Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lena Epstein (U-M Regents candidate) seems like a real piece of work...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Lena Epstein (U-M Regents candidate) seems like a real piece of work...

Post by Rate This » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:41 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:02 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:51 am
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:24 am
Ironically, we have a conservative named Joseph Backus running for Macomb Community College Trustee. To my knowledge, no relation to Jeff. I am voting for him.

As far as the state candidates, I will make up my mind once the League of Women Voters' guide goes to press. That is other than Whitmer and Nessel. Jocelyn Benson did piss me off with the appointment system debacle. She will probably get my vote, but I want to read what the third party candidates have to say.
Ladies and gentleman… with an assist from MCRF… please welcome Secretary of State Karamo.
I said I wasn't making any judgment at all. No assist for anything. I have every right to vote 3rd party if I were to do anyways. I said I probably WILL vote for her.
Every right sure… but a vote for a third party siphons votes from Benson and makes it easier for Karamo to win. I shouldn’t have to point that out to you with as much railing against these folks as you do.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:12 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:51 am
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:24 am
Ironically, we have a conservative named Joseph Backus running for Macomb Community College Trustee. To my knowledge, no relation to Jeff. I am voting for him.

As far as the state candidates, I will make up my mind once the League of Women Voters' guide goes to press. That is other than Whitmer and Nessel. Jocelyn Benson did piss me off with the appointment system debacle. She will probably get my vote, but I want to read what the third party candidates have to say.
Ladies and gentleman… with an assist from MCRF… please welcome Secretary of State Karamo.
We have terrible choices for both AG and SOS.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:20 am

Every right sure… but a vote for a third party siphons votes from Benson and makes it easier for Karamo to win. I shouldn’t have to point that out to you with as much railing against these folks as you do.
Sorry, but I reject your logic, Rate This.

How does a vote for a third-party candidate "siphon" a vote from just one of the two major party candidates? It's a wash, as neither the GOP candidate nor the Dem candidate would be receiving the vote.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:20 am

How does a vote for a third-party candidate "siphon" a vote from just one of the two major party candidates? It's a wash, as neither the GOP candidate nor the Dem candidate would be receiving the vote.
Well actually it depends on which third party candidate he picks. If he picks the Green Party candidate that’s one away from Benson (are we really going to argue that absent the green candidate the vote would go to Karamo?) if he picks the libertarian that’s one away from Karamo. It’s unlikely someone inclined to vote libertarian would vote Benson absent the Libertarian. This assumes that someone just HAS to vote regardless of who is there. If they stay home then none of it matters. Third parties tend to play spoiler. Look at Ralph Nader in Florida. Absent him Gore would have certainly gotten more votes in his column. His folks weren’t going to vote Bush but they probably would have held their noses and gone Gore. If they stay home that’s another story.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:05 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:11 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

Well actually it depends on which third party candidate he picks. If he picks the Green Party candidate that’s one away from Benson (are we really going to argue that absent the green candidate the vote would go to Karamo?) if he picks the libertarian that’s one away from Karamo. It’s unlikely someone inclined to vote libertarian would vote Benson absent the Libertarian. This assumes that someone just HAS to vote regardless of who is there. If they stay home then none of it matters. Third parties tend to play spoiler. Look at Ralph Nader in Florida. Absent him Gore would have certainly gotten more votes in his column. His folks weren’t going to vote Bush but they probably would have held their noses and gone Gore. If they stay home that’s another story.
A little history for you: I was a self declared independent from 2007 to 2016. I voted for Chuck Baldwin in 2008 and Gary Johnson in 2012. And long timers of this board will remember that I voted for Bhagwan Dashairya for governor in 2006 because De Vos sucked(I was conservative at the time). I have never voted straight ticket in any election. I have lived my entire life in Macomb County, and we split our tickets here. I am no exception. I vote for people not by party and damn proud of it. And yes, I am still a Democrat.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:23 pm

Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

A little history for you: I was a self declared independent from 2007 to 2016. I voted for Chuck Baldwin in 2008 and Gary Johnson in 2012. And long timers of this board will remember that I voted for Bhagwan Dashairya for governor in 2006 because De Vos sucked(I was conservative at the time). I have never voted straight ticket in any election. I have lived my entire life in Macomb County, and we split our tickets here. I am no exception. I vote for people not by party and damn proud of it. And yes, I am still a Democrat.
We'll get you back on our side some day.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:29 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:23 pm
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

We'll get you back on our side some day.
I doubt that based on the fascist wing of your party continually pushing the envelope. If you turn to the likes of John Kasich and the compassionate conservatism that George W Bush preached in 2004, then we can talk. That wing of the party is such a minority.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:21 am

I'll vote 3RD party largely libertarian as I feel I'm more libertarian than conservative I'll vote for more moderate conservatives I'm not voting for the 2 evils 2016 was the last time I'll do that I kinda wish I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 than Trump. I voted for Jo the libertarian for president in 2020 I wonder if Justin Amash is going to run for president in 2024 for the libertarian party. SOS I'll vote for Benson as I did in 2018 AG will be one less vote for Dana Nessel who I can't stand worse AG in Michigan history and DePerno a election denier who is in a crazy town like Dana. Joe McHugh is who I'm voting for in AG race in Nov.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:25 am

Mary Buzuma is a good pick if you don't like Whitmer. I voted for her in 2014.

Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:40 am

Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:25 am
No, Tudor Dixon is the only choice if you don't like Tyrant Whitmer.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:40 am
He doesn’t get the spoiler thing does he?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:11 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:42 am
Matt wrote:
You don't get the tyranny of 2 parties thing, do you? The more voices we have, the stronger we are.

Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:16 pm

Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:11 pm
Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
You don't get the tyranny of 2 parties thing, do you? The more voices we have, the stronger we are.
And that’s fine as far as it goes. Use one of those when there isn’t somebody who wants to literally burn the voting apparatus we have down and start over running for office would you?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:18 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:16 pm
Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
And that’s fine as far as it goes. Use one of those when there isn’t somebody who wants to literally burn the voting apparatus we have down and start over would you?
Based on the poster's comments, they weren't going to vote for Whitmer. I was just giving them an option rather than think only Tudor or Gretchen where on the ballot. I am voting for Gretchen, but I also understand if people aren't 100% on board.

Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:21 pm

Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:18 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:16 pm
Rate This wrote:
Matt wrote:
And that’s fine as far as it goes. Use one of those when there isn’t somebody who wants to literally burn the voting apparatus we have down and start over would you?
Based on the poster's comments, they weren't going to vote for Whitmer. I was just giving them an option rather than think only Tudor or Gretchen where on the ballot. I am voting for Gretchen, but I also understand if people aren't 100% on board.
I do too but there’s a time and a place for protest. I’d love it if we had a multi-party system but I’m a politics watcher. Multi-party systems in practice if you actually examine them result in unstable governments that restart themselves every 6 months.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic