Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Realist

Re: Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Post by Realist » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:21 pm

Hmmm. I’m in a Union represented office. Why do we have people come and apply for our job openings? Because we are one of the highest paid jobs, along with the schools and hospital, in our county, Yet because of RTW, we’ve had some people (who are despised by co-workers) get the high paying job who then quit paying Union dues. They want their cake and eat it too.

Most of you are also missing a couple of things. With RTW overturned, while you can no longer be a free loader, you can choose to pay an administrative fee and not become a member of the union. That fee is generally about 90% of Union dues (at least at my Local). Additionally, Union dues DO NOT go towards supporting political candidates. That’s what an independent PAC that the Unions set up is for. It’s a completely independent contribution that members make.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:47 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:39 pm
This may be a bit simplistic, but if businesses and owners could be counted on to do what's RIGHT, would there even be a need for a union in the first place?
Exactly. My great uncle was is the Flint sit down strike... They didn't just decide to do that one day.

No one forces people to take a Union job.

Then there is this...

Meat Packing

Henry Ford's Private Police

This year's child labor scandal

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:16 pm

Both my wife and I were born into and grew up in poverty. Indeed the first few years of our life together, we lived in poverty.

I got my first big break when I got a job in a Union shop, with decent wages, benefits and something called a Pension Plan

Today we're retired. We aren't wealthy but we live in modest comfort, thamks to my Ubion job.

I don't regret a nikel of the dues I paid to my Union.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 pm

Really do tell us... Lots of talk, but you seem full of shit.

We are listening...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:13 pm

As far as unions go, I wouldn't want any part of having to strike. It would probably be frowned upon by working during a strike if you worked in a unionized company. Why would I want to lose pay so you can strike for more money and the like?

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:21 pm

Taco wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:13 pm
As far as unions go, I wouldn't want any part of having to strike. It would probably be frowned upon by working during a strike if you worked in a unionized company. Why would I want to lose pay so you can strike for more money and the like?
I've been a member of my Union for almost 50 years. I've never been on strike for even one day. I've walked lots of picket lines, but always someone else's.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:40 pm

keto wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:46 pm
Realist wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:21 pm
Hmmm. I’m in a Union represented office. Why do we have people come and apply for our job openings? Because we are one of the highest paid jobs, along with the schools and hospital, in our county, Yet because of RTW, we’ve had some people (who are despised by co-workers) get the high paying job who then quit paying Union dues. They want their cake and eat it too.

Most of you are also missing a couple of things. With RTW overturned, while you can no longer be a free loader, you can choose to pay an administrative fee and not become a member of the union. That fee is generally about 90% of Union dues (at least at my Local). Additionally, Union dues DO NOT go towards supporting political candidates. That’s what an independent PAC that the Unions set up is for. It’s a completely independent contribution that members make.
There would be no "freeloaders" for the union to bully, threaten, and intimidate if the union allowed them to decide for themselves whether they wanted to be represented or not.

The whole "agency fee" is laughable. And yes, it's "agency fee" not "administrative fee." It's the union Hotel California. "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." Pay a majority of the cost of membership, but lose the right to vote in union "business." That's cute.

Again, freedom of association allows Americans to freely associate and also not to associate with groups they choose. If six out of 10 neighbors on the street want a community pool, they shouldn't be able to force the other four to pay for it. If you want a pool, pay for it yourself.
Simple solution to people who don’t want to pay it - don’t apply and come to work for a Union shop

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 pm

Again, union membership shouldn't be a requirement for employment. Sounds like discrimination to me.

So you are saying it's OK to let people have jobs regardless of their sex, race, etc? But its NOT OK for somebody who doesn't wanna join a union to work there?
Simple solution to people who don’t want to pay it - don’t apply and come to work for a Union shop

For it is a human number

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:30 pm

Taco wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 pm
Again, union membership shouldn't be a requirement for employment. Sounds like discrimination to me.

So you are saying it's OK to let people have jobs regardless of their sex, race, etc? But its NOT OK for somebody who doesn't wanna join a union to work there?

It's a legally binding contract between the Union and the Company, agreed to by both parties.

Typical language

"The Company recognizes the Union as the sole and exclusive bargaining agent for all of its employees, save and except foremen, those above the rank of forman, office, technical clerical and sales staff"

"An employee, following a probationary period of ( ? ) working days shall become a member of the Union and shall accrue seniority from that date forward."

"The Company shall deduct Union dues weekly, as directed by the Union"

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:38 am

keto wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:50 pm
Realist wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:40 pm
keto wrote:
Realist wrote:

There would be no "freeloaders" for the union to bully, threaten, and intimidate if the union allowed them to decide for themselves whether they wanted to be represented or not.

The whole "agency fee" is laughable. And yes, it's "agency fee" not "administrative fee." It's the union Hotel California. "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." Pay a majority of the cost of membership, but lose the right to vote in union "business." That's cute.

Again, freedom of association allows Americans to freely associate and also not to associate with groups they choose. If six out of 10 neighbors on the street want a community pool, they shouldn't be able to force the other four to pay for it. If you want a pool, pay for it yourself.
That's just like saying to women, "If you don't want to be sexually harassed, work somewhere else!"

People have rights. Respect them.
This is more like applying at Hooters or Twin Peaks then complaining that you have to wear revealing tank tops or shorts. You knew it when you walked into the place to apply. Get real

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:32 am

A uniform you are required to wear is completely different than taking additional money from your pay check without your consent and forcing you to join an organization you are against and or want no part of.
This is more like applying at Hooters or Twin Peaks then complaining that you have to wear revealing tank tops or shorts. You knew it when you walked into the place to apply. Get real

For it is a human number

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:38 am

Taco wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:32 am
A uniform you are required to wear is completely different than taking additional money from your pay check without your consent and forcing you to join an organization you are against and or want no part of.
Then don’t work there.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am

keto wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:49 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 pm
Really do tell us... Lots of talk, but you seem full of shit.

We are listening...
Glad you asked.

Here are some union thugs ripping apart the private property of others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PjVILHNa4

Here's where they destroyed an African American man's livelihood: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mi-u ... ht-to-work

Oh, and they called him "Uncle Tom" and other racist epithets.

Here's the Dearborn police union president beating up his wife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7LzBCGFLE

More pushing and shoving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHkEBMXJQmQ

Then there are the union thugs who stabbed someone in the neck, threw hot coffee on non-union workers, poured sand in gas tanks, and threatened sexual assault against one of the company reps. But I'm sure it was "mostly peaceful," right? https://abcnews.go.com/Business/nasty-u ... d=14572790

You asked for it.
So these are your personal stories?

I asked about your personal union encounters, as you said you have had...

I think you are full of shit.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:15 am

keto wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:11 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:38 am
Taco wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:32 am
Then don’t work there.
Or, better yet, don’t force people to do what they don’t want to.
Or best yet… avoid the problem in the first place. Nobody held a gun to their head and told them to work there. But it’s a condition of employment.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:15 am

keto wrote:
Realist wrote:

Like "taxation without representation", albeit on a smaller scale?

Didn't we have a war over that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic