Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer considers phased minimum wage increase

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
craig11152

Re: Whitmer considers phased minimum wage increase

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:50 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:34 am
craig11152 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:06 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:36 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:59 pm
These days with fast food places paying nearly $15 an hour how many people actually work for minimum wage and what's wrong with them?
Restaurant workers and really any workers of the tip receiving variety make $3 or something an hour and make it up in tips. We still have to have people like that employed.
$3.75 for restaurant employees to be precise. My comment wasn't really including them but I suppose I needed to make that clear.
To say it another way why would anyone be working for $9.87 an hour when $14-$15 jobs seem almost ubiquitous?
Well… why would anybody work for $3.75 instead of $9.87?
Generally your posts are well thought out. But this one seems like you just want to argue.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:56 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:50 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:34 am
craig11152 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:06 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:36 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:59 pm
These days with fast food places paying nearly $15 an hour how many people actually work for minimum wage and what's wrong with them?
Restaurant workers and really any workers of the tip receiving variety make $3 or something an hour and make it up in tips. We still have to have people like that employed.
$3.75 for restaurant employees to be precise. My comment wasn't really including them but I suppose I needed to make that clear.
To say it another way why would anyone be working for $9.87 an hour when $14-$15 jobs seem almost ubiquitous?
Well… why would anybody work for $3.75 instead of $9.87?
Generally your posts are well thought out. But this one seems like you just want to argue.
Actually it’s a real question. If you can make $13 an hour so easily then why put yourself through a lot of stress for the POTENTIAL of making more than $3 and change an hour? All the people who work in restaurants can’t possibly be doing it for the love of food…

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:08 am

I would agree the whole tipping thing should just go away. But it just seems to be getting bigger with tip jars everywhere that didn't used to be.
But it's the system we have and I will continue to tip 20%-25% in a restaurant. When we get gift cards from the kids to eat out I might tip 50% since the actual meal was free for us.

What makes it more annoying is I don't carry a lot of cash anymore and when I do it's 20's from an ATM machine.
Over the last couple years we got a new stove, new refrigerator and new washer and dryer on three separate occasions.. For every delivery I had to preplan to have some 5's and 10's on hand to tip the delivery guys.

I worked in residential roofing for 28 years and nobody ever tipped us for doing their roof.
Outside the restaurant world it just seems kind of random who you are supposed to tip and who you aren't.
And just to be clear I KNOW an unofficial list exists but what's a bit random is who gets on the list.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:24 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:08 am
I would agree the whole tipping thing should just go away. But it just seems to be getting bigger with tip jars everywhere that didn't used to be.
But it's the system we have and I will continue to tip 20%-25% in a restaurant. When we get gift cards from the kids to eat out I might tip 50% since the actual meal was free for us.

What makes it more annoying is I don't carry a lot of cash anymore and when I do it's 20's from an ATM machine.
Over the last couple years we got a new stove, new refrigerator and new washer and dryer on three separate occasions.. For every delivery I had to preplan to have some 5's and 10's on hand to tip the delivery guys.

I worked in residential roofing for 28 years and nobody ever tipped us for doing their roof.
Outside the restaurant world it just seems kind of random who you are supposed to tip and who you aren't.
And just to be clear I KNOW an unofficial list exists but what's a bit random is who gets on the list.
I occasionally get a couple bucks for unloading luggage or being extremely helpful getting somebody pointed the right direction. Where the real tips are is the Airport shuttle to and from Metro… so I think there’s a class element to tipping too. My lower class to lower-middle class folks don’t tip like the well educated airline clientele. Also going into the airport seems to be stronger tipping than coming out… maybe fatigue is a factor?

I agree it’s getting harder to know who to tip and who not to. I always appreciate it but I’m never expecting it. I’ve had some folks look at me funny when I don’t which isn’t the best way to go about things I think.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:29 am

Let me start with disclaimers:
1. I am offering personal opinions based on personal observation
2. My observations are anecdotal and mostly from Ann Arbor, Pittsfield Township, Ypsilanti Township, and the various Grosse Pointes.
Rate This wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:56 am

Actually it’s a real question. If you can make $13 an hour so easily then why put yourself through a lot of stress for the POTENTIAL of making more than $3 and change an hour? All the people who work in restaurants can’t possibly be doing it for the love of food…
Somewhat random responses:

1. In some cases tipped restaurant workers make a lot more than the $14-$15 jobs I see posted out and about
What I wonder is if the dishwasher is making $9.87 and not getting bumped by some tip sharing pot why isn't he/she changing jobs?
2. In some cases it appears people are leaving the restaurant business based on what I see locally. Help wanted signs, limiting hours in some cases, seemingly short staffed in my personal opinion.
3. Some people, I know of 2 personally, love the business. I'm guessing those people are doing fairly well in terms of financial reward.
4. The ubiquity of 14-15 dollar jobs I claim is somewhat recent, since Covid began to reshape so much.

I am not implying a stance against raising minimum wage. I just wonder why people making $9.83 are still working those jobs when $15 jobs are seemingly unfilled? It's sort of a rhetorical question because I realize there is no singular answer.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:45 am

I know a bartender that works at an upscale seafood restaurant in the northern burbs. For the past 3 years, excluding the shutdown, he's made a little over $100,000 a year on a four night a week shift.

I'm pretty sure he would not be in favor of doing away with the tip system.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic