Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Anyone covering the debate tonight??

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Anyone covering the debate tonight??

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:38 pm

Is there any truth that Whitmer supported partial birth abortion? That seemed like the only jab that was decent from Dixon(if true).

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:43 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:38 pm
Is there any truth that Whitmer supported partial birth abortion? That seemed like the only jab that was decent from Dixon(if true).
I highly doubt it... Thats something lobbed at Democrats all the time... I have yet to see actual evidence of such support.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:36 am

I didn't watch the debate I had no interest in it as I have already made my mind up since it is just a rehash of talking points surprised that Whitmer wanted to debate since she is up. I got to say Whitmer & Dixion look like sisters and Dixion is more pretty & beautiful. I think Whitmer wins as it seems Michigan voters like to give governors 2 terms.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:49 am

NOLAN FINLEY
Finley: Give Tudor Dixon the match on points
Nolan Finley
The Detroit News
Hear this story
Those who thought veteran political puncher Gretchen Whitmer would knock untested novice Tudor Dixon off the debate stage Thursday night got a shock.

Dixon didn't buckle. In fact, in my view, she won this first woman-to-woman match, and not just because she remained standing. She took the fight to the governor. She was prepared and poised and never once seemed rattled, despite having never done this before. She scored points in every round.

For her part, Whitmer dodged questions and was more intent on warning about what Tudor Dixon would do if elected than she was detailing what she'd do with another four years. In fact, that vision thing was entirely missing.

Tudor Dixon could yet be a formidable opponent for the incumbent, if voters get the opportunity to see and hear more of her.
Whitmer telegraphed her bob-and-weave strategy from the start. Three times she refused to answer moderator Rick Albin's first question about what restrictions she would support on abortion.

Instead of forcibly defending her record, she attempted to keep the spotlight on Dixon. That was a bad call, because that's where Dixon wanted it. The challenger seemed to relish what amounted to her first real opportunity to introduce herself to Michigan voters.

Whitmer never delivered a roundhouse, instead relying on dismissive quips that never really landed. At one point, she chuckled and said, "I don't even know how to respond to that."

Well, that was the case throughout the evening.

Most pundits, including myself, expected Whitmer, who during the last presidential campaign served as Joe Biden's attack dog, to demolish Dixon with a flurry of zingers.

But it was Dixon who got off the best line of the night on the issue of supporting police: "It must be so embarrassing for the governor that she's actually on tape saying she supports the spirit of defunding police."
Whitmer whiffed on the question of what she would have done differently in her handling of the COVID-19 pandemic. She offered no self-reflection.

Dixon reminded viewers the governor stubbornly stuck to her policy of putting COVID patients in nursing homes, which critics say helped spread the virus to the most vulnerable population.

The governor, Dixon concluded, wouldn't say anything she'd do differently because, "she knows her response was so horrific."

When Whitmer boasted of her efforts to close the education gap, Dixon came back with, "She said she closed the gap, but what she really did was close the schools."

It was a solid debate, and an excellent night for Tudor Dixon, who hasn't had the money to get in front of the electorate in a major way.

It's unfortunate her chance to show her stuff comes so late in the campaign, with many voters having already filled out their absentee ballots.

Polls have suggested for weeks that this race is a runaway for Whitmer. I doubt that would have been the case had Dixon had the resources from the start to mount a more vigorous campaign. She's a natural.

But whether last night's performance gives her campaign the mojo it's been lacking is hard to say.

Typically, such an impressive display by a challenger would loosen donor wallets. And it could this time.

But Whitmer has 26 times more cash in her coffers than Dixon. GOP contributors may find funding a sprint too daunting. There's just one more debate, on Oct. 25.

Watching her in action last night, winning her first match and against a seasoned pro, no less, my conclusion is that Dixon could yet be a formidable opponent for the incumbent, if voters get the opportunity to see and hear more of her.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:23 am

No question the debate helped Dixon, which was expected. Dixon has no experience in Lansing and so a constant attack position was expected. Whitmer seemed a little dazed at times at all the attacks despite spending millions on ads doing the same thing to her opponent.
Agreed.

Dixon more than held her own and helped her cause with a strong debate performance. I do suspect the race will tighten when the next round or two of polling is released. Would be an even tighter race if the pro-Whitmer TV news outlets in Metro Detroit were willing to televise last night's debate.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:50 am

According to Insider Advantage in a poll done in the days leading up to the debate, Dixon leads Whitmer in one age group - and by a large margin: She leads 47-35 among people age 18-39.

Anybody have any theories as to why this is? I think it is backlash against the Covid lockdowns.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:02 am

Also, did anybody else catch all the noise during Dixon's closing statement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PES362RFnVo

Jump to 54:!5. Just before the camera cut to Dixon, you can see Whitmer look down and her hands go for her notes. Then during Dixon's closing statement, you can very clear hear Whitmer tearing up paper. Did she have a bit of a meltdown there?

kager

Post by kager » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:37 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:03 pm
:rollin Even cheap porcelain doesn't bend like that. Must be a tiktok mod.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:47 am

Gretchen looks rather pissed off while exiting the stage.

I've seen enough facial expressions and reactions now from Whitmer to suggest to me that she's PISSED about how this debate went. From multiple facial expressions to tearing up paper at the end to this abrupt and pissed-off-looking exit. She's not a happy camper. Dixon really got under her skin.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:47 am
Gretchen looks rather pissed off while exiting the stage.

I've seen enough facial expressions and reactions now from Whitmer to suggest to me that she's PISSED about how this debate went. From multiple facial expressions to tearing up paper at the end to this abrupt and pissed-off-looking exit. She's not a happy camper. Dixon really got under her skin.
This is 💯 why we needed a female nominee this year. Whitmer has nothing to campaign on, and she can't play the victim of an alleged bully when the opponent is not a male. I still think a lot has to go right for Dixon to win, but last night proved why Whitmer and her supporters have been dumping money in anti-Dixon ads.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:25 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 am
This is 💯 why we needed a female nominee this year. Whitmer has nothing to campaign on, and she can't play the victim of an alleged bully when the opponent is not a male. I still think a lot has to go right for Dixon to win, but last night proved why Whitmer and her supporters have been dumping money in anti-Dixon ads.
My analysis of where this race stands has certainly changed. I didn't think Dixon had a prayer of actually winning; now I'm not so sure. This would be the upset of the night if it happened - maybe even bigger than Trump winning in 2016. Whitmer's 12-point gap among young adults is shocking to me. Maybe more people ARE upset with her over the Covid lockdowns than I thought.

And yeah, I agree that Whitmer would have done much better in a debate against a male candidate. What we saw last night was a cat fight.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:08 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:25 am
Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 am
My analysis of where this race stands has certainly changed. I didn't think Dixon had a prayer of actually winning; now I'm not so sure. This would be the upset of the night if it happened - maybe even bigger than Trump winning in 2016. Whitmer's 12-point gap among young adults is shocking to me. Maybe more people ARE upset with her over the Covid lockdowns than I thought.

And yeah, I agree that Whitmer would have done much better in a debate against a male candidate. What we saw last night was a cat fight.
If I had someone standing there looking at me with a straight face saying things like “you glorify criminals” I’d probably be pissed off too. It’s entirely insane to suggest that ANY major candidate supports such things. I didn’t hear a single idea out of Dixon… just really bizarre stuff like this. Over and over again. Some of it nervously thrown out there with misplaced words… the works for a weak candidate. I don’t doubt the ability of people to be stupid and lap it up.

Debating against a cartoonish commentator — scratch that — entertainer is impossible.

What Whitmer should have done and wasn’t aggressive enough on was addressing Dixon directly and asking her if she had any policy positions or if she was going to come up with bizarre one liners all night. “I’m telling you my record and you are telling me I’m glorifying criminals. Really? Is that a serious idea? My record shows I have never said such an awful thing. For you to suggest that says to me you are desperate and have no solutions for the problems we as a state face. If you want to debate policy right here on this stage right now let’s have at it. But right now you’re wasting people’s time”.

In other words were that me I would have pounded her into the ground.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:40 am

So it sounds like you're admitting Whitmer wasn't fully prepared? She's doing exactly what Hillary did in 2016 - taking for granted that she already has things wrapped up.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:49 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:40 am
So it sounds like you're admitting Whitmer wasn't fully prepared? She's doing exactly what Hillary did in 2016 - taking for granted that she already has things wrapped up.
No I’m saying Tudor used a rhetorical technique of packing as many ridiculous things into a statement that it’s impossible to address all of them in 30 seconds. It’s a dirty way to do it. But she doesn’t have a platform evidently… it’s not like she said “Governor you’ve done X but here’s my plan I’ll do A B and C and people will benefit”… she said weird things like “The Governor glorifies criminals and wants to defund the police” both of which are patently false. But how the hell are you supposed to address and swat that away in 30 seconds? It’s next to impossible to address all of that in 30 seconds. It’s not that Whitmer was unprepared… it’s that Tudor did the typical Republican thing and didn’t do substance… she just blurted things out rapid fire. She doesn’t have a plan at all… it’s just a collection of complaints. I don’t see how that helps anybody.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:49 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:15 pm
bmw wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:03 pm
In an hours time I’m certain we can find the opposite picture… we can probably find 200 of each. What’s your point?
Don't ruin this moment, there will be so few in this cycle.

Also, keep in mind that very people tuned in...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic