Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Segregationists In Allendale

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Segregationists In Allendale

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:12 am

Much is made about the importance of diversity on college campuses. According to admissions departments, it is vital in providing a well rounded education. Makes people part of something bigger, it makes you more employable and a better person.

Well, except when it comes to graduation celebrations...
Grand Valley State University is delivering pomp and circumstance this spring in the form of segregated graduation ceremonies. According to the school’s website, separate graduation ceremonies will be held for students of Asian, Black, Latino, and Native American descent. There is also a separate graduation called “Lavender” for LGBTQ students.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Robert Faygo

Re: Segregationists In Allendale

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:45 am

What that quoted clip leaves out is that those ceremonies are in addition to the traditional commencement ceremonies organized by college:
https://www.gvsu.edu/commencement/

Here's the info on the Lavender graduation:
https://www.gvsu.edu/lgbtrc/lavender-gr ... 2023-4.htm

Wellllll... la de frickin da

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 am

These are all social gatherings by established student life groups. The white supremacists are too stupid to actually attend college, but they will have a "graduation" in the lawn maintenance shed. I hear Bryce if delivering their commencement speech on a zero turn.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:26 am

Robert Faygo wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:45 am
What that quoted clip leaves out is that those ceremonies are in addition to the traditional commencement ceremonies organized by college:
https://www.gvsu.edu/commencement/
If inclusiveness and diversity is so important, why do these groups feel the need to have additional and separated ceremonies that exclude others?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:57 am

Bryce wrote: If inclusiveness and diversity is so important, why do these groups feel the need to have additional and separated ceremonies that exclude others?
Beyond because they want to, you’d have to ask them.

The difference is one of the easiest things to understand, IMO. Inclusiveness and diversity applies to the university and opportunities as a whole. That people with similar interests / backgrounds want to also celebrate amongst themselves has always been (and should always be) a thing too.

Sorry. Nothing to see here.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:49 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:57 am
Bryce wrote: If inclusiveness and diversity is so important, why do these groups feel the need to have additional and separated ceremonies that exclude others?
Beyond because they want to, you’d have to ask them.

The difference is one of the easiest things to understand, IMO. Inclusiveness and diversity applies to the university and opportunities as a whole. That people with similar interests / backgrounds want to also celebrate amongst themselves has always been (and should always be) a thing too.

Sorry. Nothing to see here.
I got it. Segregating because of similar interests and backgrounds is ok, unless you're a straight, white, male. Ask the boys at Augusta National about that.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:58 pm

Maybe because they need a safe space where they won't be harassed by people like Bryce who want to erase them from the face of the earth.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:15 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:58 pm
Maybe because they need a safe space where they won't be harassed by people like Bryce who want to erase them from the face of the earth.
I would challenge you to provide back up that I want to erase ANYONE from the face of the earth. Or issue an apology

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:04 pm

Again, not hard to understand.

Are there double standards in play? Yep. Are there very good historical reasons behind the current double standards? Yep.

As a white guy, do I feel threatened or triggered by certain student groups at GVSU celebrating themselves with their own graduation celebrations? Nope.

As a white guy, am I puzzled by why you (or whoever it was you quoted) tried to manipulate these celebrations into something controversial? Definitely.

Maybe someday being part of a white guy club won't be viewed as threat by others. We aren't there yet. Ask the guys at Augusta National.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:51 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:04 pm
Again, not hard to understand.

Are there double standards in play? Yep. Are there very good historical reasons behind the current double standards? Yep.
I'm glad you admit to the double standards at play. I would ask that you point out the historical reasons and how they apply to 2023.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:07 pm

We both know very well the history in play. I won't insult your intelligence by rehashing it here.

How it applies to 2023? Well, the judge and jury on that seems to be everyone else but white guys. Their message continues to be pretty clear - there is still a lot of work to be done.

As an example, I offer exhibit A- your initial post that started this thread. Why did you exclude the fact that GVSU still holds its traditional commencements?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:20 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:07 pm
We both know very well the history in play. I won't insult your intelligence by rehashing it here.

How it applies to 2023? Well, the judge and jury on that seems to be everyone else but white guys. Their message continues to be pretty clear - there is still a lot of work to be done.

As an example, I offer exhibit A- your initial post that started this thread. Why did you exclude the fact that GVSU still holds its traditional commencements?
Because that's not the issue here. The issue in my mind is why, the groups listed feel the need to hold commencements that exclude the rest of the student body? Those groups fight for inclusiveness, yet feel the need to hold celebrations that exclude others. Seems to me they want it both ways.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:33 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:20 pm
Because that's not the issue here. The issue in my mind is why, the groups listed feel the need to hold commencements that exclude the rest of the student body? Those groups fight for inclusiveness, yet feel the need to hold celebrations that exclude others. Seems to me they want it both ways.
Gotcha. I think we're reading things differently.

My take is that the official university ceremonies organized in the traditional manner, by college, are the actual commencement exercises where degrees are conferred. Those, rightly so, include all the students.

The other graduations are purely window dressing and unofficial in nature. Instead of being organized by the actual academic side of GVSU, these are GVSU recognized student-based groups just doing their thing.

I would agree with your stance if the student-based groups were the only and official way to attend commencement. But they are clearly not that. So - c'est la vie. So what if they want it both ways.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:10 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:33 pm

I would agree with your stance if the student-based groups were the only and official way to attend commencement. But they are clearly not that. So - c'est la vie. So what if they want it both ways.
Ah, but if the segregated "celebrations" are condoned by the university, and it would seem they are by the presence on the university website, and facilities are being provided on campus which are funded by taxpayer dollars, that makes it an issue.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:25 pm

Not so much.

I guarantee that GVSU, like all of our public universities and colleges, have plenty of CYA policies in place to protect themselves and their student orgs.

https://www.gvsu.edu/policies/policy.ht ... 372FB3DA26

Again, the activities in question are not the official commencement ceremonies. Can you at least acknowledge that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic