Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan's new speakers

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Michigan's new speakers

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:11 pm

Detroit's Joe Tate for the House
Grand Rapids' Winnie Brinks for the Senate
Neither are combative or come with a history of corruption.
Democratic state Rep. Joe Tate made history Thursday after he was selected to lead the Michigan House of Representatives in the upcoming 102nd Legislature as the first Black person ever to do so.

Tate, D-Detroit, is additionally not only the first Black lawmaker to become speaker of the House but the first Black lawmaker to ever oversee either of Michigan’s legislative chambers.

His change in role wasn’t the only piece of history Democrats made Thursday, Nov. 10. Senate Democrats, who held their elections earlier that same day, also made history in electing Sen. Winnie Brinks, D-Grand Rapids, as the first woman to ever hold the position of Senate majority leader in state history.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

A1B1C1D1

Re: Michigan's new speakers

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:25 pm

I believe the Democrats probably can hold both houses for the next four years. Realistically if mid-term voter turnout stays high Democrats could control the state indefinitely. I was not expecting mid-term turnout to be so strong.

It will be interesting to see if Michigan keeps its flat income tax, or adopts a millionaire tax. If Michigan goes back to only repealing the pension tax to benefit government workers and big 3 retirees, or broadens the tax break to 401k/403b employees and IRA's for business owners and farmers. Will Michigan adopt a property tax for automobiles to help pay for the roads as other southern states have done. Will the movement towards local tolls be stopped as Bay City has had to lease out their draw bridges for repairs because of indifference in Lansing.

Like the current Republicans, several of the Democrats are moderate so I don't expect Lansing to change much.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic