Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

This Civil Forfeiture BS needs to stop!!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Re: This Civil Forfeiture BS needs to stop!!

Post by km1125 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:01 am
Those working in an official capacity, in most cases, should not have greater legal protection than the ordinary citizen.

I recognize that frivolous tort lawsuits is a risk. The way to dissuade those is to have penalties for litigants and lawyers who file such lawsuits.
This is really branching off from the Civil Forfeiture focus, but I disagree.

Public officials and especially LEO have a target on their back from many folks looking to take advantage of that position. They would be effectively made useless by non-stop liability challenges where the bulk would be completely frivolous and the remainder questionable at best. Perhaps one in a million would have some merit. You'd have to institute some mechanism for judging any merit before any case could move forward, that that process would be ripe for its own corruption.

Think we have too many Fieger and Morse commercials now?? Airwaves would be dominated with the commercials, only to have three or four one minute intervals every hour to see the actual show.

Might as well just eliminate the positions and see where we'd go as a society.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:23 am

Question:

I'm not sure it's apples to apples, BUT, years ago when we would take trips to State Fair and Andover or Irvington or Exteter to purchase some vein drain, and an undercover sting would be happening at a house, the police would confiscate the vehicle but not arrest you and then make you pay a grand or more to get your car out, no further charges, does this also fall under the "civil forfeiture" umbrella?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:30 am

If the police stops you for no reason, and then takes things out of your car just take things out of your car, is this divil forfeiture?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic