Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Legislature 2023

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Michigan Legislature 2023

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:04 am

With new leadership on both sides of the rotunda in Lansing, it's a Christmas miracle how the Republicans have seen the light and want to "Work across the isle". Then there this tool, a SW Michigan farmer (surprise!) Who managed to deliver this quote:

Michigan state Sen. Aric Nesbitt will find himself in a new position next year: the minority.

Nesbitt, R-Lawton, has spent a decade in Lansing as part of Republican majorities in the House and Senate. But now, after Democrats flipped both chambers in last month’s general election, fellow Republicans chose Nesbitt to lead their caucus as the party’s first Senate minority leader in 40 years.
“I’m looking forward to working across the aisle when we can, and when (Democrats) do some far-left-wing partisan activities, fighting to stop that,” Nesbitt told Bridge Michigan. “It’s kind of in their hands.”
I say we tell the former leaders (who seem to like child raping) from the Republican party to pound sand while the Democrats try to restore things to make Michigan a functioning state.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Re: Michigan Legislature 2023

Post by bmw » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:12 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:04 am
...while the Democrats try to restore things to make Michigan a functioning state.
Nice to see you acknowledge that we were a dysfunctional state under Whitmer's past 4 years of leadership.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:36 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:12 pm
TC Talks wrote:
...while the Democrats try to restore things to make Michigan a functioning state.
Nice to see you acknowledge that we were a dysfunctional state under Whitmer's past 4 years of leadership.
I think even you know he means the lousy Republican legislature we were gerrymandered into.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:55 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:12 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Anything that is wrong with our state is due to the lack of action by the Republican Party except for lining the pockets of their friends. Flint water, the roads, the education system, you name it they're responsible for it.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:36 pm

Let's be fair, TCT. These roads have been a political football AND a running joke around the country for decades. What really needs to be done is going to take more than a single four-year term. Look at Mound Road, in Macomb County. One of my first memories in the late 80s is of Mound beinrlg torn up. It's like a midterm election; every two years, it'll be torn up again. That isn't a R or D problem. It's a running gag.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:15 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:36 pm
Let's be fair, TCT. These roads have been a political football AND a running joke around the country for decades. What really needs to be done is going to take more than a single four-year term. Look at Mound Road, in Macomb County. One of my first memories in the late 80s is of Mound beinrlg torn up. It's like a midterm election; every two years, it'll be torn up again. That isn't a R or D problem. It's a running gag.
Let's see how it goes now that the Republicans are out for the first time in 40 years. If the Dems can't get roads going now, then we can be critical.

The funding problems all started with John Engler. That fat umpa lumpa tried to turn us into a poverty state on may fronts. Mental health failures these days? Engler, and roads, education, and just about everything else. Other states prospered while we moved towards a third world state competing with the likes of Mississippi.

Neither you nor BMW we're around for his garbage. I had to cover him as a journalist.

― Noam Chomsky

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:23 pm

It's funny, because Engler being governor are some of my earliest memories. With the archives of newspapers and video, it isn't hard to find.

This past year, I was kicking myself for not getting into the road cone business. For a few weeks, I couldn't even get out of my neighborhood without lane closures or blocks or shifts or full shutdowns. 96. 23. 696. 275. Every Goddamn where I went. I'd like to just get it all done already.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:08 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:15 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Let's see how it goes now that the Republicans are out for the first time in 40 years. If the Dems can't get roads going now, then we can be critical.

The funding problems all started with John Engler. That fat umpa lumpa tried to turn us into a poverty state on may fronts. Mental health failures these days? Engler, and roads, education, and just about everything else. Other states prospered while we moved towards a third world state competing with the likes of Mississippi.

Neither you nor BMW we're around for his garbage. I had to cover him as a journalist.
Get the roads going?!?!?! Are you insane? They are going full tilt and then some with construction.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:39 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:08 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

Get the roads going?!?!?! Are you insane? They are going full tilt and then some with construction.
I'm not in Detroit very often.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:46 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:39 am
Rate This wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

I would assume there are projects up north too. But the roads outside of the metro and maybe flint, Saginaw and Lansing are actually pretty good generally.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:02 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:46 am
TC Talks wrote:
Rate This wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

I would assume there are projects up north too. But the roads outside of the metro and maybe flint, Saginaw and Lansing are actually pretty good generally.
So Whitmer is getting it done?

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:45 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:02 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:46 am
TC Talks wrote:
Rate This wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

So Whitmer is getting it done?
Actually her and a legislature that worked together across party lines to pass a massive infrastructure bill plus the federal one too.. it’s amazing what a little teamwork gets done.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:48 am

With the promise of ARPA funds

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:51 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:48 am
With the promise of ARPA funds
Some of that. But most of it is a billion or more from the state and a piece of that trillion from the feds. Both were stand alone bills.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:20 am

Local and county roads remain in crappy shape in many areas across the state. State & federal roads are in decent shape. Federal dollars plus bond proceeds helped state & federal roads but not nearly enough of that money made it into the hands of counties and municipalities.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic