Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Time for Gun Control in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Circle Seven

Re: Time for Gun Control in Michigan

Post by Circle Seven » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:50 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:07 pm
Definitely rethink the BIG road-rebuilding projects. Instead of tearing up both I-75 and I-275 at the same time, only concentrate on ONE of them and give half that project to one company and half to the other. Finish in half the time then move over to the other big project. Maybe start at both ends so the company that's more efficient ends up getting a bigger share of the overall project.

I always wonder how much "man-hours" are wasted by all the commuters trying to slog their way though the construction zones because of the snail's pace they run at.
I got to thinking about the round-abouts they are putting in down in Monroe County on 75.
They just finished one at Exit 11 LaPlaisance Road (and the overpass was reduced to one way for two years, I kid you not).
Now they are in the midst of doing one at Swan Creek (Newport) Road. And I think there's one more going in down thru there somewhere.
Neither of these intersections were busy anytime I was going thru them. It's like why make a traffic circle just because you can?
Especially the latter Swan Creek. The road going to and from the brand spanking new traffic circle is rougher than course grit sandpaper.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:08 pm

Again I don't see how this becomes part of a legislative agenda. Maybe there should be a "how to build roads" discussion somewhere else.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:23 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:14 pm
The governor doesn't project manage construction. DOT is designed to be outside the political influence in our state. MDOT brings projects to a committee and the funding is appropriated. That's the extent of how politicians influence in projects.
Well, duh!

Good leaders don't manage ANY projects. They challenge the organization to devise better ways to accomplish their objectives.

I see the new legislature leadership is thinking about eliminating the "right to work" status in Michigan. Great way to encourage businesses to locate any operations here or have any of the existing ones expand (/sarc).

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:28 pm

I have mixed feelings on Right to Work. In my opinion only employers who have no plan to treat their employees fairly like this option. Why would we want laws that allow out of State corporations to abuse us?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:41 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:07 pm
Circle Seven wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:49 am
... As far as roads, they're getting enough money know. And there's enough road construction going on now. Let's finish what's currently going on before we add even more detours and lane closures. And let's get away from closing one lane for 20 miles, and they it takes two years for Two Men and a Truck to work their way down from one end to the other. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration. But look at road construction as you pass by. Do both sides really need to be down to one lane for miles and miles. And where's the workers? Yeah, there's a few. I've had old folks say when 75 was being built, they were averaging a mile every week of NEW construction. Now it takes 5 years to rebuilt? I dunno. ...
Definitely rethink the BIG road-rebuilding projects. Instead of tearing up both I-75 and I-275 at the same time, only concentrate on ONE of them and give half that project to one company and half to the other. Finish in half the time then move over to the other big project. Maybe start at both ends so the company that's more efficient ends up getting a bigger share of the overall project.

I always wonder how much "man-hours" are wasted by all the commuters trying to slog their way though the construction zones because of the snail's pace they run at.
I have to agree. I travel for work so I will cover a lot of ground, on any given day, I'll see 96, 696, 275, 23, 94, you name it. And that's before the normal roads like Grand River or Michigan Ave. My boss probably pays me more to sit in traffic than to do any actual work. What makes it worse is when 7 guys are standing around, pointing at things while one guy (maybe) is shoveling something. I can't leave my neighborhood without seeing fucking road cones.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:46 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:08 pm
Again I don't see how this becomes part of a legislative agenda. Maybe there should be a "how to build roads" discussion somewhere else.
You're the one that brought up road funding in your starting post. We are giving examples of how we feel there's no need for additional funding. Is that not germane to the conversation that you initiated?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:10 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:46 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:08 pm
You're the one that brought up road funding in your starting post. We are giving examples of how we feel there's no need for additional funding. Is that not germane to the conversation that you initiated?
So you are suggesting too much road repair?

― Noam Chomsky

Circle Seven

Discount Landscaping and Road Repair

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:09 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:10 am
Circle Seven wrote:
I'll type slowly. What myself and others are saying there's no need for additional funding every year. I say keep the amount spent per year about the same.

Additional funding means more avenues and boulevards under construction at the same time. More detours. More road and lane closures. I'm not sure about your neck of the woods, but down in SE Michigan, it's becoming just too difficult and time consuming to go from point A to point B.

Work on and finish a job before they start another. Have 30 or 40 guys from one company working on the same stretch of road. Not 4 or 5 workers spread across 4 or 5 different projects. Git-R-Done.

Another problem with additional funding is additional companies getting into the act. An excavating company that already has backhoes and bulldozers says "I can do that" because they smell money. But it becomes clear a year or two after they are done that they didn't know what they were doing. That happens more than you think.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:37 am

Ok, did you realize that Dixon used the road construction promise as a campaign issue?

Have you seen the many comments from the old fucks on the board about how the roads are horrible?

― Noam Chomsky

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:42 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:37 am
Ok, did you realize that Dixon used the road construction promise as a campaign issue?

Have you seen the many comments from the old fucks on the board about how the roads are horrible?
I'm sorry. I thought the discussion was future road funding. Not quite sure what your prattle has to do with what we were talking about. I'll leave you alone now.

Rate This

Re: Discount Landscaping and Road Repair

Post by Rate This » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:18 pm

Circle Seven wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:09 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:10 am
Circle Seven wrote:
I'll type slowly. What myself and others are saying there's no need for additional funding every year. I say keep the amount spent per year about the same.

Additional funding means more avenues and boulevards under construction at the same time. More detours. More road and lane closures. I'm not sure about your neck of the woods, but down in SE Michigan, it's becoming just too difficult and time consuming to go from point A to point B.

Work on and finish a job before they start another. Have 30 or 40 guys from one company working on the same stretch of road. Not 4 or 5 workers spread across 4 or 5 different projects. Git-R-Done.

Another problem with additional funding is additional companies getting into the act. An excavating company that already has backhoes and bulldozers says "I can do that" because they smell money. But it becomes clear a year or two after they are done that they didn't know what they were doing. That happens more than you think.
They usually go to another project while something sets or dries or whatever. There comes a point when you simply have to wait. We should be thankful they move to something else and don’t just take a week off.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:50 am

Instead of tearing up both I-75 and I-275 at the same time, only concentrate on ONE of them and give half that project to one company and half to the other. Finish in half the time then move over to the other big project. Maybe start at both ends so the company that's more efficient ends up getting a bigger share of the overall project.
Road construction contractors largely draw from the same labor pool, so there would be no advantage to splitting one project between multiple GCs.

Also, a unique financing arrangement is being used for I-75 whereby the GC is essentially fronting the cost for a good chunk of the project.
An excavating company that already has backhoes and bulldozers says "I can do that" because they smell money. But it becomes clear a year or two after they are done that they didn't know what they were doing. That happens more than you think.
I agree that MDOT mismanaged the warranty enforcement and perhaps vetting processes for years. After our deteriorating roads received increased publicity, they seem to have gotten their act together. Now, whenever they force a contractors to re-do a stretch of roadway, MDOT makes sure to publicize it so they can show to the public that they are actually following through with quality control.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:07 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:11 pm
Sorry for the clickbait, it was just too tempting.
So I'm curious - would you like to take away the gun from the guy who shot the elderly woman in the back who was collecting signatures for an anti-abortion petition?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:24 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:50 am
Instead of tearing up both I-75 and I-275 at the same time, only concentrate on ONE of them and give half that project to one company and half to the other. Finish in half the time then move over to the other big project. Maybe start at both ends so the company that's more efficient ends up getting a bigger share of the overall project.
Road construction contractors largely draw from the same labor pool, so there would be no advantage to splitting one project between multiple GCs.
That makes no sense, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Are you saying (for example) that the same pool of workers are doing both the I-75 and the I-275 projects? Even if so, if you divided the I-275 project into two segments -I96 to Cherry Hill (or Palmer) and then from there to I-94 then that project -all the way from 96 to 94- would be done in half the time and then they could move to I-75 and break that into two segments as well and complete in half the time.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:50 am
Also, a unique financing arrangement is being used for I-75 whereby the GC is essentially fronting the cost for a good chunk of the project.
Those arrangements are actually pretty intriguing, and almost approach privatizing the road with State oversight. Could actually be a win-win. Maybe we should do something similar with schools!

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:38 pm

TC: You write 'Let's start by limiting how many are in circulation.' Are you referring to guns, or Republicans?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic