name "Bryce", this attendee yells “antifa!” as he exits an Ottawa County board meeting after publicly speaking in January. (Evan Cobb for The Washington Post)

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:20 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:33 pm

Moss and the board’s choice to run the county health department was Nathaniel Kelly, an HVAC service manager with degrees from an online university and no experience working in public health.

Kind of reminds me of our current Transportation Secretary.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:57 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:20 am
TC Talks wrote:

Moss and the board’s choice to run the county health department was Nathaniel Kelly, an HVAC service manager with degrees from an online university and no experience working in public health.

And the previous administration's Secretary of Education.

Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:59 am

Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

That isn’t exactly apples to apples…

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:23 am

Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

Are you suggesting Pete knew NOTHING about trains?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:36 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:23 am
Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

That is partially correct - the trains he is familiar with features a different style of caboose.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:50 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:57 am
And the previous administration's Secretary of Education.
And they say conservatives live in the past.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:51 pm

Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

You mean the former McKinsey consultant? Not quite the same as an online certificate holder.

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:52 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:23 am
Bryce wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

I bet you could teach him a thing or two

― Noam Chomsky

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:58 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:50 pm
And conservatives are masters of whataboutisms... What's your point?

Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:02 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:58 pm
Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:50 pm
And conservatives are masters of whataboutisms... What's your point?
Bryce rarely has a point except to convey his bigotry in a variety of colors.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic