Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Taco

Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Post by Taco » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 042340007/

Even as a Whitmer supporter, I feel it is a mistake not letting workers decide for themselves if they want to join a union or not. Do we really need unions in the 21st Century?

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Taco

Re: Whitmer repeals right-to-work, reinstates prevailing wage in Michigan

Post by Taco » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:40 pm

I would also add that I don't think being forced into a union should be a condition of employment.

For it is a human number

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:21 pm

So much for campaigning on freedom...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:29 pm

Taco, you probably don't work for a h-uge employer who uses very sophisticated tactics to mislead you about pay, hours or benefits.

Trust me that these places exist and the only people who want bust unions are the types who are willing to let their fellow man suffer.

Looking into the meat processing industry some time.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Taco wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:03 pm
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 042340007/

Even as a Whitmer supporter, I feel it is a mistake not letting workers decide for themselves if they want to join a union or not. Do we really need unions in the 21st Century?
Workers do have the right to choose. It takes a vote by the majority of the workers to cerify a Union.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:46 pm

Not every job needs a union. I worked at Kroger bagging groceries in high school, which I had to pay dues.

Looking back I'd work somewhere else as I wasn't worried about my future working part time at 17 years old

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:48 pm

SD45 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:46 pm
Not every job needs a union. I worked at Kroger bagging groceries in high school, which I had to pay dues.

Looking back I'd work somewhere else as I wasn't worried about my future working part time at 17 years old
It still paid better than any other high school job... why do you think that is?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:20 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:48 pm
SD45 wrote:

It still paid better than any other high school job... why do you think that is?
I'll wager you it didn't. Kroger baggers don't make much at all. There was a time when any fast food take home pay was more than Kroger take home pay once the dues came out.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:31 pm

Round Six wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:20 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:48 pm
SD45 wrote:

I'll wager you it didn't. Kroger baggers don't make much at all. There was a time when any fast food take home pay was more than Kroger take home pay once the dues came out.
Thats the point I was trying to make. This was from 2000-2002. I wasn't making any large amount of money and had limited hours with your work permit. I worked 12 hours during the week, and eight hours on Saturday.

I could have worked fast food or landscaped and not had the UFCW taking dues. I left Kroger when I started my first semester of college. I found something with more hours that scheduled my days off around my classes.
Last edited by SD45 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:07 am

Fortunately, you have plenty of jobs without collective bargaining protections you can take should the burden be too great.

― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:16 am

Wonder how much more this is going to cost for all the roadwork going on and that planned (and needed) in the coming years??

Or are we ALREADY paying those unnecessary premiums to get the work done??

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:30 am

keto wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:04 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Workers do have the right to choose. It takes a vote by the majority of the workers to cerify a Union.
Name one living UAW worker at any of the GM, Ford, or Fiat Chrysler plants that voted to certify the union. You’ll find exactly zero.

They had no choice in the matter. That was decided decades ago and another vote has never been held.
In any workplace, the majority of workers can vote to decertify their Union.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:09 am

This whole thing really bothers me. Workers should NOT be forced into joining a union. I think at the end up the day the businesses who require membership are just shooting themselves in the foot. It could deter a lot of good talent that doesn't want anything to do with unions. In today's economic climate is that what they really want?

For it is a human number

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:47 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:30 am
In any workplace, the majority of workers can vote to decertify their Union.
I can see this starting to happen in Michigan.
Folks start looking at what their paycheck would be like without the dues coming out.

I'm sorry Turkey. And I know you have responded to this sort of criticism before.
But until the unions join with the companies for some sort of "Three strikes you're out", union workers will always be disgruntled with their own union. We've both seen it. Guy gets another 5 day for coming into work drunk for the 8th time. Or is late once a week, and has gotten more letters than Santa Claus around Christmas. Yet he keeps getting his job back.

(For those who have never worked in a steel mill, a 5 day letter means you don't come back until there is a hearing at Labor Relations. You're not coming back in 5 days, it's just what they call it).

Meanwhile the people who don't show up drunk and come to work every day on time think to themselves:
"Why am I paying dues so that clowns like this keep getting their job back?"
Those are the people who are going to vote to decertify. Yes or no?

And I know you'll come back with some "we are obligated" or something like that. It's your job to say that.

But how many people working full time at the hall would be back in the mill if they're wasn't a backlog of 5 day letters to deal with? Could defending the habitual screw up to the very end actually be job security for elected union officials? Can't really blame them for wanting to sit in an air conditioned office at the hall, instead of breaking out in a sweat in the plant.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:47 pm

Jesus. I can remember when being a part of the union was a point of pride.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic