Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer announces Tax Cut

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Whitmer announces Tax Cut

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:12 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:20 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 pm
I'm just checking in to who is going to have a problem with this plan.
How about these tax cuts be implemented, immediately??
Not phased in over a few years....
not on hold while the legislature debates figures and amounts..
Do it, NOW, not later, right now...
Proper planning beats "do it now" every time.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:14 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:12 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Proper planning beats "do it now" every time.
I'm leaning towards agreeing with Lido on this. But not for the reason he gives. Waiting to implement could equate to money burning in their pockets. And they can't help spending it on something else.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:31 am

In the big scheme I'm not sure how cutting taxes AND funding universal preschool would work.
Or is she leaving the funding to local schools.

I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:59 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:01 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 pm
I'm just checking in to who is going to have a problem with this plan.
How about we wait till your dead...
Death Deacon?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:54 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:31 am
In the big scheme I'm not sure how cutting taxes AND funding universal preschool would work.
Or is she leaving the funding to local schools.
She's creating a structural deficit for a future Republican governor to fix.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:02 am

The pension tax repeal is an unnecessary handout and out of line with most other states.
I was hoping for a broad based tax rate reduction for all seniors, not just those who collect income from a pension.

Some articles I read suggested only public employee pension income would receive the tax break, whereas other articles simply mentioned "pension income." Anyone know for sure?

I'd leave the pension tax rates alone and instead propose either (i) a primary homestead property tax break for seniors or (ii) an across the board income tax rate reduction for seniors.

Universal pre-school funding is a waste of money:

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/10/10794060 ... ndergarten
https://www.edweek.org/leadership/are-t ... ed/2018/07

Funding should be focused on special needs children.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:13 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:02 am
The pension tax repeal is an unnecessary handout and out of line with most other states.
I was hoping for a broad based tax rate reduction for all seniors, not just those who collect income from a pension.

Some articles I read suggested only public employee pension income would receive the tax break, whereas other articles simply mentioned "pension income." Anyone know for sure?

I'd leave the pension tax rates alone and instead propose either (i) a primary homestead property tax break for seniors or (ii) an across the board income tax rate reduction for seniors.
I seem to recall that there was a tax break that explicitly excluded pension income a few years back.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:52 am

To what are you referring?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:52 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:02 am

Universal pre-school funding is a waste of money:

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/10/10794060 ... ndergarten
https://www.edweek.org/leadership/are-t ... ed/2018/07

Funding should be focused on special needs children.
I read it was only on municipal pensions. https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-leg ... 55797.html

I like your plan (i).

The preschool is plan is probably a waste of money, and there is shortage of teachers, so it's probably going to happen anytime soon for those who really could use it.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:27 am

From my limited understanding, a pension has no or limited employee contribution and the monthly payout stays the same until you die. That of course doesn't address underfunding a pension.
A 401K plan is mostly funded by employee contribution with some limited level of employer contribution. There is a limited amount to collect from so in theory it could go dry before you die.
Is that more or less accurate? Simplistic as it is?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:31 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:52 am
The preschool is plan is probably a waste of money, and there is shortage of teachers, so it's probably going to happen anytime soon for those who really could use it.
Also a shortage of bus drivers and bus monitors and probably busses too.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:07 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:31 am
audiophile wrote:
Does it get more complicated to put "pre-K" kids on the busses? I know there're not much younger than kindergarten kids, but are there even issues with kindergarten kids on the same busses with older kids? Would pre-K make any of those issues worse? (I honestly don't know about any of these, just wondering)

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:46 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:07 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:31 am
audiophile wrote:
Does it get more complicated to put "pre-K" kids on the busses? I know there're not much younger than kindergarten kids, but are there even issues with kindergarten kids on the same busses with older kids? Would pre-K make any of those issues worse? (I honestly don't know about any of these, just wondering)
I know in Ann Arbor preschoolers ride in separate busses and are all belted and harnessed in to seats. A max of I think 20 kids per monitor. So 21 kids would need two monitors. Kids are individually signed on to a bus and off a bus. At a bus stop parents have to sign a paper for the kid. Drivers keep notebooks of this paperwork that gets turned in at the end of the week and picked back up on Monday to start over. It is extremely regulated unlike K-12 (and young 5's) Gen Ed. Pretty much the only rule there is a kindergarten or young 5 has to be released to an adult at a bus stop, unless they walk home with an older sibling like 3rd grade or or above.
I think a lot of that may be mandated at a higher level .
Last edited by craig11152 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:59 pm

To add to the above preschoolers ride on their own bus routes.
Elementary kids ride on their own bus routes.
High school and middle school will mix together on some routes.
On my middle school route in the afternoon 4 Gen Ed busses start at the middle school.
Six Gen Ed busses start at a high school and already have kids on board when they get to the middle school.

That is what Ann Arbor does. Can't speak to other districts except maybe Grosse Pointe where they don't bus anybody except Special Ed.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:16 am

I like your plan (i).
Thanks.

There are states where such laws currently exist relative to property taxes. In the following states, seniors pay no property taxes on their homestead (a few on this list may surprise you):

Alabama
Alaska
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Mississippi
New Hampshire
New York
South Carolina
South Dakota
Texas
Washington

I'm not willing to go *that* far in terms of tax relief for seniors, but I think the first $150,000 to $200,000 of normally taxable value for primary residences owned by seniors should be tax exempt.

Another way to accomplish this would be to retool the homestead property tax credit that can be claimed by Michigan income tax return filers to extend much more generous benefits to seniors.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic