Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer considers phased minimum wage increase

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Taco

Whitmer considers phased minimum wage increase

Post by Taco » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:46 pm

This doesn't impact me but I know it will for a lot of Michigan workers.

https://www.wlns.com/news/whitmer-consi ... -increase/

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Whitmer considers phased minimum wage increase

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:53 pm

I must admit, that is a very surprising position for a powerful incumbent Democrat to take on the minimum wage!

Cannot remember the last time any sitting Dem wanted to postpone or cancel a scheduled minimum wage increase.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:59 pm

These days with fast food places paying nearly $15 an hour how many people actually work for minimum wage and what's wrong with them?

I no longer directly engage trolls

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:36 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:59 pm
These days with fast food places paying nearly $15 an hour how many people actually work for minimum wage and what's wrong with them?
Restaurant workers and really any workers of the tip receiving variety make $3 or something an hour and make it up in tips. We still have to have people like that employed.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:12 pm

Hell must have frozen over, because I actually support the idea of directly tying minimum wage increases with inflation.

Are there any other high-profile Democrats who support doing this?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:22 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:12 pm
Hell must have frozen over, because I actually support the idea of directly tying minimum wage increases with inflation.

Are there any other high-profile Democrats who support doing this?
I don’t know that I’ve ever heard anyone support doing this. It’s a great idea. It would fix fighting over it certainly.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:44 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:22 pm
It’s a great idea. It would fix fighting over it certainly.
Me. 18 months ago:
bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:11 am
I guess I should have clarified - I'm opposed to a federal minimum wage and believe that each state should set its own (in-part for the reasons you mention). And I'd like to see it tied to inflation so that it is no longer a political issue that politicians can campaign on every 2-4 years.
And this is precisely why nobody supports this idea. Once you tie it to inflation, that's it. No longer an issue Democrats can campaign on.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:27 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:44 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:22 pm
It’s a great idea. It would fix fighting over it certainly.
Me. 18 months ago:
bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:11 am
I guess I should have clarified - I'm opposed to a federal minimum wage and believe that each state should set its own (in-part for the reasons you mention). And I'd like to see it tied to inflation so that it is no longer a political issue that politicians can campaign on every 2-4 years.
And this is precisely why nobody supports this idea. Once you tie it to inflation, that's it. No longer an issue Democrats can campaign on.
I don’t think businesses would be thrilled either.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:06 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:36 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Restaurant workers and really any workers of the tip receiving variety make $3 or something an hour and make it up in tips. We still have to have people like that employed.
$3.75 for restaurant employees to be precise. My comment wasn't really including them but I suppose I needed to make that clear.
To say it another way why would anyone be working for $9.87 an hour when $14-$15 jobs seem almost ubiquitous?

I no longer directly engage trolls

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:34 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:06 am
Rate This wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
$3.75 for restaurant employees to be precise. My comment wasn't really including them but I suppose I needed to make that clear.
To say it another way why would anyone be working for $9.87 an hour when $14-$15 jobs seem almost ubiquitous?
Well… why would anybody work for $3.75 instead of $9.87?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:01 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:34 am
craig11152 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:06 am
Rate This wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
Well… why would anybody work for $3.75 instead of $9.87?
Because you make WAY more in tips. When was the last time you tipped someone at McDonalds making that $9.87 wage?

Taco

Post by Taco » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:22 pm

Tipping...my take on that. It's GARBAGE! It's not up to the consumers to pay the wages of the servers. That falls onto the employers lap. We already contribute to their wage just by eating at their restaurant. They don't need tips in order to provide good service. They provide service to keep they're freaking job. It's kinda a requirement to "keep" ones job. Employers need to step up and pay their staff. It's the cost of doing business. If they can't afford to, then maybe they should look into another line of business. Yeah, yeah, people say the prices will go up. Lame argument. I see a lot of forums and social media sites like Tik Tok with a bunch of self entitled people whining and complaining about customers not leaving tips or small tips. Firstly, they full well knew this could be a problem before they took the job. I don't feel sorry for them. Secondly, I think it's trash that service fees are added to your bill or automatic tips. Again, it's not my job or anyone else's responsibility to pay their health insurance. Tipping is an archaic practice. In fact many countries don't tip and it's perfectly normal. But here? Well we're backasswards here.

For it is a human number

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:36 pm

Taco wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:22 pm
Tipping...my take on that. It's GARBAGE! It's not up to the consumers to pay the wages of the servers. That falls onto the employers lap. We already contribute to their wage just by eating at their restaurant. They don't need tips in order to provide good service. They provide service to keep they're freaking job. It's kinda a requirement to "keep" ones job. Employers need to step up and pay their staff. It's the cost of doing business. If they can't afford to, then maybe they should look into another line of business. Yeah, yeah, people say the prices will go up. Lame argument. I see a lot of forums and social media sites like Tik Tok with a bunch of self entitled people whining and complaining about customers not leaving tips or small tips. Firstly, they full well knew this could be a problem before they took the job. I don't feel sorry for them. Secondly, I think it's trash that service fees are added to your bill or automatic tips. Again, it's not my job or anyone else's responsibility to pay their health insurance. Tipping is an archaic practice. In fact many countries don't tip and it's perfectly normal. But here? Well we're backasswards here.
I'm not going to disagree with one word of that, but you have a LOT of minds to change if you're going to get rid of tips - even if just at restaurants!

Taco

Post by Taco » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:27 pm

Agreed. Until tipped workers take a stand, nothing will change. Restaurants will fight it because well, they don't wanna pay more. Granted a lot of money can be made from tips, but there may be times where little to no tips are given. The choice is get guaranteed money or take a chance to get more via tips or have it end up being a total bust. But the tipping system really needs a good looking at. I'm just sick of the "entitled" culture and how restaurants are cheap.
km1125 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:36 pm
Taco wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:22 pm
I'm not going to disagree with one word of that, but you have a LOT of minds to change if you're going to get rid of tips - even if just at restaurants!

For it is a human number

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:52 pm

Taco wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:27 pm
Agreed. Until tipped workers take a stand, nothing will change. Restaurants will fight it because well, they don't wanna pay more. Granted a lot of money can be made from tips, but there may be times where little to no tips are given. The choice is get guaranteed money or take a chance to get more via tips or have it end up being a total bust. But the tipping system really needs a good looking at. I'm just sick of the "entitled" culture and how restaurants are cheap.
I really should know more about the financials of a typical restaurant because we have several folks who run, manage and work in the industry, but I've never been that interested in finding out. Seems like they're always complaining about losing money on the business but yet they're able to finance another store and still manage to keep pretty nice houses and cars. They can't be 'losing' really at all, but I'm sure it's a tough business to manage.

I'd think you'd see a lot of flux in the service quality going away from tips, because the first impact is less staff. That might be fine when there are few customers, but busy days are going to have horrible service and wait times. It would be a greater challenge to correctly staff without being overstaffed and wasting a LOT of wages.

I was at one place a few weeks ago that tacked on a "service charge" to the bottom of the check. I have no reason to think about going back to that place. That kind of thing should be built into the menu price.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic