Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Coleman Young Statue in the U.S. Capitol

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bobbert

Coleman Young Statue in the U.S. Capitol

Post by Bobbert » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:21 pm

I can understand naming a bunch of things after Coleman Young in Detroit. But having him represent the state of Michigan in the U.S. Capitol boggles my mind. It's fair to say that he was a controversial figure, and that there was much decline in Detroit while he was in office (drop in population, rise in crime). How did this come to be, especially with a Republican legislature?

TC Talks

Re: Coleman Young Statue in the U.S. Capitol

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:39 pm

Decorated Tuskegee Airmen, one of the longest serving Mayor's in the US, a favor to Dingel. I take it he didn't share your values or skin color?

I could keep speculating.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:03 pm

Aloha, motherfuckers!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:49 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:39 pm
Decorated Tuskegee Airmen, one of the longest serving Mayor's in the US, a favor to Dingel. I take it he didn't share your values or skin color?

Got to be a favor to dingell… I’m pretty liberal but Coleman and for that matter his alter ego L. Brooks Patterson did no favors for this area.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:40 pm

Maybe someone got a good deal on South African Krugerrands.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:18 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:49 pm
TC Talks wrote:

Got to be a favor to dingell… I’m pretty liberal but Coleman and for that matter his alter ego L. Brooks Patterson did no favors for this area.
If you are suggesting that White flight racism is equal to the poverty Coleman Young had to navigate in Detroit, I'd suggest you take a more thoughtful look at why the metro area remains the butt of jokes around the world. Name me a leader who could have balanced things like he did.

Young had an aquarium drunk taking pot shots at him every night on TV until 7 had to finally fire him. Name me another mayor attacked like that. Young had to fight this on behalf of Detroit's citizens every day of his career.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:42 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:18 am
Rate This wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

If you are suggesting that White flight racism is equal to the poverty Coleman Young had to navigate in Detroit, I'd suggest you take a more thoughtful look at why the metro area remains the butt of jokes around the world. Name me a leader who could have balanced things like he did.

Young had an aquarium drunk taking pot shots at him every night on TV until 7 had to finally fire him. Name me another mayor attacked like that. Young had to fight this on behalf of Detroit's citizens every day of his career.
He and Brooks got into spats in the media and race baited each other. The occurrence of this earns both a one way trip to hell.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am

Rate This wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

Agreed. Both were malignant narcissists.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:33 am

I had to Google what y'all are talking about.

Each state in our great nation is permitted to have two statues in the National Statuary Hall Collection inside the U.S. Capital Building. States are permitted to replace existing statues with someone else they deem notable and worthy.

Arkansas is the home of the late U. M. Rose, a scholar and statesman. Judge Rose was one of the great lawyers not only of Arkansas but of the United States. Cultured, refined and modest, with a titanic intellect, he was a general favorite wherever he was known. President Theodore Roosevelt called him "the brainiest man I have ever met".

In 2019, Arkansas replaced Mr. Rose's statue in the National Statuary Hall Collection, where the statue of Coleman is going, with a statue of Johnny Cash.
I don't begrudge his music. But I never looked at Mr. Cash as a great statesman.
Based up who has been yanked, and who has been replaced, something tells me Mr. Young's statue may be heading to a place of fading prestige.

What's next? Tennessee adds a bust of Dolly Parton to the collection?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:28 pm

Not sure about a bust of Dolly Parton. But Dolly Parton's bust would be h_u_g_e!

Wellllll... la de frickin da

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:15 pm

I'm sure some of our dim posters feel Strom Thurmond would be worthy of a statue

― Noam Chomsky

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:55 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:15 pm
I'm sure some of our dim posters feel Strom Thurmond would be worthy of a statue
No one but you brought it up....
apparently you are the "dim poster".....

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:28 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Could put it right next to the one of Robert Byrd.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:04 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:28 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Could put it right next to the one of Robert Byrd.
Enjoy your fantasy while you can.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic