Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Taco

Re: Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Post by Taco » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:20 pm

Unions were a thing back in the day. I don't feel they are really necessary. They'll hold you back on doing what the company needs to do... not to mention a smaller pay check.
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:47 pm
Jesus. I can remember when being a part of the union was a point of pride.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:46 pm

keto wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:07 pm
Oh, and the whole “prevailing wage” issue is a hoax. It’s not market value when the price of labor is artificially high.

Prepare to overpay more for publicly-funded projects.
Can you imagine having work done at your house and going with the highest estimate? These people are insane.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:27 pm

Round Six wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:47 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:30 am
In any workplace, the majority of workers can vote to decertify their Union.
Can't really blame them for wanting to sit in an air conditioned office at the hall, instead of breaking out in a sweat in the plant.
I sweated my ass off in the plant for over twenty years. For twelve of those years I was Local Union President. I didn't have an air conditioned office. I had a desk and a filing cabinet in a dark, dirty, noisy corner of the plant. I did my Union business for about an hour each day. The rest of the day I worked in the plant alongside everyone else.

Sure, I screwed up a few times. But whenever I got into trouble, I took what was coming to me. I never asked the Union to bail me out.
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:47 pm
Jesus. I can remember when being a part of the union was a point of pride.
It still is with me.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:47 pm

TT, how do you reconcile helping lowlifes if you wouldn't ask for help yourself?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:07 pm

keto wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:39 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:07 am
Fortunately, you have plenty of jobs without collective bargaining protections you can take should the burden be too great.
The “just work somewhere else” argument fails to recognize the immorality of forcing someone to do something they don’t want to do.

If you worked in a shop of 10 people, and six workers voted to become Muslim, and you didn’t, you would resist being forced to do daily prayers and contributing financially to the Muslim cause, but that’s what unions do.
Nothing fits everyone. It sounds like you are capable of making things work out. Do you think this is true for everyone?

I look at the South and how compliant workers are. They have the same cost of living but earn 7% less. As long as they are happy.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:01 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:47 pm
TT, how do you reconcile helping lowlifes if you wouldn't ask for help yourself?
Because I know when I don’t have a leg to stand on. These guys all think they have a strong case and they’ll take you to the Labour Board if you don’t fight it for them..

But you can’t assume they’re all lowlifes,

There was the Registered Nurse who was fired for insubordination after she hung up the phone on the Nursing Home administrator because she had to attend to a resident who was dying.

There was the guy who was legally blind but was denied disability insurance

There was the woman who was denied three days bereavement leave because she hadn’t attended the funeral of her mother in the Soviet Union. She only learned of the death about three months after the fact. She would have been immediately arrested if she ever set foot in the Soviet Union. She only wanted three days off to mourn the passing of her mother.

We didn’t win that one but, the next time we bargained, we got new language in the collective agreement to cover situations like that.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:53 pm

I hope Right To Work becomes law again someday if it ever goes on the ballot I'm busting the unions no one should be forced to become a union member, the union bosses just want to enrich themselves they're no better than the CEOs of big business. Unions were good 50 to 60 years ago but now they don't care for the little person and why is it that if you fight the union and win you only get $1 dollar? To that is f*cked up if you ask me you should win more than a dollar, why not a lot don't fight the union a dollar isn't worth it.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:08 am

MasterB wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:53 pm
the union bosses just want to enrich themselves
My Union has 750,000 bosses. We're the members who go to work every day, do our jobs, pay our dues and, every four years, elect our leaders. We're the real Union bosses. And, yes, we do enrich ourselves by joining our Union.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:01 am

keto wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:04 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:44 pm
Taco wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 042340007/

Even as a Whitmer supporter, I feel it is a mistake not letting workers decide for themselves if they want to join a union or not. Do we really need unions in the 21st Century?
Workers do have the right to choose. It takes a vote by the majority of the workers to cerify a Union.
Name one living UAW worker at any of the GM, Ford, or Fiat Chrysler plants that voted to certify the union. You’ll find exactly zero.

They had no choice in the matter. That was decided decades ago and another vote has never been held.
They vote on their contract… this means they have direct say on their working conditions. They also can petition and vote to decertify if they choose.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 am

Would probably get retaliation for even attempting to petition to decertify and making things uncomfortable for you and those in favor of decertification.

For it is a human number

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:33 am

Taco wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 am
Would probably get retaliation for even attempting to petition to decertify and making things uncomfortable for you and those in favor of decertification.
Decertification as well as certification are not uncommon. My company was bitterly divided around 15 years ago when decertification won by 1 lousy vote.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:54 am

keto wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:47 am
Rate This wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:33 am
Taco wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:48 am
Decertification as well as certification are not uncommon. My company was bitterly divided around 15 years ago when decertification won by 1 lousy vote.
The “all or nothing” forced approach is immoral.

Each person should be able to make their own decision whether they want to join and pay a union or not.

Let’s say my neighbor wants to purchase a community dirt bike. He holds an election of whether the 10 people on the street want this dirt bike. If six say “yes,” I’m stuck paying for “my share” of the dirt bike I didn’t want and will never ride.
Do you union bust for a living? Seriously, have you ever been in a union? I have and it was great protection and I felt it made the company a better organization for customers.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:39 pm

This may be a bit simplistic, but if businesses and owners could be counted on to do what's RIGHT, would there even be a need for a union in the first place?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:00 pm

I want my pay check going towards things I want and need, not to some union I want no part of. After 401k and health insurance and HSA already being deducted from my pay, why would I wanna another deduction of union dues?

For it is a human number

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:29 pm

keto wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:49 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:39 pm
This may be a bit simplistic, but if businesses and owners could be counted on to do what's RIGHT, would there even be a need for a union in the first place?
Or, if workers realized their own worth and negotiated their own compensation without paying someone else to do it. You know, like 90% of American workers not in a union.
And it doesn't really even take negotiation. If you're unhappy and think you deserve more, then shop your skills around. Either you ARE worth it and someone will snap you up, or it'll be a reality check that maybe you're NOT worth any more than you're getting already! THEN, the decision is up to YOU.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic