Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Not allowed to carry at MSU

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Round Six

Not allowed to carry at MSU

Post by Round Six » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:08 am

I may of mentioned before. Every Thursday morning we have a safety meeting. While waiting for the bosses to put on the show, we sit around and expound on the issues of the day. Someone threw this out for discussion:

A lawsuit arguing that if the school campus hadn't of been a gun free zone, someone may of disabled the shooter.

Not sure if it's a winnable argument. But I've been sitting here thinking about it while I babysit contractors.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

km1125

Re: Not allowed to carry at MSU

Post by km1125 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 am

Was there actually a lawsuit filed, or was someone speculating "if there was"?

But it's true in many, many situations. And not just from the perspective that there might be a "good guy with a gun" to be able to respond, it's eliminating the soft targets that perps consider "easy" and "defenseless". Not knowing that there even MIGHT be somebody who can stop them in an instant would likely eliminate many of those locations from even being considered.

Would it eliminate them all? Probably not. But it definitely would make a big dent in the problem.

And, we should really consider..... "if it just saved one kid" it would be worth it!!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:36 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 am
Was there actually a lawsuit filed, or was someone speculating "if there was"?

But it's true in many, many situations. And not just from the perspective that there might be a "good guy with a gun" to be able to respond, it's eliminating the soft targets that perps consider "easy" and "defenseless". Not knowing that there even MIGHT be somebody who can stop them in an instant would likely eliminate many of those locations from even being considered.

Would it eliminate them all? Probably not. But it definitely would make a big dent in the problem.

And, we should really consider..... "if it just saved one kid" it would be worth it!!!
Show us proof of your idea. It's not how it's been working. This is a big lie that gun nuts use to refute sensible gun laws.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:27 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:36 am

Show us proof of your idea. It's not how it's been working. This is a big lie that gun nuts use to refute sensible gun laws.
Not sure he can prove it but it doesn't mean it's a lie. And to say thats "not how it's been working" is in itself a bit of a lie since its not exactly how its been tried.
You can't say with certainty it doesn't work because very few people are armed in public and in the case of these events nobody is asking after the fact who had a gun and didn't use it.
I have a handgun at home. I have yet to get a CPL and likely won't ever do so. But if I was ever in a store where an active shooter began his carnage I would feel less helpless if I had my gun.
Not that I would actively go look for him, I'm not that brave, but if he found my hiding place I'd like my chances a lot more with my gun than without.
I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:25 pm

I was looking up some data and to put a little perspective on things.
The United States has more guns per capita than any other country by a long shot.
Yet our intentional homicide rate is about 60th worldwide.
I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:00 pm

TC Talks wrote:
I think there's another thread you're on where another member posted that data (and you ignored it there too).
craig11152 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:25 pm
The United States has more guns per capita than any other country by a long shot.
And the homicide rate would drop through the floor in comparison if you just eliminated a couple of our largest cities where the criminals run amok.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:46 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 am
Was there actually a lawsuit filed, or was someone speculating "if there was?"
No I'm not aware of any lawsuit. Just sitting around laughing and talking before our meeting throwing out thoughts and hot air.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:52 pm

Round Six wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:08 am
I may of mentioned before. Every Thursday morning we have a safety meeting. While waiting for the bosses to put on the show, we sit around and expound on the issues of the day. Someone threw this out for discussion:

A lawsuit arguing that if the school campus hadn't of been a gun free zone, someone may of disabled the shooter.

Not sure if it's a winnable argument. But I've been sitting here thinking about it while I babysit contractors.
I guess it's just me, but why do you, and many that think like you do, believe that students, if they are allowed to carry, can suddenly turn into a John McClane, whip out their Glock or whatever piece they are carrying, start yelling "Yippe Ki Yay Mother F*cker" and start shooting at said perp?
Not one of those unfortunate souls who lost their lives, along with the injured, were thinking ....
"Damn I am not armed I hope no one comes into the Hall/Student Union tonight blasting away like Ethan Crumbley"...
Just my opinions and idle thoughts....
RIP to those three souls who's lives were cut short on account of an a**hole who was mad at the world....

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:02 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:52 pm
... I guess it's just me, but why do you, and many that think like you do, believe that students, if they are allowed to carry, can suddenly turn into a John McClane, whip out their Glock or whatever piece they are carrying, start yelling "Yippe Ki Yay Mother F*cker" and start shooting at said perp? ....
I'm thinking, like you, there would be few college students interested in carrying a gun. But have we not seen interviews from teachers and staff that seen the shooting?

I don't believe it's credible to say that none of the staff would be interested in carrying if they were allowed.

Like I said in the post that started this thread, just back and forth banter.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:22 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:25 pm
Our homicide rate is the worse of all first world nations. It's not tough to be nations that have genocide.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:24 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:00 pm
TC Talks wrote:
I think there's another thread you're on where another member posted that data (and you ignored it there too).
BMW didn't "prove" anything except how low the incidents of citizen defense.
― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:02 pm

I'll tell you one thing, in an active shooter situation, the best thing to have in all the chaos is more people with guns making split-second decisions. That will definitely solve the problem.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:33 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:02 pm
I'll tell you one thing, in an active shooter situation, the best thing to have in all the chaos is more people with guns making split-second decisions. That will definitely solve the problem.
A gun under every pillow and a chicken in every pot!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:51 am

It's not about "giving people more guns"... it's about preventing them all from just being defenseless targets while advertising that fact (via a declared "gun-free" zone) to anyone who might want to cause harm.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:32 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:02 pm
You are absolutely correct. Case-in-point:

(I would like TC Talks, RT's, and your opinion on this use of self-defense).

Perfect shot and countless live saved. All caught right on video.
Last edited by bmw on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic