Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer/Dixon debate 2

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Re: Whitmer/Dixon debate 2

Post by km1125 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:15 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:04 am
It's important to remember some absentee ballots have already been cast, which makes it more difficult for the challenger (in this case, Dixon) to close the gap via any late surge in favorability.

I will say Dixon's thinly veiled attempt to link tax incentives for the proposed Big Rapids battery plant as a potential propping up of the Chinese communist regime came across as tacky. The company in question is 28 percent owned by Volkswagen AG and also has a large cohort of American equity ownership, too. Whitmer should've rebutted Dixon's comments more assertively.

(More broadly, I do agree with the general viewpoint that tax incentives should be handed out very cautiously and should be allocated in a way that doesn't sabotage companies already located here who operate in the same industry.)

Similarly, I thought Whitmer's feigned melodrama regarding books vs. guns looked tacky and desperate.

I agree with others' predictions that Whitmer will probably escape with a narrow victory, probably a two or three percent margin. I think the absentee ballots that were cast early will be the difference market.
I agree with most of that. I think Dixon's "thinly veiled attempt" was poorly worded and confusing. Not enough time to articulate what it really meant, so she could/should have used another example.

To your last statement, I agree with that and again you can thank -or better put- the Whitmer campaign can thank the broadcast media in metro Detroit for not airing that first debate. Both debates should have been done before the FIRST vote was cast.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:29 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:15 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:04 am
It's important to remember some absentee ballots have already been cast, which makes it more difficult for the challenger (in this case, Dixon) to close the gap via any late surge in favorability.

I will say Dixon's thinly veiled attempt to link tax incentives for the proposed Big Rapids battery plant as a potential propping up of the Chinese communist regime came across as tacky. The company in question is 28 percent owned by Volkswagen AG and also has a large cohort of American equity ownership, too. Whitmer should've rebutted Dixon's comments more assertively.

(More broadly, I do agree with the general viewpoint that tax incentives should be handed out very cautiously and should be allocated in a way that doesn't sabotage companies already located here who operate in the same industry.)

Similarly, I thought Whitmer's feigned melodrama regarding books vs. guns looked tacky and desperate.

I agree with others' predictions that Whitmer will probably escape with a narrow victory, probably a two or three percent margin. I think the absentee ballots that were cast early will be the difference market.
I agree with most of that. I think Dixon's "thinly veiled attempt" was poorly worded and confusing. Not enough time to articulate what it really meant, so she could/should have used another example.

To your last statement, I agree with that and again you can thank -or better put- the Whitmer campaign can thank the broadcast media in metro Detroit for not airing that first debate. Both debates should have been done before the FIRST vote was cast.
The first debate is a YouTube search away. It’s 2022… folks who grew up learning the internet in the mid 90’s are in their 40’s now. It’s a non-issue.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:18 pm

Senior citizens are among the most reliable voters.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:23 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:18 pm
Senior citizens are among the most reliable voters.
That’s true. And if they want to find it someone can find it for them. If they complain about it someone will likely offer to get it for them. It’s not like they are all hermits living under rocks with no contact with more tech savvy people. It’s also not like computers are foreign objects… that phenomenon decreases by the year. They were as young as 40 in 1995. Surely a sizable percentage of them at the low end of senior citizen kept up with the times a bit.

And it was on radio… I assume they are the most reliable radio listeners…

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:43 pm

But voters are generally lazy too.

It's one thing if they tune in to Jeopardy or one of their other favorite programs and stumble on it and decide to sit through the debate if it's on, vs having to go search for it and find it somewhere.

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:08 pm

Sure Whitmer has had some shortcomings. But in reality, who hasn't? Hey but if the Maga Republicans can give Trumpy a pass then I sure as hell can give Whitmer a pass as well. As I have said before, I can no longer vote Republican in good conscience. They have burned their bridges, they have made their choices. I don't like the extremist wing of the party.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:38 pm

Whitmer is a tyrant pretending to be a moderate. That's hardly what I would call a "shortcoming." She was drunk with power during the first year and a half of the pandemic and she caused irreparable damage that will be still felt here for decades to come.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:38 pm
Whitmer is a tyrant pretending to be a moderate. That's hardly what I would call a "shortcoming." She was drunk with power during the first year and a half of the pandemic and she caused irreparable damage that will be still felt here for decades to come.
I enjoyed Dixon's commercials. Wife mom cancer survivor (and a complete novice puppet for Betsy Devos).
It is awfully hard to attack your fellow candidate when you have accomplished pretty much nothing except bankrupt your dad's company.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:47 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:09 pm
It is awfully hard to attack your fellow candidate when you have accomplished pretty much nothing except bankrupt your dad's company.
How many small businesses went bankrupt as a direct result of Whitmer shutting them down for months on end?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:01 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:47 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:09 pm
How many small businesses went bankrupt as a direct result of Whitmer shutting them down for months on end?
So you want to turn it over to somebody who ran something into the ground?

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:52 pm

I didn't even respond to TC's ridiculous assertion that Dixon helped bankrupt the company. The company in question was Michigan Steel, and it went bankrupt 3 and a half years after Dixon had already left. It was a company of over 300 employees, and Dixon's role there was that of a sales executive, during which time revenue actually went up. Nearly 2/3 of all steel foundries in the US closed down between 2000 and 2020, so there's nothing particularly unique about Michigan Steel, and certainly no evidence that I can find that Tudor Dixon specifically was in any way responsible for its downfall.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:35 am

I don't care for either of them. Is there another candidate I can vote for? Are the 'Third Party' parties nominating decent candidates for Governor?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:42 am

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:35 am
I don't care for either of them. Is there another candidate I can vote for? Are the 'Third Party' parties nominating decent candidates for Governor?
https://youtu.be/SnVycCqCRzg

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:12 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:52 pm
I didn't even respond to TC's ridiculous assertion that Dixon helped bankrupt the company. The company in question was Michigan Steel, and it went bankrupt 3 and a half years after Dixon had already left. It was a company of over 300 employees, and Dixon's role there was that of a sales executive, during which time revenue actually went up. Nearly 2/3 of all steel foundries in the US closed down between 2000 and 2020, so there's nothing particularly unique about Michigan Steel, and certainly no evidence that I can find that Tudor Dixon specifically was in any way responsible for its downfall.
So I think that rate this has a point... How do you think Dixon would have handled covid? She is absolutely no experience with any of the players she doesn't know how to run a business let alone a government.

For every complaint you might have about whitmer double it for someone with absolutely no experience except being picked by Betsy to be her puppet. And we all know what a shitty job she did in government office.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:49 am

If Dixon had done absolutely nothing about Covid other than sign whatever legislation came out of the Republican legislature, our state would have been better off than we were under Whitmer's reign.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic