Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Graduate Students go on strike

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Graduate Students go on strike

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:55 am

The primary reason they don't pay any tuition is because of the research work they conduct on behalf of the university.

Either the Detroit News or Freep a couple weeks ago ran an extensive article comparing in-kind, wage and fringe compensation of the U-M grad instructors to other schools. Compared to Big Ten peers, U-M stacked up well. I think they were in second place. Compared to non-Big Ten private schools with a strong research reputation, U-M fell far short. Granted, tuition differentials are likely part of the reason for that, although U-M out of state tuition is hardly cheap.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:08 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:55 am
Compared to non-Big Ten private schools with a strong research reputation, U-M fell far short. Granted, tuition differentials are likely part of the reason for that, although U-M out of state tuition is hardly cheap.
UofM has an endowment above 17 Billion. It can afford to be a world class research institution. Do you know how many patents it co-owns?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:35 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:08 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Compared to non-Big Ten private schools with a strong research reputation, U-M fell far short. Granted, tuition differentials are likely part of the reason for that, although U-M out of state tuition is hardly cheap.
UofM has an endowment above 17 Billion. It can afford to be a world class research institution. Do you know how many patents it co-owns?
"Say what you don't know how and why an endowment fund exists without saying you don't know how and why an endowment fund exists."
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:09 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:35 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:08 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
"Say what you don't know how and why an endowment fund exists without saying you don't know how and why an endowment fund exists."
Well, to embarrass you, I have started two endowments in the past decade. Endowments can be structured for many purposes, it's just a fund for donors to target their funds, often after death. Usually, the fund produces income from investments that can be used for defined purposes.

In the two I helped create, one covers long term capital expenses for a homeless shelter, the other is for scholarships.

I can discuss the third I am working on for a music festival if you need more help understanding how they work.

Then there is this little quasi exploitve enterprise UofM has to benefit from student work...

https://news.umich.edu/u-m-innovation-p ... greements/
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic